Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I emailed rough country about a week ago and for some reason never got a response. I want to order the 2” leveling struts but they say they fit years 15-20. I have a 2021. As far as I know nothing changed on our trucks. Did they just not update their product yet or will they truly not work. I’ve noticed this same thing on some side steps I was looking at but didn’t want to risk purchasing and than having to return if there was something different. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't know the answer but have those on my 2019 Colorado and they're great. I'd just give them a call I called about more info before I bought mine and they were very friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Nothing has changed on body/frame/suspension, you are good to go...

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
130 Posts
It will likely fit, but sometimes vehicle manufacturers will make a small change to a vehicle and not advertise it. Like GM went from a 4 piston front brake caliper to a 2 piston caliper on our trucks this year and didn’t mention it in any press material. So Rough Country isn’t going to guarantee that it will fit until they have tested their part on a 21 model, and it appears they haven’t done that yet. So give them a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the answer but have those on my 2019 Colorado and they're great. I'd just give them a call I called about more info before I bought mine and they were very friendly and helpful.
Do you have any photos you can share? Did you get a true 2” lift in the front? Some comments say it’s perfect, others say it’s more and others say less. I don’t see how it can be all 3 of those. Lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will likely fit, but sometimes vehicle manufacturers will make a small change to a vehicle and not advertise it. Like GM went from a 4 piston front brake caliper to a 2 piston caliper on our trucks this year and didn’t mention it in any press material. So Rough Country isn’t going to guarantee that it will fit until they have tested their part on a 21 model, and it appears they haven’t done that yet. So give them a call and see what they say.
Interesting. Isn’t going from 4 piston to 2 a downgrade?

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Interesting. Isn’t going from 4 piston to 2 a downgrade?

See this thread for that discussion, seems like there was an earlier discussion as well.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I would call the dealer and ask about any changes.
Dealer would be last to know.

Undocumented changes are the front brake calipers and the coolant reservoir, could be more.

Reactions: 442_mike and C21964

·
Registered
962 Posts
Do you have any photos you can share? Did you get a true 2” lift in the front? Some comments say it’s perfect, others say it’s more and others say less. I don’t see how it can be all 3 of those. Lol

No pictures I posted on another topic about these. They are on my 2019 crew cab 4x4 LT Colorado. I have the GM round aluminum tubes on the sides of truck also that cover the pinch welds. I took a long level and laid it on a flat surface that centered the bubble then put my truck in same spot and put level in center of the GM tubes and it showed dead on bubble centered. With the different shape of front and back fender wells just looking at height of them above tires can give a deceiving look as not level. Might also research my thread about how I leveled my headlights back to exact spot after kit put in.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
135 Posts
One small change i noticed on the 22' loaner truck i currently have is that the gear indicator illumination has been tamed compared to my 19' Z71. It actually dims with the dash and isnt obsurdly bright while driving at night. The backup camera however, is still blinding.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
One small change i noticed on the 22' loaner truck i currently have is that the gear indicator illumination has been tamed compared to my 19' Z71. It actually dims with the dash and isnt obsurdly bright while driving at night. The backup camera however, is still blinding.
You have a 2022 loaner?

·
Registered
542 Posts
At the top of my head....
  • A lot of electrical harnesses were changed in the 2019+ models. Mostly in cab stuff due to the new radio style. 2019 also integrates Automotive Ethernet throughout the infotainment and OnStar stuff. And I believe the HMICM was removed and made redundant.
  • New front cover for 2021. But pretty minor.
  • Pre drilled holes for 2019(?) for Bison kit.
  • Tailgate is same but new lettering option and provision for locking tailgate
*Pre drilled holes for OEM skid plates on 2017+

As you can see nothing substantial. Same suspension. Same frame. Etc...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is my first truck so I don’t know of any brands. I just did a little research and learned those would be better than the 2” spacer that just compresses the spring and makes the ride more harsh.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
228 Posts
This is my first truck so I don’t know of any brands. I just did a little research and learned those would be better than the 2” spacer that just compresses the spring and makes the ride more harsh.

You’re right, a complete strut replacement will ride better than a preload spacer on stock strut. Most aftermarket options will be stiffer than oem but some people say that the 2” rc strut is comparable to stock ride.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

Don't let people discourage you. Lot of opinions here, at least one for every donkey's rear end, oops, I mean member we have.

In terms of vendors and aftermarket, after Jeep Wranglers, trucks tend to have the most robust support. Granted, no one ever expected the GM Twins to be so popular, so the aftermarket for the Colorado/Canyon doesn't match the full size trucks or the Taco. But then, the Taco has remained pretty much unchanged for a generation now I believe. Still a lot of options to consider.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't let people discourage you. Lot of opinions here, at least one for every donkey's rear end, oops, I mean member we have.

In terms of vendors and aftermarket, after Jeep Wranglers, trucks tend to have the most robust support. Granted, no one ever expected the GM Twins to be so popular, so the aftermarket for the Colorado/Canyon doesn't match the full size trucks or the Taco. But then, the Taco has remained pretty much unchanged for a generation now I believe. Still a lot of options to consider.
Thanks. Is there any other options for 2” raised front struts to consider from different brands? The RC was the only ones I saw

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Thanks. Is there any other options for 2” raised front struts to consider from different brands? The RC was the only ones I saw

I never played with the suspension, but there are some good sources here. Do some searches - a lot of people suggest doing a google search pointed at this website, and the forum's search feature leaves much to be desired. Searches have to be more than 3 letters, but a search on "rough country" in quotes might get you to some alternatives as well. I typically go down to the box that defaults to RELEVANCE and change it to the DATE option, that usually is more relevant to my search needs.

·
Registered
143 Posts

There are a handful of leveling kit options. Bilstein, Eibach, Peak, and RC.

Bilstein - n2 monotube, uses stock springs. Stiffer ride, high quality strut.
Eibach - Newer to truck market, but reviews great. Up to 2.7” plus a stiffer ride. (Coilover option available as well)
Peak - coilover. Made by Eibach it would appear. Reviews well and very likely has characteristics similar to Eibach.
RC - N2 charged monotube. Rides very similar to other varieties, stiffer suspension. (I own this in a 6” and the ride is great!)
Fox/King - Race spec coilover applications. Quality is top tier on these, if you’re willing to tune/rebuild.

All of the above are great options.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts