Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the money and bought HP Tuners Pro, but after staring at my computer screen for hours all I managed to do is remove the speed limiter. I know a good amount about trucks but the software has got me baffled. Is there some one willing to help me out learning the software and what changes to make.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you have basic questions shoot me a PM and Ill try to help you out. I have EFILive and an I6 but the engines are pretty much the same so the tricks I use on mine should work on yours too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
If you have basic questions shoot me a PM and Ill try to help you out. I have EFILive and an I6 but the engines are pretty much the same so the tricks I use on mine should work on yours too.
Similar engines but very different pcm's including him having a maf & you don't so very different.

But yeah torque management both engine & tranny, your speed limiters, rev limiters if you wanted to play with them, then you can start working on fuel & spark tuning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
foff667 said:
ScarabEpic22 said:
Similar engines but very different pcm's including him having a maf & you don't so very different.

But yeah torque management both engine & tranny, your speed limiters, rev limiters if you wanted to play with them, then you can start working on fuel & spark tuning.
I know man, but the 06 LL8s use the same PCM as the 04-08 I4/I5s...thats how Im going to get my s/c'ed I6 to run. :) 07 P12s are different than the 04-06 ones, at least for the 4.2L I6.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, updated previous post...

·
Registered
72 Posts
foff667 said:
I thought you were working on an E67 swap not a p12 swap? Sorry I was a bit confused because of your sig.
No prob man, I need to change that. I was originally looking to do an E67 swap but since the P10 is a PCM and the E67 is an ECM (so Id need a E67+ trans controller) there would be a lot of extra wiring. Going to do a P12 swap instead because they can run boost and Ive compared the 06 P12 vs 02 P10 and it looks like it might work. Time will tell, its a waiting game till I get done with school and have some time to rip my truck apart.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What advantages to you see the p12 having over the p10 you currently have?

You're saying they can run boost but the trailblazer OS I have the VE tables still only go to 105kpa meaning it will be alot of fudging for you to run SD in a boosted application.

-Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well from what Ive heard these I5 Coly guys using the P12 PCM are running W2W Powertrain S/C kits without getting REP/SES lights. That right there is a MAJOR hurdle for the TrailBlazer crowd. Since no one wants to make a 2Bar OS for the P10 I hope by swapping a P12 in I can at least run a s/c. I know there's going to be a lot of fudging and its not going to be the best tune (read very conservative on my part) but right now if I can get one to run using GM electronics that will be EPIC.

And I think I might end up buying a MAF from a junkyard so I dont have to run SD, still looking at that now...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oh they'll get REP/SES lights unless you tune for boost & change the parameters that cause REP mode or SES lights, however, that really shouldn't be much of an issue as long as your tuning software gives you access to the necessary parameters maybe efilive is missing the p0068 sanity check parameters needed in your Trailblazer application?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know they still need to tune for boost, but W2W sells a tune in HPT format that takes care of that. I do have the P0068 code, its labeled P0068: "MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation".

Ive talked to one owner of a W2W kit on his I5 and all he had to do for the tuning aspect (besides load the W2W tune) was change the MAF fail freq. and maybe one other thing. These params just arent in the P10 AFAIK, but I dont have the ability to throw a s/c kit on and see what codes it throws, I was planning on doing the PCM swap first and just getting it running then do the s/c. Simpler things first IMO.

·
Registered
485 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
I know they still need to tune for boost, but W2W sells a tune in HPT format that takes care of that. I do have the P0068 code, its labeled P0068: "MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation".

Ive talked to one owner of a W2W kit on his I5 and all he had to do for the tuning aspect (besides load the W2W tune) was change the MAF fail freq. and maybe one other thing. These params just arent in the P10 AFAIK, but I dont have the ability to throw a s/c kit on and see what codes it throws, I was planning on doing the PCM swap first and just getting it running then do the s/c. Simpler things first IMO.
Im not referring to the code, I'm referring to the diagnostic PARAMETER so you can turn off the test for said code which can cause REP. Simply turning off the ses light does nothing for REP. HP Tuners has a P0068 diagnostic parameter so you won't get REP, sounds like the software you're using is missing some vital parameters for you guys, hopefully they'll catch up at some point.

There isn't going to be a maf fail frequency in a p10 pcm since they don't use a maf sensor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ahh, you call it something else. I have 3 params for P0068, one controls whether the PCM looks at it and sees if it should look for the condition or not; another that hits the warning light; and the last one says how many times the condition has to be met before it triggers the light. I was looking at the wrong section of my tune, looks like I can turn the "test" off (Ive done it with some emissions codes, stupid EVAP canister, and dont get any report of the code in history or a light).

Please dont turn this into an EFILive vs HPTuners battle, Ive never said anything bad about HPTuners (and appreciate the Ford/Dodge support you are pursuing). Lets not go there, its been beaten to death waaay to many times.

I know about the MAF, no I6 used one til they got the P12 in 06 with the engine redesign... Wouldnt expect the param to be there in the P10, Ive just been typing furiously and not organizing my posts well. What I meant to say was that the P10 cant turn enough things off to let it accept the boosted airflow so it goes into REP and limp home mode, not cool.

Wish I could see a W2W tune file to see what they change for their tune but no such luck. :(

·
Registered
485 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
Wish I could see a W2W tune file to see what they change for their tune but no such luck. :(
Im sure Alvin/Kelly at pcmforless can get you a good price on HPTuners if your interested ;)

This is the parameter I was referring to, not the DTC listing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ahh, thanks for that man. Dont have the ability to tell it to turn off at xxxx rpm but I think I can just turn the test off completely (with the condition param).

Just got P12 support from EFILive (its waay late I know) and dont want to spend the extra $$$ on HPTuners unless I have to as thats money for my s/c setup... college kid on a tight budget :(. Plus we're supposed to be getting some new params for the P10 whenever EFILive finishes up testing them.

Thanks for the help Bill, and Ill probably have more Q's for ya in the coming months

·
Registered
485 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
Ahh, thanks for that man. Dont have the ability to tell it to turn off at xxxx rpm but I think I can just turn the test off completely (with the condition param).
They are almost always separate alot of fbody & vette guys run into a REP with the p1514 code but turning off the ses light or setting it to no error reported does nothing, there are actually tables similar to the screenshot that need to be modified to keep the vehicle out of REP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very interesting indeed...back into research mode I go!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts