Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Been lurking a while, only recently started posting. Picked up my Satin Steel Metallic 2020 Bison CC a couple weeks ago.

Planning on the ComeUp winch with AEV fairlead kit, AEV front bumper low bar, AEV trans skid bars, and maybe rear bumper LEDs with the AEV brackets. But I move slow in the cold weather...

Eventually I'd like to upsize the tires too. Do the Bison's have the exact same limitations on tires as other ZR2s? I see a lot of posts where ""xx size tire fits with no mods" and then a level kit is noted. To me a level kit is a mod and since I plan to tow a travel trailer I'd prefer not to level/lift at this time. Trying to decide 32 or 33". Thanks for any feedback from Bison owners out there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congrats on your Bison!
Yes, same tire limitations as ZR2. Tire size choice really hinges on how you will use your truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good looking truck. I added the ComeUp winch and AEV mounting plate to mine around Christmas but have only used it to pull out sections of a pine stump so far. That work was probably tougher than a recovery as it went non-stop for the better part of a day and I was doubling up with a snatch block on many of the pulls. The ComeUp never missed a beat although I did take it to a stall a few times. This was my first experience with synthetic line and a wireless remote - what a game changer!! My prior hands-on experience is with a Warn M8000, steel cable and wired remote on a TJ. Night and day. My only complaint was the remote would often time out before I could get the next pull rigged and would have to be re-synched. I suspect this preserves battery life and it only took 5-6 seconds to re-set so nothing major.

Your mod list is pretty much identical to mine. I'm not completely sold on the low bar replacement as I haven't seen one in person yet and I have shock skids on my list but I'm right with you on the additional protection and lights. I tow a 19' Scamp camper (bed mounted hybrid fifth wheel hitch) and the ZR2 handles the 3,500#'s great much better than the Tacoma Off-Roads I had before.

Hope to see you on the trails or out camping sometime - Al

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking truck. I added the ComeUp winch and AEV mounting plate to mine around Christmas but have only used it to pull out sections of a pine stump so far. That work was probably tougher than a recovery as it went non-stop for the better part of a day and I was doubling up with a snatch block on many of the pulls. The ComeUp never missed a beat although I did take it to a stall a few times. This was my first experience with synthetic line and a wireless remote - what a game changer!! My prior hands-on experience is with a Warn M8000, steel cable and wired remote on a TJ. Night and day. My only complaint was the remote would often time out before I could get the next pull rigged and would have to be re-synched. I suspect this preserves battery life and it only took 5-6 seconds to re-set so nothing major.
Thanks! I was originally going to by black until I saw this colour in person. I bought the only Bison I have ever seen in person, and had to drive 1.5 hours to the next major city to find it. Dealers that had them wouldn't trade to my local dealers.
That's great feedback on the ComeUp, thank you. I have off-roaded for about 10 years but this is my first winch. Keen to install when the weather warms up.

Your mod list is pretty much identical to mine. I'm not completely sold on the low bar replacement as I haven't seen one in person yet and I have shock skids on my list but I'm right with you on the additional protection and lights. I tow a 19' Scamp camper (bed mounted hybrid fifth wheel hitch) and the ZR2 handles the 3,500#'s great much better than the Tacoma Off-Roads I had before.
The low tube is also not something I have seen installed in person. But the pics I have seen on the net make me like the look, especially combined with making it the same colour as the bumper wings. The different colour centre section seemed unusual to me, though looks decent on a white truck I think. Here is a screen shot I dig - you might recognize it from the 'cars, cats & cannabis' youtube channel:

Yes, I forgot to mention shock skids. I might? try to fab my own. The 589s look good, though I'd have liked to see a bit more rear-side protection. Def want to ensure they are easy to flush the mud out of too. Also not mentioned I'd like a steel drive shaft, tint front side windows to match, weathertech window vents and maybe a topper. It blows me away how much all these extras add up to; not sure I will get approval from my VP of finance (aka my Mrs.) lol.

I intend to tow my 24' travel trailer. It's about 4000# empty so if I am cautious about loading and carry no water I should be able to stay under weight. Need to be also conscious of tongue weight/cargo. I'd love to see a pic of your towing set up.

I am in Ontario and don't expect to go on the trails with it this year while I still have my Jimmy ZR2 and I enjoy the 'newness' of my first ever new vehicle. What state are you in?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks like we may have quite a bit in common. I have a black ZR2 Blazer in the stable that was purchased new in 00 so that color was my first choice when I got this one last Fall. It was my daughter's DD until grand daughter came along in 2014 so now just sees fill in duty from time. The transmission went out at around 250K so I replaced it and the 4.3 with good rebuilt Jaspers at that time. Mileage is around 300K now so there should still be some miles left in the old gal.

I'll keep you updated on the ComeUp as I have more opportunities to use it.

I've pretty much aged out of hard core offroading but Cindy and I enjoy boondocking on public lands especially in the southwestern US, We needed a truck that could get us out west in reasonable comfort while pulling the Scamp and then be capable of moderate trails once we got there. Hopefully, the Bison is overkill for this but we're usually alone and help is often a long way off if trouble should arise. I grew up with Chevy but switched to Toyota Tacomas for my midsize pickups when GM seemed to have abandoned this segment. We had an 05 and later a 12 - both double cab TRD Off-Roads which served us well but I think Toyota has grown complacent with where they are in the marketplace. I really wanted to like the 2020 Tacoma as it would have been a much cheaper option - My old hitch wouldn't transfer to the ZR2 and the higher bed sides meant I had to swap axles on the Scamp; Two grand right there, But the 3.5 in the Gen III's didn't impress me at all. So far, I'm very happy with the change.

This is a photo taken when I was checking clearances. I can center the hitch over the ball and hookup without having to get out and raise the tailgate yet its still mounted far enough to the rear that I can make 90* turns without the nose of the camper hitting the truck cab.

IMG_6833 (4).JPG

We're from the northeastern corner of NC. Before retirement, I worked a good bit in your area (Hamilton and Missisauga) with Sony of Canada and Western Star Trucks being a couple of clients that used our software.

Al

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, Al.

You were close, I am in London, only 1.5hours from Hamilton - even bought my rig in that area (Burlington).

Seeing your rig almost makes me second guess my colour choice. My Jimmy ZR2 is black, my prior Jimmy SLS 2 door was black, My wife's Xterra is black... even my first car, a '71 Chevelle, was black. Black is the best, but it's a struggle to keep clean especially in the winters here. So I was ready for a change - the grey of my truck gives greater contrast to the black trim pcs which I decided I liked enough to try ti out. No regrets, but damn the black Bison looks good too.

If I read that correctly, congrats on the retirement. I just turned 49 so a ways off for me yet. Plus my kids are still young so I will be grinding away to make coin once they start college.

Thanks for the photo of you trailer set-up, that looks amazing. The 5th wheels I have seen in that size range seem suited more for a couple than a family of four, yes? New axles... sounds like a lot of work. Needed more than just a suspension lift I take it. Well, you have a nice set up now for a lot less than buying some new trailers so nice work on that. As far as "aged out" for off-roading - I have only been at it for 10 years and its been hard while having kids since the nearest trails are 4+ hours away. I only ever off-roaded my Jimmys and they were/are virtually stock. No lift at all. I love that as it limits me from going on crazy hard trails which increases the odds I can drive it to work the next day lol. But nonetheless it have done a few hard trails. This was one of the more challenging things I have tried with it:
skip the first 30 seconds as it is just positioning. It's sitting just under 200k km now and running strong but is showing rust in several places now and many interior components are failing. This truck did not have anywhere near the build quality of the '99 I had.

I am hoping to do some trails with the Bison eventually. Armor first. Looking forward to your winch updates!

-Ron

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
134 Posts
Wow! You are a braver man than I! That was leaning so very close to the tipping point,...or at least it looked that way from the video angle. Great job of navigating that obstacle. Impressive vehicle and driving skills. Kudos.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with you on the effort required to keep a black vehicle looking good but I've got more time than money and enjoy the process. I've been really impressed with the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax product - After establishing a good base, it really is pretty much a rinse and wipe dry process. It helps that we get weather warm enough for car care a few days each month even over the winter. Keeping the inside clean when the grand daughter is around is another story though.

Nice driving touch on that video! I've gotten conservative in my old age and those days are long gone but I still appreciate the skills involved.

The Scamp 19 will sleep four adults in relative comfort - Cindy and I take the loft while the grand daughter, when she's along, uses the dinette after converting it to a bunk - floor plan . It uses a single Dexter torsion axle so it was just a matter of cutting the old one off and bolting on one with a greater down angle giving about five more inches of lift. Our camper is twenty years old but, with reasonable care, these molded fiberglass types age well. The original mfr using this type of construction was Boler, a Canadian company, and its not uncommon to see models they produced in the seventies on the road.

Al

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! You are a braver man than I! That was leaning so very close to the tipping point,...or at least it looked that way from the video angle. Great job of navigating that obstacle. Impressive vehicle and driving skills. Kudos.
Thanks - Brave?... more likely I'm just stupid lol. If one assumes the engine is about the centre of gravity then that needs to be close to above the wheels to tip... but a bad bounce, tire blow out... could make that difference. It was definitely a pucker factor. Only tried that once. The other dumb thing I have done more than once is push it through 30-36" water holes on the trail. Truck took it like a champ but when I got off the trail I only had 1st and 2nd gear. It dried out over night and was fine. Did that twice (yes, slow learner). But I have figured out how to make the G80 locker work for me.

I'm with you on the effort required to keep a black vehicle looking good but I've got more time than money and enjoy the process. I've been really impressed with the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax product - After establishing a good base, it really is pretty much a rinse and wipe dry process. It helps that we get weather warm enough for car care a few days each month even over the winter. Keeping the inside clean when the grand daughter is around is another story though.

Nice driving touch on that video! I've gotten conservative in my old age and those days are long gone but I still appreciate the skills involved.

The Scamp 19 will sleep four adults in relative comfort - Cindy and I take the loft while the grand daughter, when she's along, uses the dinette after converting it to a bunk - floor plan . It uses a single Dexter torsion axle so it was just a matter of cutting the old one off and bolting on one with a greater down angle giving about five more inches of lift. Our camper is twenty years old but, with reasonable care, these molded fiberglass types age well. The original mfr using this type of construction was Boler, a Canadian company, and its not uncommon to see models they produced in the seventies on the road.

Al
I hope that crazy trail stuff is largely behind me too. With a 2020 I am afraid to park it at work let alone take it on the trail. That may come with time though.

That trailer is cool. I was actually shopping for a Boler (or similar, like a Trillium) for our first trailer but they were hard to find in nice shape and pricey back then. Ended up buying a 1959 Shasta Airflyte 16' Got lots of compliments that old tin can. But after kid #2 came my Mrs. wanted something bigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts