Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is "old" news as it happened a few days ago, however I didn't see a thread posted yet.

Richard Zednik of the Florida Panthers was skating behind his teammate and a player from the opposing team. When his teammate was hit by the opposing player, his teammates skate came up in the air, hitting Zednik's neck, instantly cutting his carotid artery.

Quite amazing. He lost 5 pints of blood within seconds, still skated from one end of the ice to his players bench (then needed assistance standing). A pretty freak accident, and something you won't see in a long time, if ever again in the NHL.

Here's a recent story:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/h ... ml?cnn=yes

and here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjoByuFt1_8

When they zoom out and look at the ice, look at the pool of blood and the trail all the way to the bench!

Here's a pic of the area where he got hit. Look at the pool of blood with the trail of where he skated. The blood came out instantly of course.

Hooby

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yea, thats pretty insane.

I used to go around with a spot above the inside of my ankle exposed, got a skate right on that spot and it sliced it right open, but the strange thing is I didnt feel anything until I noticed the sock was all red.

But getting that in the neck.....different story, heesh.

·
Registered
412 Posts
When I heard it happened, I immediately thought of Malarchuk. That's twice in NHL history and both have been in the same building :shock:

***WARNING***

The video below is VERY graphic and should not be viewed with children present. If you thought Zednik's video was gruesome you may not want to see Clint Malarchuk's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4PenDwiPo

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Speedy28 said:
When I heard it happened, I immediately thought of Malarchuk. That's twice in NHL history and both have been in the same building :shock:

***WARNING***

The video below is VERY graphic and should not be viewed with children present. If you thought Zednik's video was gruesome you may not want to see Clint Malarchuk's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4PenDwiPo

Now thats fucked.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I saw that video and it grossed me out pretty bad... I don't even want to know what the Clint Malarchuk is about.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Wow 2 very scary incidents. Its one thing to see that crap in movies but to see all that blood squirting out like that is very frightning and you can't help but to think the guys dead no doubt.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dillusion said:
This is couple days old.

Hes now out of the hospital and doing fine. They said about 6 to 8 weeks before he can do his normal stuff again.
Yes, Kyle, we know this. See my first post. I said it was a couple of days old, and the article I included said he was in "good" condition. No need to remind people. They can read it for themselves. I posted the issue because it hadn't been posted yet.

Hooby

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
Hooby said:
Dillusion said:
This is couple days old.

Hes now out of the hospital and doing fine. They said about 6 to 8 weeks before he can do his normal stuff again.
Yes, Kyle, we know this. See my first post. I said it was a couple of days old, and the article I included said he was in "good" condition. No need to remind people. They can read it for themselves. I posted the issue because it hadn't been posted yet.

Hooby
Yes and I added extra info which you DIDNT have.

Sorry hes not out of the hospital just out of ICU. But is expected to go home soon.

So people can't read that in your post because its not there. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
im actualy suprised this dosnt happen alot more.

you take sharp blades, long sticks, angry players and this dosnt seem to unusual.

On the other hand, things like this make me watch hockey..one time i was waching a fight and a hockey game broke out

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dillusion said:
Hooby said:
Dillusion said:
This is couple days old.

Hooby
Yes and I added extra info which you DIDNT have.

Sorry hes not out of the hospital just out of ICU. But is expected to go home soon.

So people can't read that in your post because its not there. Thank you.
Yes, you may have added that he was doing good and out of the ICU, but you didn't have to REPEAT what was already known from my first post.....

Hooby

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dillusion said:
Just last night another player took a skate up high.

Good thing this time it was only a small cut right above the eye.
yeah, kyle, thats a good catch.

it's noteable that since the skate to the neck happened, anything involving a skate now is more news worthy. If anyone were to watch a typical hockey game in the NHL, big cuts and such happen every night. Maybe not from a skate always, but from a stick, a hit, etc. And it is hardly ever news worthy. Just typical hockey injury. However, Zednik's injury was not "typical".

Did you watch it happen kyle, or did you read about it? and was it an accident like what happened to Zednik? meaning did the skate fly up in the air and hit him, or was the guy on the ice?

I can't check the nhl info now, I shouldn't even be checking colorado fans at work lol

Hooby

·
Registered
251 Posts
...malarchuck's incident happened in the buffalo memorial auditorium back in 1989(i was there).....zednik's incident happened in the new hsbc arena,which is across the street from the aud...so no it didnt happen in the same building.....both players were treated at the same hospital though....buffalo general hospital.....

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
Hooby said:
Dillusion said:
Just last night another player took a skate up high.

Good thing this time it was only a small cut right above the eye.
yeah, kyle, thats a good catch.

it's noteable that since the skate to the neck happened, anything involving a skate now is more news worthy. If anyone were to watch a typical hockey game in the NHL, big cuts and such happen every night. Maybe not from a skate always, but from a stick, a hit, etc. And it is hardly ever news worthy. Just typical hockey injury. However, Zednik's injury was not "typical".

Did you watch it happen kyle, or did you read about it? and was it an accident like what happened to Zednik? meaning did the skate fly up in the air and hit him, or was the guy on the ice?

I can't check the nhl info now, I shouldn't even be checking colorado fans at work lol

Hooby
I saw it on ESPN right before I went to sleep.

It was the same thing. Foot went in the air.

This time it only hit right above his eye. And wasn't too big of a cut. He was able to return to the game.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dillusion said:
I saw it on ESPN right before I went to sleep.

It was the same thing. Foot went in the air.

This time it only hit right above his eye. And wasn't too big of a cut. He was able to return to the game.
Yeah, most "small" cuts won't keep a guy out more than a few shifts. Usually if needed, they'll be stitched up within a few minutes and then ready to go back into the game. One of the only sports where a quick stitch up and they'll go back into the game. Gotta love it!

Did you see who got hit this time?

Hooby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts