Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a summer camping spot that is about 4 miles down a pretty rough road. Cannot go much more than 3 to 5 mph in a stock wrangler over the baby head rocks and wash boards without getting beat up. It takes me 30 minutes to get to a good road and I drive it a couple of times a day. So, was thinking about a long travel kit on a Taco and then discovered the ZR2. I like adding mods but the LT on the Taco seemed to be a slippery slope of more wrenching than riding and wanted the truck to be dependable and safe on longer trips. I think the ZR2 is the sweet spot for my needs. Do not have any real need for jumping the truck but will do some crawling and some mountain passes in CO. Good to find this group and looking forward to seeing your mods. :nerd:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Either truck will be a smoother ride than the Wrangler. I can to 10-12 mph on a road like that in my 05 Taco, but I think the multimatics on the ZR2 will make a huge difference on that drive. Like you, I would rather be riding than wrenching.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a summer camping spot that is about 4 miles down a pretty rough road. Cannot go much more than 3 to 5 mph in a stock wrangler over the baby head rocks and wash boards without getting beat up. It takes me 30 minutes to get to a good road and I drive it a couple of times a day. So, was thinking about a long travel kit on a Taco and then discovered the ZR2. I like adding mods but the LT on the Taco seemed to be a slippery slope of more wrenching than riding and wanted the truck to be dependable and safe on longer trips. I think the ZR2 is the sweet spot for my needs. Do not have any real need for jumping the truck but will do some crawling and some mountain passes in CO. Good to find this group and looking forward to seeing your mods.
So the ZR2 does amazing on big hits and medium speed rough rocky trails with medium size rocks/ruts. However, it is pretty rough on high speed washboard, chatter and small rocks. Keep in mind I am comparing it to a very expensive aftermarket setup on 4 Runner and the runner has coil springs (vs leaf).

My guess is (especially with some weight in the bed) the Z will be ton better then your wrangler, but a Taco with awesome aftermarket Icon or King setup... Makes me wonder. On the other hand, as you mentioned, all you have to do is buy the ZR2 and hit the trail.

I love my Deisel ZR2 and would strongly, strongly recommend it overall any day over a taco hands down(and I am huge Toyota and Taco fan). Just wanted to throw out the only area I wasn't super impressed with the multimatic was the washboard performance since you mention exactly that. Again, this could be more of a leaf vs coil thing then multimatic vs Icon thing. I don't know.

Keep in mind some other options for the Toyoato will be rough as hell, so make an informed choice if you go that route.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the ZR2 does amazing on big hits and medium speed rough rocky trails with medium size rocks/ruts. However, it is pretty rough on high speed washboard, chatter and small rocks. Keep in mind I am comparing it to a very expensive aftermarket setup on 4 Runner and the runner has coil springs (vs leaf).

My guess is (especially with some weight in the bed) the Z will be ton better then your wrangler, but a Taco with awesome aftermarket Icon or King setup... Makes me wonder. On the other hand, as you mentioned, all you have to do is buy the ZR2 and hit the trail.

I love my Deisel ZR2 and would strongly, strongly recommend it overall any day over a taco hands down(and I am huge Toyota and Taco fan). Just wanted to throw out the only area I wasn't super impressed with the multimatic was the washboard performance since you mention exactly that. Again, this could be more of a leaf vs coil thing then multimatic vs Icon thing. I don't know.

Keep in mind some other options for the Toyoato will be rough as hell, so make an informed choice if you go that route.

Thanks for the feedback. How fast are you going on the high speed washboard runs? If I can even get up to 15mph comfortably it will cut my travel time by 2/3's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. How fast are you going on the high speed washboard runs? If I can even get up to 15mph comfortably it will cut my travel time by 2/3's

Hmmm, kind of a tough question to answer. Completely depends on the road (not all washboard is the same of course) and what you call comfortable. The main area I had major washbaording that really slowed me down and made me take notice I guess I was going 15 or 20. I didn't really think to look. It was really, really bad though. On lighter washboard much faster. I doubt the Z is bad on washboard for a truck....I was just a bit disappointed compared to my last rig and because the multimatic were killing it everywhere else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test drive the ZR2 and then the Taco, and see you back here :wink2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKP2lUfVWeE

Cool Video Have not driven either one but have seen enough feedback and reviews that I am pretty confident it is the truck for me. Did sit in one at a dealer to make sure i liked the interior. I have a buddy in the car business locating me one in Blue. Funny thing is the Tacoma FB group is where i heard about the ZR2 and those guys for the most part are pretty big fans

·
Registered
351 Posts
You could always through some sandbags or other weights over the rear axle to settle it down on the washboards. Could help quite a bit. Good luck on the truck purchase. Saw my first ZR2 yesterday, wow! Beautiful in person.

Reactions: GunnyZR2
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.