Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Blue Chevy Colorado Z71, crew cab long bed w/ Leer Cap
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm very new. I bought my 2018 Colorado in late 2019. I traded in my 2004 Nissan Titan. I put that truck through the wringer, and never had any problems with it outside of the normal maintenance. Now that the kids have their own vehicles and are doing their own thing, I've decided to drop down to a mid-size truck since it's just the wife and I.

I picked up a 2018 Colorado Z71, extended cab, long bed, Leer cap. I would have loved to have gotten the Duramax, but I don't haul anything of significance.

The mpg was great, but I didn't like how low it sat against the road, so I started researching lift kits. I spoke to a local offroad garage here (Mid-Atlantic 4x4) and they recommended that I go with the 5.5" Zone full kit with upgraded Foxx shocks. I loved the look of that lift, but I had to pick up some 1.75" wheel spacers from Bora Motorsports out west. (I didn't want the wheels to stick out too far - I don't like that look). The garage recommended 295/70R17's (or 305's max), so I went with some Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP all-terrains. I love the size and the look, however, they are slightly too big for any serious up and downing in the woods when I go camping. They kept scraping against the air dam so I removed it (and liked the look). That removal was a pain, but luckily others suffered (and captured it on YouTube) so I wouldn't have to endure as much by starting with the center bolt.

However, my new problem is that my Stabilitrak/Traction Control/Brake warning lights and alarm goes off on slow or tight turns, and when it senses that the tire speed doesn't match the speedometer. I was told that I will need to get it re-programmed and the speedo adjusted (it's off by +8 mph). I went to Chevy and they won't touch it because I'm using non-standard tire sizes (i.e., not the recommended sizes just inside the door). It didn't surprise me that much, so I am starting to research where else I can go. So far, I've found that those programmers are very expensive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Outside of that issue, I've found that I really miss having a handle on the driver's side to assist in getting into the truck. I'm 6' so it isn't too much of an issue, just more of a convenience. I would like to upgrade the exhaust to something more aggressive, but not obnoxious.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone and searching through the forums to see what others have done!

Tire Cloud Wheel Plant Car

Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Sky Plant

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,972 Posts
Welcome Aboard. Looks Nice

Reactions: SlyFox

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Hyper-tec or Rough Country speedometer calibarator, it is actually the same thing made by Hyper-tec for Rough Country, will also bring the transmission shifting back to normal

the link says 25-3500 Chevy trucks but at the bottom it shows Colorados also

Just plug it into your computor snd it walks you through the set up, then plug it in under the dash of your truck. Most people on here use it, or they buy the Trifecta tune, which changes the speedometer along with shift points and some say more HP, not a lot but some
it also gives you like eco-mode, normal and racer, I made the racer up but a more aggressive shifting

·
Registered
2022 Colorado Z71 V6 3.6L 4WD Crew Cab Black
29 Posts
Welcome to the club. Looks great.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
as for the door handle to pull you up, GM says they made the steering column/wheel sturdy enought to use it.

One of the people on here ordered all the parts from Australia, as they have the grab handle on the left side(right side driving)
but when he took the a-pillar apart , there was no supports to bolt any of it to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunter62 - I'm leaning toward the Rough Country because of price, and I'm not looking for performance improvements (I'm just looking for making my truck functional again with regard to speedo and shifting, sensors). The Trifecta Advantage+ tuning package is significantly more expensive, but I can see the benefits for those that are trying to squeeze out as much performance as they can with multiple upgrades.

Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading their exhaust for a more aggressive sound? I'll keep searching through the posts on here but wanted to ask in case someone has had some more recent success that isn't on here (yet). BTW - thank you all for the quick feedback!

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
The GM Catback made for them by Corsa, or Corsa or Borla who made it for GM prior to Corsa, has a decent sound
several u-tube videos on Colorado's

Some like the Magnaflow but most complain about the drone.
No 6cylinder exhaust will ever sound like a V8

fyi, use google and put coloradofans in front of what you are looking for, like this

Aftermarket exhaust. Function or just noise? | Page 3
https://www.coloradofans.com › threads › page-3

Jul 4, 2020 — Certain engines just don't sound good with a louder exhaust. The new Raptors sound horrible loud. There is one near my house and it sounds like ...
Aftermarket Exhaust Setup | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Feb 12, 2020
Best Aftermarket exhausts? | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Dec 21, 2014
Best Sounding Exhaust | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Nov 5, 2020
Exhaust Systems | Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Nov 23, 2016
More results from www.coloradofans.com
Installation for Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon PN-140645
https://www.borla.com › ...

PDF

Borla Performance Cat-Back™ Exhaust System (PN-140645) is designed for the Chevrolet Colorado. & GMC Canyon, 3.6L V6 engine with 128” Wheel Base 2WD and 4WD, ...
4 pages

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
283 Posts
From yet another Marylander, welcome. Nice truck. Looks like a great Assateague Island rig!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Hunter62 - thanks for the Rough Country recommendation. I purchased it and installation was very easy and quick (maybe 10 minutes). The speedometer and shifting were easily corrected, however, I am still getting Stabilitrak/Traction Control/Brake alerts with hard/sharp turns. I'm guessing an expensive programmer can get after that. I've listened to several videos of exhausts upgrades and really like the sound of the Borla.

Thanks for all the feedback and welcomes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts