Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how long these have been out, but the nice thing about the latest version is they tuck in tighter when not fully extended for towing, as well as having a "sleeker" design. Most of us with the (genuine) Boost or Clearview mirrors appreciate how great they are for visibility when towing, but probably not in love with the way they look.

Reactions: dmaxjr

Registered
Not sure how long these have been out, but the nice thing about the latest version is they tuck in tighter when not fully extended for towing, as well as having a "sleeker" design. Most of us with the (genuine) Boost or Clearview mirrors appreciate how great they are for visibility when towing, but probably not in love with the way they look.

Huge improvement in aesthetics over gen 1 and Boost. Crazy expensive but I鈥檒l likely pull the trigger now as stock mirrors are ridiculously frustrating to see out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
It looks like the design might be worse for the passenger side convex mirror being blocked by the interior door trim. Too bad they couldn't have raised it up a bit. Also, it doesn't mention having the heater function in the second link posted above. (Edit: Heated is $50 more.)

Any idea what vehicle the basic unit is based off of? The Boost mirrors seem to be Silverado mirrors, which I assume would make glass replacement fairly easy.

Registered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the cost justification for these or Boost really depends on how much time you spend towing. We are on the road with our travel trailer at least 3 months of every year and having high quality tow mirrors that are solid and stable are really a necessity. If you only tow occasionally, some of the strap-on style are probably OK. The mirrors have common parts for multiple applications, so producing it for the Colorado/Canyon just means a unique base for that application, along with the right connectors for the power and heat. Good chart BTW. I believe these are completely a Clearview design, not adapted from another production/OEM truck mirror.

Reactions: Hunter62

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a huge negative for me. Factory mirror glass is easy to obtain even on the road.
Had not really thought about that but I have never had a glass failure of any kind on a mirror in many decades of driving, so not really something I would personally worry about.

Registered
Had not really thought about that but I have never had a glass failure of any kind on a mirror in many decades of driving, so not really something I would personally worry about.
I've had to buy mirror glass twice, but always for other people--like the daughter. But I think about things like that on the road. For motorhomes it's a reason I would prefer a Class C to a Class A. Windshield glass should be readily available and mechanics not too afraid to work on the vehicle. Once in my Fiat X-1/9 I was having issues driving down to California and the place I pulled into offered to lend me their tools rather than work on it themselves!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had to buy mirror glass twice, but always for other people--like the daughter. But I think about things like that on the road. For motorhomes it's a reason I would prefer a Class C to a Class A. Windshield glass should be readily available and mechanics not too afraid to work on the vehicle. Once in my Fiat X-1/9 I was having issues driving down to California and the place I pulled into offered to lend me their tools rather than work on it themselves!
Friends bought a very expensive Class A and the windshield cracked all the way across on the drive home from the dealer, that was just the start of numerous problems and they eventually turned it back in having only had one very problematic camping trip in it. There are some extremely high end models that are built well but man I have sure heard about a lot of problems with the $100K to $500k models (not just forums, but also friends), so you are right on about the advantages of a TV and Travel trailer you easily can work on yourself.

Registered
so you are right on about the advantages of a TV and Travel trailer you easily can work on yourself.
My wife just mentioned yesterday how much she liked this Freightliner Super-C that was behind us at the dump station. I like those due to the relative ease of maintenance (engine access), but just last night I was wondering how hard it would be to change the oil and filter on such a thing. I know it's expensive if you take it to a shop. But is it just a matter of getting a container large enough to hold all the oil, and likely dealing with maybe a messy large oil filter? Or is it something more? Probably something I'll never need to know, because yes I do like the trailer option.

Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
Nice that it comes with both plugs. The 2017 and earlier plus the 2018 and later plug.

Gesture Computer data storage Data storage device Usb cable Cable

Grom installing heated mirrors on mine.... That makes it a lot easier

Registered
These look much better on the the mid size trucks than the Gen 1 full size Silverado mirror. Option power fold is nice too. Not sure what is involved to get that function to work as our trucks don't come with power fold from factory.
I dee they mention how they brought the lower mirror up a bit so you can see it better on passenger side.
In parked position they don't stick out like dumbo ears as the Gen 1 and boost do. Still, lots of money.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Idk I like my boost mirrors much better. Those clearviews are a bit ugly and awkward looking
The Gen 1 are pretty much identical to the Boost. The New ones are based on customer input wanting something to tuck in closer to the body when not extended . Personally like the new Gen better and in fact enough so that I ordered a set, so different tastes for different folks. No wrong choice as they all work great for towing.

Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
The Gen 1 are pretty much identical to the Boost. The New ones are based on customer input wanting something to tuck in closer to the body when not extended . Personally like the new Gen better and in fact enough so that I ordered a set, so different tastes for different folks. No wrong choice as they all work great for towing.
Yes the Gen 1 Clearview are nearly identical to Boost Auto Parts Style 1 mirrors because they are both repurposed MY2003-MY2007 GM HD work truck mirrors, although those aren't the ones I am talking about.
Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror Automotive design Chair Automotive exterior

What I have had installed on my truck for a few years now are the Boost Auto Parts Style 2 mirrors. These are repurposed MY2014-MY2018 GM HD truck mirrors with several highly customizable LED lighting options and your choice of black, chrome, or paintable trim/caps.
Automotive lighting Chair Bumper Automotive design Rectangle
Chair Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Product Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Registered
I dee they mention how they brought the lower mirror up a bit so you can see it better on passenger side.
It would be interesting to see whether they succeeded in that. I mentioned that above thinking they hadn't fixed the problem. Note the closer in the mirror is the higher it needs to go due to that stupid interior trip piece that goes higher than the metal door outside.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the Gen 1 Clearview are nearly identical to Boost Auto Parts Style 1 mirrors because they are both repurposed MY2003-MY2007 GM HD work truck mirrors, although those aren't the ones I am talking about.

What I have had installed on my truck for a few years now are the Boost Auto Parts Style 2 mirrors. These are repurposed MY2014-MY2018 GM HD truck mirrors with several highly customizable LED lighting options and your choice of black, chrome, or paintable trim/caps.
Good info and pics might want to post that on the thread regarding Boost mirrors, although I think most are aware they are repurposed (high quality) GM fullsize truck mirrors
(122) Boost mirrors | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon (coloradofans.com)

Registered
2004 Colorado Ext Cab Z71 2021 Canyon AT4
Option power fold is nice too. Not sure what is involved to get that function to work as our trucks don't come with power fold from factory.
A Power fold option when I was buying my Boost mirrors might have gotten me to switch brands.. I liked being able to tuck them away in my full size trucks in tight parking spaces.

This was definitely a disappointing design flaw, though I鈥檓 not really sure who I鈥檇 prefer to blame, GM or the mirror guys. Repurposing (imho, intelligent production design) existing OEM products to adapt to our trucks is hard to fault them for. I would wager fully redesigning and producing a mirror that sits up high enough that is as well made as (my) Boost mirrors appear to be seems like it would drive up an already high cost item. Hard to fault them for that, especially when it鈥檚 easy to blame GM for the weird door panel design.

I loathe my First Gen Colorado OEM side mirrors with the big lift, it rendered them practically useless. As soon as I discovered the Clearview/Boost brands for my 21, I got on the mailing list and ended up saving quite a fat stack when I ordered mine.

And I don鈥檛 even have all the parts for my lift yet, my leafs are due to arrive middle of January. Visibility is king when driving a nice vehicle.

Reactions: dmaxjr

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A Power fold option when I was buying my Boost mirrors might have gotten me to switch brands.. I liked being able to tuck them away in my full size trucks in tight parking spaces.
I don't think the power fold is an option for the Clearview/Colorado mirrors, might be wrong about that. The demo they showed had a remote fob to do the power fold. Had that on my Silverado and it was handy. A friend has a RAM with OEM fixed tow mirrors that stick out a ridiculous amount, he has had folks park next to him and walk right into them, kind of funny but also kind of stupid design.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts