Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was scrounging around the internet looking for articles on the diesel, most are old, but I came across this newer one, dated 10/3/17, which has some cool cutaway photos and discussions of the engine's development for the North American market and it's features.

Enjoy! :smile2:

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/first-look-gms-2-8l-duramax/

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting that they have gone with Denso for the entire fuel injection system.

My 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 has Denso fuel injection and ignition, all of which has been trouble free.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Good read but some of the wording makes me think that it's not an entirely new article, just freshly posted. Still thanks for sharing :grin2:
True. I've seen the wording before but there are a lot more photos this time I think. It's too bad they seem obsessed with eliminating "noise vibration and harshness" for American customers. Some of us want those attributes in a diesel engine. You guys in America aren't pussies, are you? :kiss:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. I've seen the wording before but there are a lot more photos this time I think. It's too bad they seem obsessed with eliminating "noise vibration and harshness" for American customers. Some of us want those attributes in a diesel engine. You guys in America aren't pussies, are you? :kiss:
Funny - I removed all the foam off the top of the engine to hear more clatter sound at low speeds and maybe a bit of extra growl while cruising, but do like how smooth running the engine is. Call me a wimpy dude, but not full ***** :grin2:

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Toyota are the kings of reliability, so it makes sense to get Denso involved.
The injectors in our trucks are the older and well proven "Solenoid" type vs. the more cutting edge, precise, expensive but arguably problematic (some issues with "leaking") Bosch Piezo type. Apparently Denso has made strides maxing out the performance of the solenoid injectors. Cost savings, and the fact that they work just fine in our not all the large engines, was probably the real driving force for using the Denso system with solenoid injectors. Here is an article discussing the technology:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20061113/ANE/61109031/injector-wars:-piezo-vs.-solenoid

I am pleased that our trucks have a Denso system, regardless of the design type. In the end, we want a reliable engine, and Japan is just plain awesome at this sort of thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.