Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I just bought a 2017 Z71 and really like the look and driving under 65mph so far. I read a lot in this forum and it helped me figure out the shutter and shaking issues with the transmission. Good times. I took it to the dealer and they did the changing out fluid protocol from the TSB (I think it's called) and it definitely helped because it was shaking at 45mph. Now it can go to 65 or so before I feel like I'm entering earth's atmosphere. I read where some people say it takes up to 3 times for it to work, but what a pain to leave it at the dealer for so long. I guess I don't really have a choice though.
Cheers and I look forward to everyone's tips and tricks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
2017 ZR1, you should be in the Corvette forum. Make a Sig line with your truck info.
I assume you have a ZR2 with the 3.6 V6 gas engine and 8l45 trans. Try using manual mode with the trans, use 6th gear as max until above 65-70mph to address the trans "SHUDDER".

ETA: welcome to the asylum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 ZR1, you should be in the Corvette forum. Make a Sig line with your truck info.
I assume you have a ZR2 with the 3.6 V6 gas engine and 8l45 trans. Try using manual mode with the trans, use 6th gear as max until above 65-70mph to address the trans "SHUDDER".

ETA: welcome to the asylum.
My bad. I meant Colorado Z71. I made the edit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
Welcome Aboard.
My 2017 Z71 has over 96K on it now.. They are a really good truck

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,848 Posts
Do another flush or 6qt fluid swap.
then at some point, if you aren't smooth, and you're sure its not a programming issue,
Go the Lubegard Shudder Fixx additive route .
Get the small red tube and add just half in the filler hole. Drive for a week and stop there if its improved. Add the rest if not.
A lot of folks don't like additives, I get it. but in this case, you can use a bandaid that works or go round and round with Chevrolet over it. If you wait too long it becomes worse.

• Helpful
Reactions: gherbert

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Do another flush or 6qt fluid swap.
then at some point, if you aren't smooth, and you're sure its not a programming issue,
Go the Lubegard Shudder Fixx additive route .
Get the small red tube and add just half in the filler hole. Drive for a week and stop there if its improved. Add the rest if not.
A lot of folks don't like additives, I get it. but in this case, you can use a bandaid that works or go round and round with Chevrolet over it. If you wait too long it becomes worse.
Oh no, an additive suggestion ! How dare you. /sarcasm.

My general advice is if it's under warranty, don't use additives and drive it in a way that will make it worse until the dealer fixes it.

If it isn't under warranty (I assume his 2017 is out of warranty), additives/bandaids are an answer. Maybe not the best answer, but they can fix or mask the problem to suit the owners lifestyle/intentions with the truck. Something like:

"It's my current daily driver and I will keep it for several years before trading it in/selling it" Additive if dealer charges for flush or can't afford to be vehicle-less.
"I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off !" If the flush is economical and free, continue pestering dealership before trying additives.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I installed a tube of Lube Guard "shudder fix" in my truck when new, got 4 years before a trace of shudder. Had the flush done that week and it's been fine since. I have a tube ready to go in if it come back.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,848 Posts
I installed a tube of Lube Guard "shudder fix" in my truck when new, got 4 years before a trace of shudder. Had the flush done that week and it's been fine since. I have a tube ready to go in if it come back.
Did you do anything with the new oil before putting in the shutter fix? Did you swap it out in case it was contaminated?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Did you do anything with the new oil before putting in the shutter fix? Did you swap it out in case it was contaminated?
No, new 17 3.6, 8l45. First oil change at 500 miles I added the Lube Guard. No shudder until 4 years and 2 months later. Flush fixed it. I guess I got one of the few good 8l45's, shifts fine (Trifecta) no shudder.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
If the truck has been doing theshudder for a long time the torque converter may be damaged. Dealer should replace it

try the tow mode first, that is if youhave tow mode

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
Glad people are actually reading what I right (write) 🤣
Spell check is your best friend.🤣
Well you speeled the word correctly... Just it was the wrong word

1 - 14 of 14 Posts