Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first vehicle without a CD Player. Looking for suggestions on getting my CD collection onto a device to play them in my 2018 Colorado. Thanks!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you have an Apple device you can add all of your songs to iTunes with the CD drive on your computer and then sync them to your device. I'm sure there are other programs out there that can add each CD to a memory stick to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Copy CD to computer, copy from computer to USB stick. Operating system/software is up to you.

Reactions: DRMZ71 and N1CKV

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought a 32GB USB stick and loaded all my favourite songs, a few entire albums on it. it works amazing. you can use the DIC to swipe through your folders or however you want to set it up. I just put the USB in the port in the armrest. I have more music at my fingertipsin this truck than any vehicleIhave owned before!

Reactions: DRMZ71

·
Registered
319 Posts
As the above guys said...

I have a 16gb thumb drive with about 1k songs separated into many different folders.

Makes zero sense to have a CD player / cds with current technology.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What is a CD??
Is that one of those disks that you used to put in the stereo to play music?

J/K
Get a thumb drive and put all of your music on it, or use your phone, no more having to change disks to hear the the song you want, no more skipping from a scratched disk.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Been there done that.... converted all our CD's to MP3's using the computer. Something like 250 CD's....

I literally 'blew' (aka destroyed) 1 CD player & 1 DVD player that were installed in my computer. :smile2:

Once you get your music into MP3 format (or whatever format you're able to convert to these days) - you can take those files and put them anywhere. On your phone... on an USB stick...etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have found cds stack better on the back closet shelf than the cassettes and 8-tracks do. Burned them to MP3 format so more would fit. Put all mine on two usb drives. One for backup and one to keep in the truck. Gotta keep the cds for my 2006 Impala w/250K.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Haha...yep, wife and I are pretty much watching dust collect on our extensive music CD collection. She uses satellite radio, but I did what others recommend (rip them to USB drive). Good thing my '09 Mustang still has a player, so I can look cool on cruise nights. :D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Throw the CD in the computer drive and browse in it. Some have already MP3s of the same songs. If not, you need a CD Ripper software.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
I had downloaded all my CDs to an MP3 player, that would allow me to plug into a jack on my Wrangler radio. I had all the CDs downloaded to my computer. Thief, probably homeless, broke into my Jeep and stole all my CDs, a few other items a homeless person might like. Somehow he missed the MP3 player under the seat.

Upside to the theft, I no longer have to worry about dusting off the CDs. Doubt a thief in a hurry would even notice the mini-flash drive plugged in my center console as they hurriedly stole items.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Once you go Bluetooth and MP3 you never will go back.

Right now I have over 20,000 songs on random play on my phone.

I keep the CD's for back up and I also borrow CD's from the library and rip them. It takes some work to convert but you will never miss that old CD once you convert.

Note I do hate the MP3 and Itunes divide but when I rip I do both that way I have both formats available. It takes a few min longer but worth it should you change phones or pads.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first vehicle without a CD Player. Looking for suggestions on getting my CD collection onto a device to play them in my 2018 Colorado. Thanks!

Great input everyone!
Has anyone explored wireless, bluetooth, ssd external hard drives to load mp3s on? Was wondering if the life span of these devices might be better...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Great input everyone!
Has anyone explored wireless, bluetooth, ssd external hard drives to load mp3s on? Was wondering if the life span of these devices might be better...

Yes. . I've tried both an external HDD and SSD and they both worked well.
That said. . really very much an overkill. If you want, when you rip your CDs, put them on an external HDD or SSD in folders by either playlist or genre of music or separate folder for each CD title. Then you can copy them from the external drive [which will be your back up] to a small SD drive. Since we have 3 USB ports you can even put an SD drive in one or two ports and have a lot of music. I use 32GB or 64GB SD drives. They store plenty of songs and are low cost. I have duplicates for each car.
I actually don't care for mp3 fidelity so I rip the CDs to wav files which are larger, but a 32GB or 64GB SD drive will hold a hundreds of wav files. Wav files have the same fidelity as the CD you created it from. Mp3 are ok, but many can tell the difference. . . even in a car.

Here is two of my favorite SD drives for automotive USB use: - -

www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GBUltra-Drive-SDDD2-032G-GAM46-Black/dp/B01CVOLBPK/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CVOLBPK&pd_rd_r=c2196ecb-e43b-11e8-b82c-21b13ea86793&pd_rd_w=csXEN&pd_rd_wg=WmToK&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=WJTF6T6W3Y8BKSQJTEE6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=WJTF6T6W3Y8BKSQJTEE6

www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541780930&sr=1-5&keywords=sandisk%2Bfit&th=1

·
Registered
20 Posts
The manual isn't clear about what all is supported, but 320kbps .mp3 files should be safe. It does clearly say non-compressed WMA (CD files) and apple lossless are not supported.

My .02 - a 256 or 320 bit rate mp3 file is sufficient. USB storage is cheap these days, so if you are going to go through the work of ripping them, may as well rip them at 320kbps. Most of mine are at 256kpbs and that used to be my personal sweet spot for size vs. quality but storage cost now is nothing compared to what it was several years ago. Dropping down to 128kbps is an obvious loss to most, as is sound quality sent over bluetooth.

mp3 files have metafile information in them in something called a file tag, which stores things like the artist, music type, and even album art. If you get those tags all correct, then the head unit does a great job of making all the music on your USB drive easy to navigate as you can then sort by artist, music type, etc.

Some software methods will populate those tags automatically when you rip your CD's. It's been a LONG time since I've ripped my files, but you'll be much happier with how the head unit works if your mp3 files have those tags correctly populated. So find software that does it at the same time. If you are not able to do that then the last music player I used for MP3's was musicbee, and it had good tools to edit those files.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The manual isn't clear about what all is supported, but 320kbps .mp3 files should be safe. It does clearly say non-compressed WMA (CD files) and apple lossless are not supported.
WAV files are supported.

320kbps is ok, But Many can still tell the difference between the CD and a ripped mp3 even at the bit rate.
Ripping to a WAV file is identical to the CD . . which is also lossless.

And the WAV files are supported. I use them all the time in 3 of my GM vehicles from 2015 to 2017.

Conversely, when you use a WAV file to burn a new CD there is no conversion loss or compression.
https://fileinfo.com/help/cd_audio
https://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/rip-cd-to-wav.htm
"- WAV and AIFF are two audio formats that support 44.1 KHz, 16-bit, stereo audio, which is the standard audio specification used by audio CDs.- "
" -The wav file is a lossless audio format. When ripping CDs to wav files, it will not bring any loss in sound quality.- "

·
Registered
1 Posts
Copy CD to computer, copy from computer to USB stick. Operating system/software is up to you.
So, I now have my 750G of music (yes I’m old) on a removable SSD. They’re all tagged (genre, year, artist, etc) and all filed in folders. How does the GM audio system handle them. Does it index them every time I turn in the truck? Does it pick up where I left off? How do I navigate? Will Siri control it? Should I just buy a USB CD player and go old school?

Sure seems like it went from plugging an FM converter into my AM Radio to the fade out... click... fade in of 8 track to cassette tape getting eaten to CD‘s chopping up medleys to satellite/streaming subscriptions overnight and the enjoyment has gone out of listening to music. I experienced it first hand. Now I just want to play my music collection and not pay to stream or listen from the stars. Just want to create a good ol play list and be happy.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
So, I now have my 750G of music (yes I’m old) on a removable SSD. They’re all tagged (genre, year, artist, etc) and all filed in folders. How does the GM audio system handle them. Does it index them every time I turn in the truck? Does it pick up where I left off? How do I navigate? Will Siri control it? Should I just buy a USB CD player and go old school?

Sure seems like it went from plugging an FM converter into my AM Radio to the fade out... click... fade in of 8 track to cassette tape getting eaten to CD‘s chopping up medleys to satellite/streaming subscriptions overnight and the enjoyment has gone out of listening to music. I experienced it first hand. Now I just want to play my music collection and not pay to stream or listen from the stars. Just want to create a good ol play list and be happy.
Well... For me I created a Memory card of "folders". So I have a folders of whatever 'albums' I want on it. It is searchable on my truck by what it calls Folders. I get a feeling it's set up for downloading from itunes and well, ok, but that ain't my thing, I will never pay a F'ing $1 for a song, and I ain't poor.
So, I am in NO way of an expert, just relaying another old guys experience with this system. 2016 colly
Kind of funny, I just started throwing away my CD collection. Anyone want to make me an offer by CD let me know. (mostly 80's and 90s rock) I just crank up the ol' VPN and DL stuff now. Don't fret, I already bought it!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well... For me I created a Memory card of "folders". So I have a folders of whatever 'albums' I want on it. It is searchable on my truck by what it calls Folders. I get a feeling it's set up for downloading from itunes and well, ok, but that ain't my thing, I will never pay a F'ing $1 for a song, and I ain't poor.
So, I am in NO way of an expert, just relaying another old guys experience with this system. 2016 colly
Kind of funny, I just started throwing away my CD collection. Anyone want to make me an offer by CD let me know. (mostly 80's and 90s rock) I just crank up the ol' VPN and DL stuff now. Don't fret, I already bought it!
LMAO... the music police are watching you !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts