Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! Proud owner of a 'new to me' 2016 LT Crew Cab. I loved my Tundra, but wanted something smaller. Found the Colorado and never looked back. Loving it so far!

I've always been into custom car stereo, but I'm not going to go crazy this time. I've read a TON of threads on this forum, and on 355nation, and got most of the info I need. I do have a couple questions still though.

1: Can anyone tell me the impedance of the front door woofers? I found ONE forum post that claimed they are 1Ω, but that seems unlikely to me, and I've found nothing else to back this up.
2: I've seen conflicting facts on the front dash corner "twiddlers", and the center speaker. A popular modification is to remove the center speaker all together, but is that only for imaging purposes, or is it also because removing it will provide more power to the other two dash speakers (some say the center speaker is bridged off of them)?
3: I've seen a few different opinions on where to tap into the high level inputs, and would love more opinions. I was considering tapping right off the BOSE amp, just need to know which channel. I'll be feeding the signal into an AudioControl LC2i.

You've probably already gathered that I'm considering replacing the stock BOSE speakers. I have no desire to mess with the head unit or BOSE amp. I realize the improvement in doing this won't be drastic, but as long as I stick with the same~ish impedance, and similar drivers, I think I can do some good. I'm planning to use the ever-popular infinity reference series speakers. 3.5" coaxials in the dash (either 2 or 3, haven't decided yet), and 6.5" coaxials in the rear doors. I haven't decided what to do with the front 6x9 woofers yet. Some of the decision depends on the answer to my first question. A few options I'm considering, and would love opinions on:
1: Leave it alone
2: Infinity reference 6.5" or 6x9" component speakers, and just not use the tweeter (I can always find a use for them elsewhere)
3: CDT 6x9" mid-woofer drivers
4: Kicker compRT 6.5" woofers

On top of all of this, I've already ordered this subthump sub box, and asked for a slight modification to allow for more storage room, which they were happy to do. I'll be loading it with 2 CompRT 8" Kickers, powered by a tiny little Kicker CXA600.1 amplifier.

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been an active member on the forums of my previous vehicles, so I look forward to this one as well!

Just in case you're outstandingly bored, here are some of the stereos I've done for my previous vehicles:
IS350
C6
Tundra

Ok, I've talked long enough. Opinions are definitely welcomed, and I look forward to being on the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Well, if you have been a member of other forums then naturally you know...WE DEMAND PIX OF YOUR NEW RIDE !!! >:)

Sorry, I cant help you with the specific stereo questions you have, since I ripped the entire stock system out within a week of having my truck. But Im sure others will chime in soon enough..

And, Welcome to the site. :welcome

·
Registered
2 Posts
1: Leave it alone
2: Infinity reference 6.5" or 6x9" component speakers, and just not use the tweeter (I can always find a use for them elsewhere)
3: CDT 6x9" mid-woofer drivers
4: Kicker compRT 6.5" woofers
I know this is an old thread, but I just put in Infinity reference: 3.5s (REF3022CFX) in the dash, unhooked the center. 6x9 woofer from the 6x9 component set (REF9620CX) in the door, and 6.5s (REF6522IX) in the back. Sounds worlds better to me. Easy install other than fitting the 3.5 - you'll need to cut / dremel out plastic for those. Didn't mess with anything else, so far they seem to run fine off the Bose amp. Not even sure I need a sub with this setup - the Infinity 6x9s seem to get down lower than the Bose did. Sounds fine with bass heavy stuff I listen to like Skrillex / Kendrick / RTJ. Of course I'm of an age where I don't need everyone on the block to hear my music, and my tastes are varied, so overall quality and clarity are more important to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I just put in Infinity reference: 3.5s (REF3022CFX) in the dash, unhooked the center. 6x9 woofer from the 6x9 component set (REF9620CX) in the door, and 6.5s (REF6522IX) in the back. Sounds worlds better to me. Easy install other than fitting the 3.5 - you'll need to cut / dremel out plastic for those. Didn't mess with anything else, so far they seem to run fine off the Bose amp. Not even sure I need a sub with this setup - the Infinity 6x9s seem to get down lower than the Bose did. Sounds fine with bass heavy stuff I listen to like Skrillex / Kendrick / RTJ. Of course I'm of an age where I don't need everyone on the block to hear my music, and my tastes are varied, so overall quality and clarity are more important to me.
Awesome, thanks for this! I actually have the 3.5's, 6x9 components, and 6.5 coaxials in my Amazon "save for later" basket. I've been back and forth about what I want to do, and this definitely helps.

The other option I'm considering is to externally amplify the speakers. I'm ONLY considering this because the Dealership I bought the truck from actually uninstalled my JL amps from my trade-in and returned them to me, so now I have an XD600/6 just sitting in my living room. For not a ton more effort, I could get that set up with a set of Precision Power P.65C3 three way components. Decisions, decisions. I won't have a garage to work in again until January when our house is ready, so I'll probably just hold off until then.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that the infinity 6x9 woofers sound good in the front door location.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome, thanks for this! I actually have the 3.5's, 6x9 components, and 6.5 coaxials in my Amazon "save for later" basket. I've been back and forth about what I want to do, and this definitely helps.

The other option I'm considering is to externally amplify the speakers. I'm ONLY considering this because the Dealership I bought the truck from actually uninstalled my JL amps from my trade-in and returned them to me, so now I have an XD600/6 just sitting in my living room. For not a ton more effort, I could get that set up with a set of Precision Power P.65C3 three way components. Decisions, decisions. I won't have a garage to work in again until January when our house is ready, so I'll probably just hold off until then.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that the infinity 6x9 woofers sound good in the front door location.
Here is the bypass harness i used to get to the factory speaker wires without cutting.Bose amp is right behind the glovebox towards the right. I found the bose amp wasn't powerful enough to really push the mids in the door.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PRQPPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the bypass harness i used to get to the factory speaker wires without cutting.Bose amp is right behind the glovebox towards the right. I found the bose amp wasn't powerful enough to really push the mids in the door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PRQPPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Awesome, thank you. If I go that route, I'll definitely pick up that bypass harness. Curious, I see you're from Farmington. Farmington New Mexico?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.