Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new rig all set up, minus the 2" front and 1.5" in the rear - that's happening tomorrow.

Today was all about ripping and transferring everything from the Lemon to the adventure vehicle :grin2: the whole thing took 8 hours so far, still need to do the bull bar and lift.

Now, the warning about the mudflaps:

The wind vibration rubbed the paint down to the metal, I'm letting the mudflaps go with the white truck....for the final inspection :serious: .. and I won't be getting them again, They are the husky ones.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I was thinking about ordering these but now maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think you'd be fine with a 1-2mm rubber liner to tighten the free space and protect the affected area

Reactions: Mike-13

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Double edge sword type scenario. Go with no mudflaps & get rock chips down the side of your truck. Put them on & risk this.

I wonder if the GM OEM installation method (with the double sided tape), eliminates, or at least reduces this?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Double edge sword type scenario. Go with no mudflaps & get rock chips down the side of your truck. Put them on & risk this.

I wonder if the GM OEM installation method (with the double sided tape), eliminates, or at least reduces this?

Tape helps as it prevents movement. Dirt and movement are what cause the issues.

The tape is the first time I tried it and it should work. It keeps the dirt out and the movement from happening.

On my old trucks the silicone worked like a seal or gasket. No dirt in and not even any water. No movement and with a black flap it blended right in. Some of todays flaps are open so it is not as easy to do.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Tape helps as it prevents movement. Dirt and movement are what cause the issues.

The tape is the first time I tried it and it should work. It keeps the dirt out and the movement from happening.
I think the OEM flaps have wider area that overlaps the fender, so hopefully that combined with the 2 sided tape eliminates the movement which cause the paint rub through.

What a coincidence, after reading this thread I had to go to the dealer to pick up some parts & noticed this ZR2 out front that had a unique set of mud flaps.They look like they provide more coverage than either the OEM or Husky flaps. Probably not be the "Sportiest" looking, but they do look to provide good protection from road debris, not sure who makes them.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I think the OEM flaps have wider area that overlaps the fender, so hopefully that combined with the 2 sided tape eliminates the movement which cause the paint rub through.

The factory ones are hollow in side the screws are on one side the tape on the other and drains to let the water drain.

I like mine so far.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

The factory ones are hollow in side the screws are on one side the tape on the other and drains to let the water drain.

I like mine so far.
There not bad, I would prefer a little better protection...

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Now, the warning about the mudflaps:

The wind vibration rubbed the paint down to the metal, I'm letting the mudflaps go with the white truck....for the final inspection :serious: .. and I won't be getting them again, They are the husky ones.

The set I got like that (Husky) came with 4 3M clear shaped strips to put behind the flaps in those spots to prevent that.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
There not bad, I would prefer a little better protection...

Well here are the choices.

None and take the full hit.

Factory or similar size enough to keep you into the stone guard but not too long that you hit the flaps off road or climbing a curb.

Go floppy or longer and get full coverage and drag and in some cases look odd.

It just comes down to what works for ones needs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Putting flaps on the truck is one of two things.

The GM ones have tape that help secure them.

Also I have used black silicone to form a gasket and seal on the flat to the body with great success.

Movement is the problem and dirt. It works like sand paper.
I like the idea of black silicone, i might tranfer them with this idea, as long as I can mask the damage

I wrapped a length of 3M paint protection tape along where the mudflap reaches the paint, but now I'm wondering if it's thick enough.
i don't think tapem will help in the long run, if it's gouging metal to that extent, plastkc will do nothing

I'm getting ready to add some kind of extensions to my factory set. Still getting a little gravel flung off the side of my truck!
new red truck+gravel. fear...

Reactions: DougC

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm getting ready to add some kind of extensions to my factory set. Still getting a little gravel flung off the side of my truck!
I gave that a thought as well, but never actually tried anything yet. There is a horizontal flat on the bottom of the OEM flaps that might make attachment of an extension a little easier. If you try this post some pics.

You can't tell in the photo I posted above,but the rubber corners of the bumper are pitted up pretty good from being "sand blasted" with road debris.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Anyone know if the weather techs can create this issue as well?
I have them and they won't cause this, there's a small gap between the flaps and body so they won't rub.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.