Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often think that if I didn't have a mid-size truck, the next option would be a SUV. When I look at the SUVs, both crossover and traditional, none of them give me the towing capabilities I want till I get to a Tahoe size. Of course, at that point, I am also talking above $50K MSRP, maybe even above $60k to get some of the options I have in my Canyon.

This article points to some changes in the 2021 Tahoe that will make a Tahoe a less likely candidate for me: They are increasing the length. One of the pushes on the SUVs at almost all levels seems to be the third row seating, and I think GM has taken their cues from people who want the Tahoe to be a replacement for minivans, etc. for soccer moms.

Remember when the Tahoe and its predessor, the full size Blazer, was a macho vehicle for offroad, etc? Now it is a glorified station wagon.

To me, the changes to the Tahoe just cry out for a SUV based on the Colorado/Canyon platform. We need a mid-size SUV with performance specs similar to our trucks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've been following that introduction and considering whether it would be a good towing vehicle. I've come to the conclusion: No!

First, I don't think they offer towing mirrors. True that's true of the Colorado/Canyon too, but at least we have the Boost Mirror option.

Second, I like having the option to have a view things under a T-cover, out of sight. And between someone breaking into my T-cover or breaking into my vehicle while I'm on vacation, I'd far prefer the former.

As an aside, I was also looking at the Silverado options, and noted that underseat backseat storage is a $250 option!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I think the move to IRS, and the increased interior volume will please many buyers. The Z71 looks pretty cool. Three engine options are nice. Interior is much nicer than the 1500 trucks.

Seems like a job well done by Chevy. Families that can actually afford one should be pretty happy.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the move to IRS, and the increased interior volume will please many buyers. The Z71 looks pretty cool. Three engine options are nice. Interior is much nicer than the 1500 trucks.

Seems like a job well done by Chevy. Families that can actually afford one should be pretty happy.
Well, I think the IRS moving in on GM is quite a mouthful: The Infernal Revenue Service getting involved in Government Motors is going to really excite the conspiracy theorists.

In a more serious note. the Independent Rear Suspension is a good thing, and to the extent that allows a lower deck, better leg room, etc., all good things. I really am mostly unhappy with the length increase. My 2001 Tahoe had 3rd row seating, unfortunately, in that design, the seats did not fold into the floorboard but had to be removed and stored. I actually built a shelving unit for my garage back then and I specifically dedicated a location for the 3rd row seats. I saw an ad that had a cute little blonde holding the two halves of the 3rd row seats like they were light as a feather and figured she could kick my rear, cuz I considered them pretty heavy.

I didn't see anything on engine choices, assuming it includes maybe the 5.3, 6,2, and the small turbo GM put in the FS pickups?

I don't care for the new front ends on these SUVs nor the FS trucks. Just a taste preference I am sure. I think the Sierras look ok, so maybe the Yukon would look okay to me.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The new Tahoe will have a wheelbase of 120.9". My CCLB has a wheelbase of 140.5", the CCSB is 128.3" with overall lengths of 224.6" and 212.4" respectively. You're really worried about the Tahoe's new overall length of 210.7"? It's still shorter than either of the Crew Cab twins in any way that matters.

So yes, the Tahoe is longer...but I don't see why the length would bother you if the length of your truck doesn't.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
So yes, the Tahoe is longer...but I don't see why the length would bother you if the length of your truck doesn't.
Wouldn't longer be better for towing, all other things being equal?

The shorter length Tahoe would fit really nice in my garage. It wouldn't be as difficult to walk around. But the increased height would keep it from fitting.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

The shorter length Tahoe would fit really nice in my garage. It wouldn't be as difficult to walk around. But the increased height would keep it from fitting.
Yeah, longer wheelbase makes for more stable towing.

How short is your garage door/ceiling?! The Tahoe is only about 5" taller than our trucks, I can't imagine having a garage so short that it couldn't fit.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new Tahoe will have a wheelbase of 120.9". My CCLB has a wheelbase of 140.5", the CCSB is 128.3" with overall lengths of 224.6" and 212.4" respectively. You're really worried about the Tahoe's new overall length of 210.7"? It's still shorter than either of the Crew Cab twins in any way that matters.

The longer length would be better for towing I believe.

As far as the length versus our trucks, I fear that the extra length is going to increase the turning radius a bit. I have to say I really liked the overall driveability of my 2001 Tahoe, but adding length is not something I would care for.

All of this is pretty unimportant, I can't see paying $60K for a decently optioned out Tahoe, and I suspect that is where they are going to come in for MSRP. Granted, daughter picked up a 2017 Tahoe last year, a demo, for less than $40K. It isn't a high end trim, the liftgate is manual even. But a nice vehicle, and with the 3rd row seating, she has hauled herself, husband, 3 adult grandkids, 1 great grandkid in car seat with all the fixins a toddler requires, and a dog comfortably to visit.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I can understand not wanting to make the turning radius worse (My wife's '16 Grand Cherokee turns on a dime compared to my truck which is great in parking lots), but I don't see how it would be any worse than the twins which have a 20.65' to 22.3′ turning radius, the 2020 Tahoe has a 19.5' turning radius. I don't think the 2021 SUVs are going to be too much different and shouldn't be worse than a CCSB twin. So I still say if you don't mind how your CCSB turns then you should be happy with the 2021 Tahoe in that regard.

It's all relative. I've had HD diesel pickups with a 160" wheelbase and a 26 foot turning radius. Makes my CCLB Canyon feel like a gymnast. :D

I don't see myself getting rid of my Canyon anytime soon, but at this point if I were to do it then it would likely be for a diesel Tahoe.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How short is your garage door/ceiling?! The Tahoe is only about 5" taller than our trucks, I can't imagine having a garage so short that it couldn't fit.
I don't remember the measurement, but I had to buy a shorter antenna to fit it in. I could get a new door and gain a few inches, because it doesn't open to the same height as the opening. It doesn't help that my driveway slopes down, so the truck is raised up slightly when entering.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I go pretty light on options, so maybe $50,000, but that's significantly more than a similarly configured Colorado.
Entry level MSRP on a 2020 Tahoe is right at $50K. You would need to go extremely light on the options, or negotiate a good deal.

People continually complain about the price of our trucks, the lack of certain options, the lack of gold plated interior trim, etc. At the end of the day, for what you get, a truck with decent MPGs, a 7K tow capability, and options that just a few years ago were only in luxury vehicles, our trucks are a good value. Stepping up to some of the things we are lacking in a $30K Colorado with a 7k tow option puts you in a $40-$50 vehicle if not more.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
People continually complain about the price of our trucks, the lack of certain options, the lack of gold plated interior trim, etc. At the end of the day, for what you get, a truck with decent MPGs, a 7K tow capability, and options that just a few years ago were only in luxury vehicles, our trucks are a good value. Stepping up to some of the things we are lacking in a $30K Colorado with a 7k tow option puts you in a $40-$50 vehicle if not more.
I would agree with a lot of that, but I look at it from a different direction. My 89 Ranger STX had an MSRP of about $20k, and although well equipped for the time, it didn't have 4 wheel anti-lock brakes, air bags, any kind of camera, leather or heated seats/steering weren't even options, etc. And with a manual transmission the tow rating was only 1,500 pounds. Adjust for inflation and the Colorados are bargain.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would agree with a lot of that, but I look at it from a different direction. My 89 Ranger STX had an MSRP of about $20k, and although well equipped for the time, it didn't have 4 wheel anti-lock brakes, air bags, any kind of camera, leather or heated seats/steering weren't even options, etc. And with a manual transmission the tow rating was only 1,500 pounds. Adjust for inflation and the Colorados are bargain.
I agree, especially when you adjust for inflation.

I look at what I paid for certain vehicles and the prices are sometimes odd. I can't remember off hand what I paid for my 1985 through 1995 vehicles, but I paid $32K for my loaded for the time 2001 Tahoe, $23K for my 2009 Wrangler, and then $32K for a pretty decently loaded 2015 Canyon. Actually, the only real thing I could have added to my Canyon was 4WD.

Paid $32K for a 2017 Nissan Rogue. Now the Rogue is a nice vehicle, but it can't tow anything with the CVT transmission, it doesn't seat anymore people than my truck, but it does get a bit better gas mileage. In 2017, it didn't even have Apple Carplay or Android Auto. (will pay it off next month too!)

Our trucks are quite the bargain in my eyes, especially when I try to find something different on the market. Can't quite visualize my fat arse in a Cruze.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
When the latest generation of 1500s was released, they were able to slightly lengthen the wheelbase, while maintaining the turning radius, I believe by increasing the steering angle. I would expect a similar result on the Tahoe.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The new one is nice, but I’ll pass on this latest generation and keep my daily driver, a 1998 Tahoe Z71 2-door. No third-row seating need here. :cool:

Positives:
Overall length: 188.0”
Engine: 5.7L V8
Fuel capacity: 30 gallons
Curb weight: 4,952 lbs. (It’s solid!)
Real tailgate, not a liftgate
No payments

Negatives:
184,000 miles
12-13 miles per gallon
No warranty
No Homelink, OnStar, Sirius XM, Apple CarPlay, or LED’s (I’m okay w/o all this stuff) :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The new one is nice, but I’ll pass on this latest generation and keep my daily driver, a 1998 Tahoe Z71 2-door. No third-row seating need here. :cool:
Very nice, very clean.

I grew up in the back of a '93 Blazer Sport.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It's just too freaking big. The whole lineup of full size 1500s has grown a bunch and that's what pushed me down to a Canyon.
Twice in the past two weeks I've seen some older Silverados (not sure how much older) that are about the same size if not smaller than my Colorado. The beds have definitely been lower.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts