Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you take it to an independent shop, keep one thing in mind, they do not have A dedicated flush machine for any one particular manufacturer, such as GM, so there flush machine is contaminated with all manufacturers fluids. I have seen YouTube videos that talked about this. Be careful with independent shops especially on complete transmission flushes. Flushes are not good, but in your case, that is the only possible solution.
I just had the dealer do the fluid flush and fill per the TSB. They didn't give me any guff about it either. So far, I am not convinced the fluid flush did anything. I am still getting the same feeling at around 1500 rpm between 45-55 mph. I have only driven about 125 miles since the flush, they said give it at least 200 miles for the trans computer to recalibrate. But if I don't notice a change after 200 miles, it's gonna go back for a further diagnosis.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the latest TSB/Flush with the new fluid done on mine back in April and I was really happy with it for a few months. My torque converter shudder was gone and the truck drove great again. The shudder is still gone, but now its back to its super rough 1-2 and 2-1 shifts. The worst is when I lightly accelerate when pulling out of a parking lot or in stop and go traffic, its doing this really weird 1-2 shift where its delayed and super slow and shoots up to 3k rpm when I'm barely touching the gas. I called the service manager at my dealership and he said to bring it back in and he'd have a tech ride with me and get me a loaner. I haven't had a chance to schedule it yet. The really weird 1-2 shift on light acceleration is what concerns me the most.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do any of you know if we can go ahead and just get a flush done with the new fluid even if we do not have the shudders? I assume that since there is "nothing wrong" I would have to pay. However, I would rather pay for a fluid flush than have to deal with this down the road since the old fluid is hydroscopic and all.

What is the new fluid type again?

Right now I have 30k miles on my 18' with no shudders. Honestly... even if the shudders didn't exist I would still want to do a filter change/fluid change at the least. I like to keep my trucks at least 250k miles typically(This one probably much longer). So I stay on the fluid changes... and give an overhaul of the wear items @ 150k miles just to keep it as reliable as new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The fluid change uses 24 quarts of fluid to make sure they push out all the old fluids, the technician that did mine was actually sent away to take a class that Chevy had for this fix.
There's special tools that are used
For the flush that Chevy has also issued.
I would check with the dealership to see if it would be covered.
My 2017 just had the first flush and the problem started at 40000 miles.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Transmission is shuddering like crazy now. Especially at 55mph cruising at 1700 RPMs and the shake is disgusting. I have an appointment on the 30th for the dealer to take the truck in. The V6 with the 8 speed tranny is not a fun combo if your truck is lucky to be a "shaky" one. Hopefully I will only need to take it in once. (fingers crossed)
just had the fluid changed to mobil. seems to have fixed mine and it was as bad as what seem to say yours is. good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab V6
1 Posts
When is the new trans and torque converter going to be out? Looking to buy but not until all trans problems are corrected. Thanks
If you do ensure you buy new, not used and as soon as it gives you any sign of problem take it in while it's under bumper to bumper, once you reach that magical 36,000 or 3 years GM will fight tooth and nail to have anything done under warranty. I'm experiencing transmission issues @ 41k and they will not look at until I spent $630.00 on an induction service, transmission fluid flush, differential oil change aside from the 45k maintenance oil change air filter and cabin air filter. I bought it used @ 36,800 and quickly learned the reason why the previews owner traded it in. Aside from the transmission problem I have the rear suspension spring leaf slap sound that is driving me insane, they also want an additional $13,500 to replace them with the same crappy ones so they can go bad again before 100k miles. I would get rid of it but I will be upside down on the loan. Nice looking truck but just like a pretty looking girl that you later discover is a crazed nut job.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you do ensure you buy new, not used and as soon as it gives you any sign of problem take it in while it's under bumper to bumper, once you reach that magical 36,000 or 3 years GM will fight tooth and nail to have anything done under warranty. I'm experiencing transmission issues @ 41k and they will not look at until I spent $630.00 on an induction service, transmission fluid flush, differential oil change aside from the 45k maintenance oil change air filter and cabin air filter. I bought it used @ 36,800 and quickly learned the reason why the previews owner traded it in. Aside from the transmission problem I have the rear suspension spring leaf slap sound that is driving me insane, they also want an additional $13,500 to replace them with the same crappy ones so they can go bad again before 100k miles. I would get rid of it but I will be upside down on the loan. Nice looking truck but just like a pretty looking girl that you later discover is a crazed nut job.
As far as the transmission if you can have service dept. duplicate your issue and they agree there is one it should be covered under the powertrain warranty just like the rest of the powertrain with no problem. If they give you trouble you should contact GM about the issue and the dealership that your having the problem with.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went to the local dealership here in Elizabeth City, NC. Just told them I had an extremely rare and mild shudder. I had 37k miles on the truck and they said I could get the flush for free up until 60k miles. Anyways, they just made an appointment for the flush with NO testing or further questions asked.

Here is the scoop though. I did not actually have the shudder. It just had some rough shifting every few weeks or so. I just wanted to do a flush on the trans since I had towed with it dozens of times and it was now well broken in.

After 500 miles or so. My transmission is now WAY WAY WAAAAY smoother shifting. It will hold overdrive gear at those low speeds way better now as well.

I plan to keep my truck for at least 10 years... preferably 20. I will keep driving it no matter the miles until then. So I want to take care of it. I plan to be one of those old dudes I see driving around still in their old square body S-10s in the area. lol

Those old trucks are always filled with crap and used for work. Still rolling along... Just have to keep up with maintenance... keep the rust off (to a degree)… and don't get into a bad accident. Which is hard since folks around here LOVE to pull out in front of you. I may upgrade the bumpers at some point. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had mine done about 1500 miles ago. it has fixed my problem as well as far as i know. a little concerned about internal parts wear from the old fluid. would like gmc to warranty the tranny up to 100 k due to their causing this. has anyone heard anything??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everybody
I am looking to buy a 2017 or newer Colorado or Canyon. I noticed a lot of reviews comments about the transmissions harsh shifting, shutters, ect on the various car sales sites. This thread has been the most informative of anything I have read so far, and I have read every post.
Test driven two trucks, both with around 20k miles on them and didn't really drive them that long, maybe 15 to 20 miles each. One of them did seem to shift into 2nd a little harsh, cold trans, under light throttle, but no clunk. I only noticed it that one time, after that it was fine. The other truck drove out fine imo. Couldn't make a deal on either one so still looking.
Here a question that I have... If a truck has gone thru warrany or GM service for this issue will it show on a carfax of similar? I have read dozens of carfax and other reports and never a specific mention of a TC replacement or fluid flush on anything. Whats up with that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Wait till the trans temperature gets to 120 deg and then see if the Shudder is present. Carfax may only show it was serviced and not specific to the work done. Dealer should be able to tell you if the flush was done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks trikermutha. The trucks that I looked at, neither one was at a GM dealership. I'm guessing any GM dealer would know with a vin#? So I could just call up the service dept at my nearest dealer and say hey I need a detailed service history(more than carfax) on a truck with vin #......"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everybody
I am looking to buy a 2017 or newer Colorado or Canyon. I noticed a lot of reviews comments about the transmissions harsh shifting, shutters, ect on the various car sales sites. This thread has been the most informative of anything I have read so far, and I have read every post.
Test driven two trucks, both with around 20k miles on them and didn't really drive them that long, maybe 15 to 20 miles each. One of them did seem to shift into 2nd a little harsh, cold trans, under light throttle, but no clunk. I only noticed it that one time, after that it was fine. The other truck drove out fine imo. Couldn't make a deal on either one so still looking.
Here a question that I have... If a truck has gone thru warrany or GM service for this issue will it show on a carfax of similar? I have read dozens of carfax and other reports and never a specific mention of a TC replacement or fluid flush on anything. Whats up with that? Thanks.
Posted the following in another thread but posting it here too because of the frustrations lots of us have had.

I too had the infamous shudder but I think GM finally has the fix.

History to show my bona fides: 2017 Colorado Crew Cab, V6, 8 speed. Owned 6 months then first sign of shudder. Flushed with new fluid. Drove for 2 months waiting for shudder to go away - no improvement. Back to shop, replaced torque converter and latest fluid. Worked fine for about a year, then shudder returned. Back to the shop. Went straight to Service Manager bypassing desk adviser because I was pissed at having to do this again.

Service Manager didn't insist on a diagnostic drive (the GM TSB only requires customer complaint, but I've heard that many dealerships require the diagnostic drive with a technician). Service Manager's first comment was "I know you've heard this before, but we really do have the fix now". He told me the fluid introduced in early 2019 really has addressed the issue. He said they have done the procedure on "several dozen" and it has worked for each one.

Six weeks now and the transmission is better than it has ever been. No shudders at all. The "hard shift" from first gear to second gear when engine is cold is greatly improved.

I have gone from being entirely frustrated with the truck to very happy with it again.

241 - 257 of 257 Posts