Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ozarks, right outside the gates of Fort Leonard Wood, MO. I love kayak fishing, and getting to the best spots requires some mild wheeling at times. Maybe if I had the right vehicle, I'd check some of the spots that have been on my wish list for while.

I currently own a Santa Cruz after selling my last truck for a good profit. It is a nice little "trucklet" but I still want to do some mild wheeling that the little Hyundai can't do. A ZR2 would be a nice change.

On paper the 2.7T looks like a great option for a mid size pickup. I know that I've really enjoyed the 2.5T in my Hyundai and the GM engine with 420 lb ft should be a fun setup.

I'm also seriously considering a Bronco ($$$$ and long waits) or waiting until the new Tacoma comes out.

I need to talk to a dealer here in Missouri who can give me some answers about possibly ordering a 2023 ZR2 and see what my options will be.

Picture of my Santa Cruz might trigger an emotional response in some.........
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
Not a Colorado, but it is very nice. I like it. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
The Ford Bronco has had some engine failures on one of their engines, some with just a few miles on them. Keep that in mind, do some research.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,339 Posts
Welcome Aboard.
Definitely do your research so that you find a vehicle that will best meet your needs.

Like Sy Sims used to say "Where An Educated Customer is Our Best Customer"

Reactions: jmitchelltfo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ford Bronco has had some engine failures on one of their engines, some with just a few miles on them. Keep that in mind, do some research.
Yeah the 2.7 ecoboost had some valve issues.
I do quite a bit of research before I make a decision, but there will always be the Monday and Friday trucks that sneak off the assembly line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Aboard.
Definitely do your research so that you find a vehicle that will best meet your needs.

Like Sy Sims used to say "Where An Educated Customer is Our Best Customer"
I normally wear the search button out on the forums, for vehicles that I’m looking at.

I could definitely see myself getting a Colorado ZR2 since the Silverado is bigger than I need now. My favorite pickup was a 2001 Silverado that I should have never sold. It had 260k on it after 14 years of trouble free service, and all I ever did was normal maintenance. I know the 2.7T is a totally different animal than that old 5.3, but I have always loved all my Chevy and GMC pickups.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
You probably know more about the 2023 Colorado's then dealer salesmen do right now. Really

there is a big thread on the 2023 with , when can they be ordered and when available at dealers..

I like the look of the Santa Cruz for a trucklet...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You probably know more about the 2023 Colorado's then dealer salesmen do right now. Really

there is a big thread on the 2023 with , when can they be ordered and when available at dealers..

I like the look of the Santa Cruz for a trucklet...
Unfortunately, most salespeople don’t set the bar very high. They normally know the tech and big highlights, but have little info about mechanical specs.
Hopefully I’ll find a dealer in Missouri that will treat me right and give me some accurate info to set up an order or reservation if I go that direction.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I live in Ozarks, right outside the gates of Fort Leonard Wood, MO. I love kayak fishing, and getting to the best spots requires some mild wheeling at times. Maybe if I had the right vehicle, I'd check some of the spots that have been on my wish list for while.

I currently own a Santa Cruz after selling my last truck for a good profit. It is a nice little "trucklet" but I still want to do some mild wheeling that the little Hyundai can't do. A ZR2 would be a nice change.

On paper the 2.7T looks like a great option for a mid size pickup. I know that I've really enjoyed the 2.5T in my Hyundai and the GM engine with 420 lb ft should be a fun setup.

I'm also seriously considering a Bronco ($$$$ and long waits) or waiting until the new Tacoma comes out.

I need to talk to a dealer here in Missouri who can give me some answers about possibly ordering a 2023 ZR2 and see what my options will be.

Picture of my Santa Cruz might trigger an emotional response in some.........
View attachment 432199
I can't believe you'd profane these forums with something like that. I mean seriously, what were you thinking ? You're really going to post a picture with what looks like a butterfly photobombing your vehicle ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't believe you'd profane these forums with something like that. I mean seriously, what were you thinking ? You're really going to post a picture with what looks like a butterfly photobombing your vehicle ?
I sure as hell did! That’s one of my favorite pictures and you have a sharp eye. You’re only the second person to mention it on the forums or FB groups that I’ve already posted it at.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Unfortunately, most salespeople don’t set the bar very high. They normally know the tech and big highlights, but have little info about mechanical specs.
Hopefully I’ll find a dealer in Missouri that will treat me right and give me some accurate info to set up an order or reservation if I go that direction.

I bought my ZR2 from Jim Falk over in Clinton, that was 5 years ago, at the time, they did not have any admin fees or anything else tacked on and I bought it for about $4k under MSRP, plus they delived it to my house in St. Peters for nothing....

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
FWIW I really think Chevy did great on the 2023 Colorado. I'm not a Chevy purist by any means and have owned Fords, Jeeps, and Chevy's (all with strengths and weaknesses), but I think they did good with the 2023 Colorado/Canyon.
First up is the proven engine from the 1500s in a much smaller/lighter truck​
More torque than the diesel​
More HP than the V6​
Nice modern interior that's not in your face​
They actually listened and put the 4wd selector nob next to the transmission shifter !​
Seemingly good mix of physical buttons and touch screen functionality (infotainment system very similar to my EUV, which I think is well thought out)​
Aggressive looks of a Tacoma/Santa Cruz​
Google lense actually says the new 2023 Colorado is a Tacoma when searching for similar pictures lol.​
RUMINT that the cool multifunction tailgate of the bigger trucks coming to at least the Canyon, maybe the Colorado as well.​

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW I really think Chevy did great on the 2023 Colorado. I'm not a Chevy purist by any means and have owned Fords, Jeeps, and Chevy's (all with strengths and weaknesses), but I think they did good with the 2023 Colorado/Canyon.
First up is the proven engine from the 1500s in a much smaller/lighter truck​
More torque than the diesel​
More HP than the V6​
Nice modern interior that's not in your face​
They actually listened and put the 4wd selector nob next to the transmission shifter !​
Seemingly good mix of physical buttons and touch screen functionality (infotainment system very similar to my EUV, which I think is well thought out)​
Aggressive looks of a Tacoma/Santa Cruz​
Google lense actually says the new 2023 Colorado is a Tacoma when searching for similar pictures lol.​
RUMINT that the cool multifunction tailgate of the bigger trucks coming to at least the Canyon, maybe the Colorado as well.​
It seems like Chevy is trying to make a run at putting a dent in Tacoma sales. I think TFL is right that 2023 might be the year that mid size pickups get taken more seriously, from a sales standpoint. I think the only thing missing is a hybrid version.
The F150 Powerboost and Jeep 4xE are a step in the right direction but I would love to see something like the 2.7T along with a 40-50 kWh battery.

If there was a pickup that could get a legitimate 40 mpg in most conditions………..I know it’s a dream right now, but probably not that far off since the Lighting and R1T are selling so much faster than they can produce them.
I know I’m not prepared for an EV pickup, but an efficient hybrid could give us the cake and let us eat it too.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Yes the Santa Cruze is limited.

The ZR2 has been and I expect it to remain the best off road mid size truck.

The new Toyota is still a mystery but it has been seen testing rear coil springs.

As for the Bronco it is a cool vehicle but struggling with quality issues as Ford cut a lot of Corners.
I hate Jeeps but I have driven both back to back and found the Jeep better. Less gimmicks and more quality.

I find the Ranger the same lots of corner cutting but no break on price. Cheaper brakes rear seats that don’t fold flat and at the same price as the GM truck less features. Highway ride in the FX is not good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the Santa Cruze is limited.

The ZR2 has been and I expect it to remain the best off road mid size truck.

The new Toyota is still a mystery but it has been seen testing rear coil springs.

As for the Bronco it is a cool vehicle but struggling with quality issues as Ford cut a lot of Corners.
I hate Jeeps but I have driven both back to back and found the Jeep better. Less gimmicks and more quality.

I find the Ranger the same lots of corner cutting but no break on price. Cheaper brakes rear seats that don’t fold flat and at the same price as the GM truck less features. Highway ride in the FX is not good.
There is still a lot of mystery with the Gen6 Ranger. I don’t think I’d ever pay Ranger Raptor prices, but the Tremor might be in my ballpark once they finally release it. I think it will be the 24 model year before they are released, along with the new Tacoma.

I think the Colorado has moved into the forefront of my search. If GM drops the pricing info I might put in an order today, but for now I’ll wait and see. I’d like a ZR2 but I might only be able to stomach the Trail Boss price.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
There is still a lot of mystery with the Gen6 Ranger. I don’t think I’d ever pay Ranger Raptor prices, but the Tremor might be in my ballpark once they finally release it. I think it will be the 24 model year before they are released, along with the new Tacoma.

I think the Colorado has moved into the forefront of my search. If GM drops the pricing info I might put in an order today, but for now I’ll wait and see. I’d like a ZR2 but I might only be able to stomach the Trail Boss price.
If you build a lot of your own truck the Trailboss is the best choice. It is the better deal. But the features like locking diffs etc on the ZR are good if you are into major off roading.

I saw a special edition Ford this year. Rattler. It was $45k and did not even have leather or even a bed liner. The ZR can be had loaded for that price.

Based on global prices the Raptor is just going to be way too expensive. Better just to pay more for the full size one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you build a lot of your own truck the Trailboss is the best choice. It is the better deal. But the features like locking diffs etc on the ZR are good if you are into major off roading.

I saw a special edition Ford this year. Rattler. It was $45k and did not even have leather or even a bed liner. The ZR can be had loaded for that price.

Based on global prices the Raptor is just going to be way too expensive. Better just to pay more for the full size one.
I was planning to build it since I am not in a hurry, but I figured that the ZR2 would push well past 50k for 2023.
I’d love to have the front locker and DSSV shocks, but those are “wants” and not “needs”.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nothing wrong with no brand loyalty. I've not had it either.

1990 - Bought a used Mazda (1984 Mazda B2000)
1995 - Bought a new Chevrolet (1995 C1500 Cheyenne)
2002 - Bought a new Nissan (2002 Nissan Frontier)
2016 - Bought a new GMC (2017 GMC Canyon)

Wow, I've only had 4 daily drivers in my 32+ years of driving...LOL.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nothing wrong with no brand loyalty. I've not had it either.

1990 - Bought a used Mazda
1995 - Bought a new Chevrolet
2002 - Bought a new Nissan
2016 - Bought a new GMC

Wow, I've only had 4 daily drivers in my life...LOL.
This will take a while, but it’s slow at work today 😂
I’ve owned a lot of cars for being 41, due to the fact that my dad taught me how to buy one that needs some TLC and then fix it up to sell or drive. If I wasn’t playing sports (or chasing girls), I was working on cars with my dad. He has always had a soft spot for Euro brands since they usually brought less money at the auctions here in Missouri (at least back in the 90’s).

3 different 5 series BMW’s
B4 Audi S4
A6 avant
Mercedes wagon from the 70’s (can’t remember which model)
Lots of Volvos from 240 to 950 ( probably 10 or more)
1992 Thunderbird SuperCoupe
1993 Mercury Cougar XR7
1992 Taurus
5 different Merkur Scorpio (first car I owned when I got my license)
Merkur Xr4ti (awesome car that I wish I still had)

1994 Bmw 320i
1998 Golf Gti
1988 YJ Wrangler
1995 Bonneville SSEI
1994 Oldsmobile 88 LSS
1996 Mazda MPV (family hauler)
2002 GMC Yukon XL Denali (family hauler)
1990 Integra 4 door with bottle fed LS/vtec swap (fast and furious debuting in theatres might have influenced this)
2009 CX9 (family hauler)
2007 G35 coupe, set up for autoX and back road rips through the Ozarks
2001 Silverado (most reliable truck I’ve ever owned)
3 different Ford Expeditions
2016 Jeep Cherokee
2021 Titan
2022 K5 GT
2022 Santa Cruz

After I got home from my second deployment, I had an itch that four wheels couldn’t scratch. I started riding motorcycles and rode like my hair was on fire every time the road got twisty.
2008 Suzuki M109R
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (detuned ZX-14 with bags)
2007 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2015 Honda NC700 (boring bike to keep points low on my license)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've had a couple of non-daily drivers that I think I placed a grand total of 5,000 miles on in 7+ years of ownership. Both had less than 50,000 on them when I sold them. Just couldn't justify the insurance, registration and upkeep for a garage queen.
1989 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible (3 years ownership)
2010 Audi A4 (4.5 years ownership)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts