Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(originally the title of this thread was just for the next gen Colorado, but we are getting a lot of Canyon info as well which has been posted over the next several pages, so I've changed the thread title accordingly)

Finally, we have "spy" photos of the presumed 2023 Colorado. This makes my day, a better day. I've been worried we wouldn't see this truck until the 2024 model year due to all the delays going on...and I guess that could still happen but now it appears that a 2023 model is still a very real possibility.

Next-Gen, 2023 Chevy Colorado Spied For The First Time

Bring on the 3rd gen Colorado and Canyon...I'm ready. I will say admittedly, if the 2022 Ranger brings some seriously good changes along with good looks I could cross over (as the alleged hybrid version of the truck, similar to the F150 "Powerboost" sounds pretty great) but I don't think I could take that leap without seeing these two first. 2.7 with the 10 speed should be fantastic, but I hope to see other options with even more power.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
712 Posts
Doesn't look like much of a exterior change. Flatter fenders to match the full size line it appears. The biggest thing I want to see is the interior update. That's where gen two feel sorry in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Firehk and 422529

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
1,069 Posts
Yeah looks pretty similar to the current trucks from what I can see. Same mirrors, 3rd brake light, cab shape looks awfully similar. I hope I’m wrong though. I really wish they’d at least keep the v6. I really wouldn’t care to drive a 4 cylinder gas truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's not going to change much if at all in terms of size. It will be an updated version of the same platform, which I think is just fine. I do hope they can squeak in an extra inch or two of room in the cabin.

I like the V6 a lot actually, but if the 2.7 does become available there would be no reason to have the V6. I'm a bit of a naturally aspirated guy myself, but there's no way I wouldn't go for the large turbo 4 with gobs of low end torque.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
240 Posts
Honestly there are only 2 things I'd even care about for a next gen Colorado. First, adaptive cruise control or even better Super Cruise. Second, an EV (300+ mile range) or plug-in hybrid (with 100+ battery only range). Beyond those I'm hard pressed to think of anything else I'd want that the 2nd gens don't offer.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It appears that the new truck will carry much of the old truck with refinements. That is good as there is little wrong with the chassis and body structure.

They will be able to focus on the interior, Drive line and electronics as this will get the new GM electrical architecture.

No Hybrids are expected but you should get all the adaptive cruise and lane control etc.

Yes you will get LED lights and then complain they are not bright enough. LOL!

I hope they get the option on the tailgate like the full size trucks have. At least the kick up for holding cargo.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
245 Posts
Going to have to keep an eye on this. I love my 2nd generation diesel, but depending on what the refresh brings I may have to consider upgrading. That 2.7L intrigues me.

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
It appears that the new truck will carry much of the old truck with refinements. That is good as there is little wrong with the chassis and body structure.

They will be able to focus on the interior, Drive line and electronics as this will get the new GM electrical architecture.

No Hybrids are expected but you should get all the adaptive cruise and lane control etc.

Yes you will get LED lights and then complain they are not bright enough. LOL!

I hope they get the option on the tailgate like the full size trucks have. At least the kick up for holding cargo.
I think the tailgate has some issues with regards to the width to allow much on the narrower beds. I tried to look at that when GMC first released the multi-function tailgate and felt there were issues on the narrow beds.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I think the tailgate has some issues with regards to the width to allow much on the narrower beds. I tried to look at that when GMC first released the multi-function tailgate and felt there were issues on the narrow beds.
I am sure what they would do here would be a specific treatment. It would have to be changed some but could have similar features. Like the flip up I would love to see would not be difficult to do.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
3rd generation, no. Like my 2016 too much to think about it.

Reactions: Gerry Thornhough

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone in the comments pointed out that it looks to have a powersliding rear glass (although I don't see how you could possibly tell from those photos) but it also appears that the low hanging rear shock mounts have been moved up, so that's nice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There are about 10 of them here testing at high altitude. They have been here for about a month with the rest of the GM test fleet. There is a diesel version as well as a plugin hybrid (I think gas) version of the Colorado, Silverado, and I think a Tahoe thing. They charge them at Walmart every night and this year didn't hire guards. Last week they were testing with trailers. Thre is also a new plugin jybrid Hummer with no cammo on it, but it is missing all its body modeling.

·
Registered
229 Posts
10 Colorado trucks? Diesel and Hybrid? Wow. I don't know whether to believe your info or not, but I hope it's correct lol.
10 GM trucks or SUV's in a group, I think 2 are Colorado/Canyons. One I know is a diesel as they were putting diesel in at the gas station, the other I know is a hybrid as it was plugged in at the charging station, but it has a tail pipe.

GM or automakers don't test their own vehicles. They hire a 3rd party to drive them on a specific route to gather data. For every automaker in the world that includes Loveland pass, and later in the year Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in North America (closed in 2020). I happen to live at the base of Loveland pass in Silverthorne, so I see test vehicles year round all over town. The cheapest guys (like GM) stay at the Days Inn and party at Baker's Brewery. The fancier auto makers stay at the Best Western and party it up at Arapahoe Cafe. Literally any time of year Mon-Fri you will find test fleets at one of these two locations. Even the Asian and European cars will have plates from Michigan that say Mfg on them.

A few years ago when the mid engine Vettes were new, they setup a tent over the parking lot and had unarmed guards around where they parked them at night. GM upgraded these guys from the normal digs at the Day's Inn (it truly is a $250/night dump) to the best Western.

They are all typically young males, they are contractors from Michigan based companies (hence the plates), they drive like crap, and booze like they are frat brothers. With all the GM electrics showing up, and them pulling trailers, they have been at Walmart messing up the parking by trying to pull into the 6 chargers with their trailers. Hum, GM didn't think about that one, how does a truck pulling a trailer pull into a charger designed to fit one spot? Um, they take up 4 spots and one charger.

It is not just auto makers, they test semi's, RV's, motorcycles anything that is street legal can be spotted here daily. Tuners like Green Diesel also test vehicles here, but they don't use cammo as they are testing current vehicles.

I have tons of pictures, I will dig some up. I also frequently see them being towed by local towing companies as well as car hauler semi's unloading them for testing at the Day Inn again.

Note, I have never seen them testing them offroad at altitude.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whole parking lot of vehicles getting ready to run up Loveland pass. These are Dodge and Land Rovers. For some reason they hang out together which is likely because they are the same testing company.

Tough girl security guard coming to ask me a dumb question, why am I taking pictures and to stop. Ah huh. Well, I need to park here and I take a picture of my car to remember where I left it, in case your boys start buying rounds again for the while bar on the company card.

I don't know why they don't test them here? If they did then they might find out that the front CV joints on the Colorado are not much stronger than a toothpick.

Another GM, yesterday this one had a gooseneck, it is an electric hybrid as well.

Hybrid Land Rovers I presume but these were charging off of standard 120 outlets out the hotel room doors, This is on rib night at Arapahoe cafe, and the drivers were over than 10 beers into their evening by the time I joined them. Not these had Minnesotta Manufacturer plates which was new to me

I probably have more, I try and take pictures of them when I am not driving, or it is safe, but usually during the daytime they are out and about driving Loveland Pass, sometimes Ute pass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A hybrid would be as surprise as GM said they were not planning any hybrids.

Things have been fluid so never say never?

Get some photos of them charging. and you may make some money.
I'll head over to Walmart tonight and the Hummer and the Silverado should be there at the charging station, they have been there daily for the past two weeks. The Hummer is not towing a trailer, the truck has been towing a variety of trailers.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts