Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Leonard Ledoux (Lenny). I am a retired tooling engineer from The Boeing Co. I worked in nearly every aircraft factory in the USA, at least once. One of those guys you need for a new bird, not so much in production. I'm a fabricator, carpenter, jack of all trades kind of guy. I lived with an FJ40 for six years here, wife couldn't drive it. Hard to get parts, shipping very expensive. So I looked very hard at what change I wanted to make. Most important to me was the popularity, FJ40's didn't sell well anywhere and poorly here. The Chevy/Isuzu D-Max is everywhere. If I get in trouble up in the mountains someone will know how to band-aid me and get me home. I have three grown daughters, eight grandchildren, third wife (reference all the places I've worked). Where I live houses don't need furnaces or a/c. While only 3* south of the equator it is 8,440 ft outside my front door. In a bowl, have to go over 12K feet to get out:). No snow, that is in the upper elevations. Not a lot of paved roads so I needed something I could get out and about in, again. The Rio can't get a hamburger without scraping something. Mechanic wanted me to go diesel, I just don't like the sound. I guess too many hotrods and fast motorcycles in my life. I also wanted the 16" wheels, geez you get 1 1/2" lift right there with the tire size difference. With 200K on the clock the belt will need to be changed right away. Otherwise I think it is just a good old truck with high wear but not jacked with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,818 Posts
My grand father and father both retired from Boeing.
hope the truck serves you well-
My old man was in Tooling at Everett and my grandfather was a production manager.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Cuencanolenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My grand father and father both retired from Boeing.
hope the truck serves you well-
My old man was in Tooling at Everett and my grandfather was a production manager.
It's a small world isn't it? I went to Seattle from Hartford, CT in '91 as a job shopper, tool design. I worked the 777 tail feathers originally for Military (plastic) and transitioned to Auburn/Frederickson at the new CMC where I worked until early May '94 when I went to Renton for the new 737NG program and I stayed. I think somewhere just North of I-90 the world just falls off:). I suspect had I been assigned to Twin Aisle I would have grown to feel the same about just South of I-90. Thanks for the invite and best wishes. I looked at trucks for three months. I wanted something that if it breaks down the locals know how to fix it and parts are available and the D-Max seems to fit the bill. I'm anal about service and while I'm hesitant to admit it, the body just isn't up to crawling around doing this sort of work. I bought a good, used truck. It is solid, drove out fine, had a long brake pedal. I get it back on Tuesday with new steering, brakes and suspension (shocks and red bushings). I'm fortunate that the mechanic I use is knowledgeable, does good work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,839 Posts
Welcome Aboard

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Greetings & sweet FJ. My dad owned one & I got to drive when home on military leave...fun...fun. Enjoy the site!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rode a bus down to look at it on 28SEP21, drove down on 30SEP21 to get it. On 1OCT21 it went to the car wash, insurance office, mechanic for an appointment. So Jose started on 4OCT21 and we got it back 12OCT21. Steering, suspension and brakes. All rubber brake lines are replaced, all the stuff done right is what I mean to say. I've known my mechanic for nine years, lots of Land Cruiser work. So this truck is really a testament to the engineering in my opinion. It is 15 years old, 200K on the clock and all parts replaced were OEM. So while the truck drove out fine, it is a comfort knowing what is below me is in good shape. So we drove over to Paute (simpler vehicle inspection, quicker/easier paperwork, great place for lunch and we take the dogs over there, now that we can! So it is mine, I'm anxious about the casita (camper/topper) which is being built down in Guayaquil (largest city) as I "know" to not ignore the timing belt any longer than necessary. So I'm just cleaning all this week. Removed passenger seat to look at cleaning/greasing seat tracks. Doesn't appear it has been moved very often:). What I like is the fellows who buy new trucks and promptly change the wheels. I've seen new sets for $250-$300. I will have one of the few non-taxi trucks with stock wheels:).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts