Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used Colorado, 2018 V6 Z71 4WD. I understand the Z71 has the locking differential?

This truck has no factory hitch, but is has a trailer button on the dash, What does this button do?

After adding a hitch, what are my towing options with this truck?

·
Registered
674 Posts
This will give you a brief explanation:
The tow/haul mode changes a vehicle's transmission shift patterns. Pulling a heavy load requires a lot of power. The tow/haul mode reduces shift cycles. Depending on the truck, it may also boost torque and engage an engine braking mode to help drivers maintain control while driving up and down hills.
Does my ranch truck need an aftermarket bumper?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm looking at a used Colorado, 2018 V6 Z71 4WD. I understand the Z71 has the locking differential?
Look in the glove box for the RPO codes. G80 would indicate Axle Positraction, Limited Slip

This truck has no factory hitch, but is has a trailer button on the dash, What does this button do?
Alters the transmission shift points to make better use of the power band

After adding a hitch, what are my towing options with this truck?
A bumper hitch allows up to 3,500 lbs
A class IV frame mount with 2" receiver would allow up to 7,000 lbs but highly recommend a weight distribution hitch setup in the upper end of the towing capacity.

View attachment 385974

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As others have pointed out. Its Tow/Haul mode. It changes the shifting profile of the transmission to better handle loads either while towing a trailer, or hauling a heavy load in the bed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. If I purchase I would add a hitch. I doubt I'd exceed 3000lbs.

Seems odd this truck has no hitch, It's loaded up very nicely.

·
Registered
535 Posts

My 2019 Z71 Colorado crew cab 4x4 was the same way. It was a dealer trade and for some reason the original dealership didn't order the hitch (don't cost much for factory accessory) I had my dealership put a hitch on it as part of the deal when bought truck.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts

You will already have the Tow/Haul mode which is good for when you do add your Hitch, you will be good to go. Be glad you have it already, even if you never use it. Not sure if all the LT trucks have it standard, but I would think all Z71 trucks would come standard with it. Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
buy a full factory rated receiver hitch, even if yoou do not plan to tow that much, and you will be good to go

·
Registered
4,868 Posts

Just your luck I guess that you didn't get the tow package. Yes, get yourself a hitch and you will be easily good for 3000lbs.

Mine is a LT, it has the tow package with the G80, I think that is how it works (you get both). Obviously it was an option on that truck you are looking at and I kind of doubt that is has the G80 locker either if no hitch...Like posted before, if you care you can check the label.

If you really want the locker I would look for a different truck, that is not so easy to install like a hitch.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
You will already have the Tow/Haul mode which is good for when you do add your Hitch, you will be good to go. Be glad you have it already, even if you never use it. Not sure if all the LT trucks have it standard, but I would think all Z71 trucks would come standard with it. Not 100% sure.
Apparently not?? He said this truck is a Z71 right? Maybe someone stole the hitch or put Z71 stickers on the bed?? :)

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Z71 standard with G80.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Z71 standard with G80.
Makes sense, Z71 is an off road package yes? ....I guess it's the other way around so to speak? If you have the hitch, (tow package) then you must have the G80? But you can have the G80 without a hitch.

Bottom line.....He will be good to go by adding a hitch, and it has the locker stander too. Good!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
My 2019 Z71 Colorado crew cab 4x4 was the same way. It was a dealer trade and for some reason the original dealership didn't order the hitch (don't cost much for factory accessory) I had my dealership put a hitch on it as part of the deal when bought truck.
I don't think the hitch is always a dealer add on anymore, they come from the factory too. Sounds like you got the same optioned truck as the OP.
Also , isn't the big 7 pin socket and the setup for trailer brake part of the tow package? I forgot about that stuff....

·
Registered
245 Posts
This guy seems sorta new to the game, it may be worth mentioning that the "locking differential" he's referring to is a govlock, and not the electrically actuated one. Some people consider it more of a limited slip diff since you can't lock on demand, which is pretty hair splitty, but sometimes you don't know what you don't know. The G80 works when the wheel speed on one side is ~100 RPM faster than the other, then pawls swing out via centrifugal force and grab the other wheel. It can be pretty violent, and is not awesome in a number of circumstances. Plenty functional in others. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't think the hitch is always a dealer add on anymore, they come from the factory too. Sounds like you got the same optioned truck as the OP.
Also , isn't the big 7 pin socket and the setup for trailer brake part of the tow package? I forgot about that stuff....
Theres a dummy cover on the back and when they put my hitch on it was replaced with the 7 pin connector just as factory would look (or if ordered hitch and it put on after truck arrived) In my case since putting the hitch on same as if ordered with it I don't know if the harness for that connector comes with the hitch or if bought separate, I kinda think separate. I do know I already had the harness under bumper that all that plugs into. They do have to take the bumper off to do it all. The trailer brake has to be ordered with truck from factory. It can't be put on after delivery. Wish it could be.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The truck I am interested in is a Z71. It's at a dealership. They tell me it has the G80, just no hitch.
Yup even with the Z71 4x4 the hitch itself is an accessory item that has to be ordered when truck is ordered from factory or will not have one on it (believe like only $250.00 option, don't know why dealerships don't order it) You can have it put on just as my post above says.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts