Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I have the new Garmin Tread XL Overland and I run it vertically, but you do have the option to run it horizontally too.
I guess I shouldn't have said the traditional GPS companies never realized something when I probably haven't used one of their products for probably 10 years. ;-)

Good to know Garmin at least figured it out. TomTom is probably still trying to figure out which side should face the driver! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I’m just glad I bought my Colorado when I did. There is no way I would trade it for one of these. Lack of a manual transmission is a deal breaker. Even though I don’t care for turbos, I could live with the L3B except for AFM and stop/start. Why put AFM on a 4-cylinder engine?
In 2022, how many truck manufacturers sell a light truck with manual transmission? Taco has some trim levels with manual. Assume Jeep Gladiator still has a manual.

As far as I know, GM, Ford, Ram, Hyundai and Honda ( I know, is it really a truck?) do not offer a manual transmission.

I think as much as anything, the automatic transmissions allows the manufacturers to better predict the gas mileage. With a manual, the driver can influence the MPGs more than the powers to be want to allow.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
It's not just trucks, cars with manual transmissions are very rare. It's just shocking to me that people buy a sports car with an automatic transmission. And I really don't understand that for hard off-roading either.

If I could get a 6 speed manual in a truck I'd pick that for towing over an 8 or 10 speed automatic (assuming it was rated for the weight).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally, I want to drive a truck, not a video game.

I do like that the HVAC system seems to still have hard buttons, etc., but looks pretty cheap in that photo. I think I had some knobs like that on an old RCA radio I had when I was a kid.
Exact opposite opinion here. I have much more faith in electrical and digital solutions than mechanical ones. I want my DIC to look like it's from the not too distant future. If it could look like a video game that'd be a cool HUD.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Exact opposite opinion here. I have much more faith in electrical and digital solutions than mechanical ones. I want my DIC to look like it's from the not too distant future. If it could look like a video game that'd be a cool HUD.
I love electronics. And I guess if the HVAC system, for instance, operated by voice control, I might be fine. Trying to poke an icon on a digital screen to cool down the cabin while bouncing down the road, or trail, means taking my eyes off the road.

I love the volume paddles on the back of the steering wheel, in keeping with this theme. Anytime the driver has to take the eyes off the road or trail, it is not good. Simply being able to reach out and touch a hard object, to feel around for a knob or button, best way to work. My Silverado has Homelink, and I have 3 buttons, I reach up to the overhead console, with my hand in the dark, feel for the 3 buttons, the left one opens the left garage door, the right one the right garage door.

I do a lot of things like a blind person does - I was told I could meet the standard for legally blind once on a job physical. Surgery in the 90s helped, although I suspect soon cataract surgery will be required. In any event, I learned to operate like a blind person as a child in many regards. Except for voice recognition system, I cannot imagine a blind person operating in today's touchscreen world.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I worry about how much of my truck will not be accessible if the touchscreen goes out. For example the rear camera when moving forward, but also all of the various settings. But if the touch screen controlled the heating and cooling the truck would be impossible to drive. It would be either too hot or too cold, or not defrosting, etc.

Of course the electronics that the push buttons control could go bad--I've had that happen. But you're still just dealing with that component, not virtually everything the truck does.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I worry about how much of my truck will not be accessible if the touchscreen goes out. For example the rear camera when moving forward, but also all of the various settings. But if the touch screen controlled the heating and cooling the truck would be impossible to drive. It would be either too hot or too cold, or not defrosting, etc.

Of course the electronics that the push buttons control could go bad--I've had that happen. But you're still just dealing with that component, not virtually everything the truck does.
These trucks (2nd Gen) are already so integrated that one hiccup and you ain't going no where. The days of a little duct tape and bailing wire and back on the road aren't going to happen. You have vehicles thrown into limp modes when emissions equipment fails, even now, on the 2nd gen, when you adjust the HVAC system at least with the auto HVAC version, the display shows what you have done. Many features on the big screen can be displayed on the little screen.

When I am running with my Android Auto Google Maps and a song comes on the radio and I want to know who the artist is, I don't hit the big screen, I toggle the DIC to display the artist and song title. I want to change radio stations, I hit the paddles on the left side of the steering wheel. It displays on the DIC showing me which selection I made.

The compass displays on the DIC, but can also display on the big screen, as I remember.

Need to control how your doors unlock, if the horn beeps, etc., you do that on the big screen.

A lot of these functions are not going to strand you, but there are a few that could really create a problem.

I love technology - but if I wanted to watch the Super Bowl, I would have turned off the Smithsonian Channel yesterday and watched the Super Bowl. In my truck, I need to get myself and my passengers and cargo from point A to B.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,011 Posts
Man, those painted steel wheels scream 80s... just like the fullsize ones... they look like the galvanized ones on my boat trailer.

• Haha
Reactions: Abe17ZR2

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,424 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
283 Posts
Okay, I’m going to chime in on the lack of a diesel option in the 3rd gens. To be truthful I “think” I wanted the diesel because the truck I was driving was a diesel. I was quite addicted to the torque of my 5.9 Cummins and figured that 2.8 was almost half of 5.9, right? No, not even close. My Canyon has plenty of power for my style of driving but if I were to drive this turbo 4 cylinder gas engine with it’s low end torque being put in the 3rd gens it would probably have everything I needed too. The 5.9 had a ridiculous amount of torque right off of the bottom. I towed around 6000 lbs. and it was effortless.
I’ve read that the 2.8 Duramax is, environmentally, the cleanest diesel that GM has ever produced. However, the amount of emissions control devices and electronic support for them has apparently grown to the point where it challenges reliability. I guess I’ll find out.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,759 Posts
Wow
Its a pick'em up truck
🙄

·
Registered
123 Posts
Both the next gen Canyon and Colorado in this article with the tight fitting . . .
Yep, an a similar article at GM Authority
2023 Colorado June 13

However on the GM Authority article includes this delay in production news . . . .

The 2023 Chevy Colorado will launch late in 2022, or at the beginning of 2023. Production of the current 2022 Chevy Colorado will not wind down completely until December of this year . . .

121 - 140 of 145 Posts