Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Crew cab WT. Absolutely super pleased with it.

So far though, there are two things:
1: Every now and then, there is a whiff of some strong chemical odor coming from the AC. It is really hard to reproduce, but mostly seems to happen when I turn the fan down to its lowest setting. I've read some threads here about the same issue, and invariably, these threads turn into an "afterblow" related issue. This is not a moldy, or musty smell, it smells like a solvent if anything, and it has done it since 0 miles (now at 1500 miles). Usually lasts only 5 seconds or so.

2: First takeoff of the day, if I don't let the transmission warm up a little in drive, I get a massive stumble seemingly right at the shift to second gear. As I said, just a little warmup, or a careful takeoff is all that's needed to avoid it, no big deal, Just want to make sure this is not leading to impending doom...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
1 - Me too, still, after almost 2 years and 35k miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
#1 - During my first week of ownership I suspected a couple of times there may have been a chemical smell for a few seconds, but is this because I read the forum and am aware it could happen, or did it really happen? Probably the latter, but I don't notice any more.

#2 - First take-off of the day, yes, there is a lag upon stepping on the gas after shifting into Drive. For me, it's not a big deal. One, I know it's going to happen. Two, I'm parked in a garage overnight. When I start the truck, put it in Reverse, back out of the garage and down the driveway into the street, stop, and shift to Drive... knowing when I step on the gas it's going to lag, I just slowly step on the gas and a second or two later I'm going. After that, there are no issues for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You don’t say how new the truck is or how many miles are on it. Assuming that is a new truck, I have 2 pieces of advice. 1st, give it time to break in. 2nd, don’t spend a lot of time reading posts discussing problems unless you have a specific issue. It will have you seeing ghosts everywhere and take away from your enjoyment of a great truck. No vehicle is perfect, but you made a great choice.

PS I have my flameproof suit on 😁

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really good advice Colorado 17# . I had previously owned a 2014 Tacoma and was a member of the Tacoma World Forum. When I first joined this forum I was amazed at how many negative threads and posts there were about the Canyon and Colorado. This was really unusual from what I experienced on the Tacoma World Forum. If I would of discovered this forum prior to my purchase, I am almost certain I probably would of gone with my 2nd choice the Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4. After test driving the Tacoma TRD and Colorado and having owned an amazing 2014 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner (2WD): I went with my instincts. Not only do I have a great truck, I now have a great relationship with an outstanding dealership that has exceeded pretty much all of my expectations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When reading fan/product forums one should keep in mind that non-enthusiasts or people that are perfectly happy with their purchase are most likely not going to look for a forum. Thus, most all posts on a fan/product forum are going to be made by enthusiasts or people with problems. So yes, there are going to be a lot of negative posts. But one should keep perspective. Pick any brand/model and go find some fan/product forums. They are all pretty much the same. Enthusiasts posting pictures, modifications, and helpful information. People with problems posting about their issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a CCSB WT. The strange smell happens in my truck usually after driving 30-45 minutes. It doesn't do it when I first start driving, but does it after I stop at the grocery store or convenience store on the way home from work. The in cabin filter was replaced on schedule so I know it's not something to do with that. The smell does go away after about 15 minutes so I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets overpowering or something goes wrong with the a/c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased a Crew cab WT. Absolutely super pleased with it.

So far though, there are two things:
1: Every now and then, there is a whiff of some strong chemical odor coming from the AC. It is really hard to reproduce, but mostly seems to happen when I turn the fan down to its lowest setting. I've read some threads here about the same issue, and invariably, these threads turn into an "afterblow" related issue. This is not a moldy, or musty smell, it smells like a solvent if anything, and it has done it since 0 miles (now at 1500 miles). Usually lasts only 5 seconds or so.

2: First takeoff of the day, if I don't let the transmission warm up a little in drive, I get a massive stumble seemingly right at the shift to second gear. As I said, just a little warmup, or a careful takeoff is all that's needed to avoid it, no big deal, Just want to make sure this is not leading to impending doom...

#1 Me too still at 20,000 miles. I always figured maybe it was some outgassing from the new plastics in the vent's or something similar. It hasn't gone away in a year though and sometimes still makes my wife nauseous...

·
Registered
26 Posts
2018 Colorado W/T extended cab with V6 purchased May 2018 and now have 21K on her. I had that "smell" for a few months, also. Eventually it went away. Also, when I replaced the cabin filter I put in a charcoal impregnated filter. That takes care of any musty smells. I replace the cabin filter every 15K regardless. Compensates for my cigar breath (I don't smoke in the truck).

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Haven’t experienced this.
2. Same... Give it more throttle than you think you need as you start to roll and it’ll shift right through to 2nd smooth as butta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts