Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2022 ZR2 V6 w Bison package ... have not taken delivery yet. Thinking about a few options and would appreciate any feedback:
  • is the cat back exhaust from Chevy well regarded? Would like to improve performance and sound and thinking it may make sense just to have Chevy install prior to delivery. I am not going to do it myself.
  • will be using this in heavy snow country so any advice on which bed cover is best
  • I value / desire engine performance - concerned that my need to settle for mid size may leave me desiring higher hp. has anyone tried any super tuners and had good success? Preferably one that maintains factory warranty?
  • in terms of ride and performance what is the item / part / option you wish you did before taking delivery.
Thanks very much in advance
Appreciate it

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Just purchased a 2022 ZR2 V6 w Bison package ... have not taken delivery yet. Thinking about a few options and would appreciate any feedback:
  • is the cat back exhaust from Chevy well regarded? Would like to improve performance and sound and thinking it may make sense just to have Chevy install prior to delivery. I am not going to do it myself.
  • will be using this in heavy snow country so any advice on which bed cover is best
  • I value / desire engine performance - concerned that my need to settle for mid size may leave me desiring higher hp. has anyone tried any super tuners and had good success? Preferably one that maintains factory warranty?
  • in terms of ride and performance what is the item / part / option you wish you did before taking delivery.
Thanks very much in advance
Appreciate it
1) The cat back system is quite easy to install and you can save several hundred dollars by doing it your self or having a friend do it for you. As to how it's regarded, I have the Borla system which is very close to the GM add on and I like the sound it produces, but it's all a matter of choice.

2) Almost any bed cover will stand up to heavy snow, even the soft cover, so you should ask yourself what type you prefer the most.

3) All tuners will effect the engine warranty - period. A tuner is only going to add 25 - 30 hp. Is that worth voiding your warranty? If you want real gain and don't care about the warranty, look at a supercharger such as the one made by Mallett. Mallett claims an extra 120hp but does require the use of premium fuel over regular.

4) There are no factory items I wish I had have the dealer add because I do my own work and consider paying someone else to do it a waste of money.

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison
170 Posts
Just go full bore and do the AEV Bison upfit! I have a ‘21 Bison minimax and one day recently I realized my build list was pretty much exactly what they offer (with a few different parts). It’s more fun researching and tinkering on your own, even if you’re limited in tools and know how (as I am), but AEV offers a hell of a package and the end result is a sweet truck. Short of that, I’d have upgraded my fog lights (believe Baja Designs squadrons were available from GM as an add-on) and added reverse lights, added a light bar, cold air intake, and decked drawers. The factory lights SUCK. I mean, really really suck. Be prepared to swap out the halogen bulbs right away unless you have night vision goggles. You’ll have to do that yourself but that’s no big. I purchased the ComeUp 9.5 winch through GM, some dealers seem to offer a Warn 9.5 alternatively, but I’m happy I added that as it comes in handy off road quite a bit. A lot depends on how you plan to use the truck too! Share some of those details with us, maybe it’ll spark more ideas from the group. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
#1 The Exhaust is more sound than real performance.

#2 Like Tom Said the covers will all hold up to snow as long as you do not go real cheap. You just need to decide hard cover or soft. If you do go soft and use it in the snow the TruXedo Tonneau has a rear latch system that makes it easier to latch in cold weather as covers do tighten up when cold. It also adjustable. The bars are also made into the cover so they roll up with the cover. The BAK folding covers are also a good place to start. I love mine.

#3 Tuners like Tom stated add a little. I never felt the need for the extra few HP. If I were in need I would do the Mallett or Edelbrock SC kit. The Edlebrock will cover your warranty on the engine till it is expired. With that said these trucks are not really lacking in power like some vehicles. It drives much like a Full Size V8 feel.

FYI cold air intakes really add little if anything unless tuned for the vehicle. The computers have learn features that will learn back to the original settings of the model. This was to help as O2 sensors and other things degrade but they also affect bolt on mods unless it is disables. Some programmers will do this.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,221 Posts
I think Mallet backs up the factory warranty if they install the kit which is quite reasonable for a manufacturer-install.

Reactions: OldCavScout

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Take a look at the Magnaflow "Overland" cat back, increase clearance, NDT (no drone technology)
Intake and exh do not give you a boost in HP, 8-10hp on a good day. What they do is improve throttle response and overall drivability.

The "Trifecta" tune is the most popular for the 3.6, modest HP and TQ. Very noticeable improvement in trans shifts and overall drivability.

Soler or Pedal Commander throttle controller are add ons that some like, easy to remove if warranty work is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Welcome !

1. The performance exhaust really is just sound and I believe it tucks the exhaust a little further up (at least on the diesel). Modern exhaust and intake systems are very well modeled and generally free flowing now, unlike the old days. FWIW the stock airbox draws from the passenger fender area. Seems pretty cold to me, but if you want colder... There's the AEV snorkel. I have it and really like it.

2. I previously had a Bakflip G2 and it was fairly stout, but I don't believe there is a stronger, tougher cover than the diamondback 270. Also adds security, which most other covers do not.

3. Trifecta seems to be the most popular around here, but I'll defer to the gassers for that.

4. This Center console organizer should have come with the truck, or GM should sell it for 2x the cost. Either way, very worthwhile. Mods are not a one size fit all, so here's a thread where I've tried to compile people's first 3 and listed my top 3:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd drive the truck a while before investing in anything that would void the warranty. (tune, s/c) It may be mid-sized but it still moves out pretty good in comparison to a full size truck. I really wanted the Mallett but I do have a well documented boost addiction.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As far as bed covers, I did a TON of research before buying mine. I ended up with the Undercover Armorflex. It's got a LineX coating on it, so it's virtually scratch free, it folds up out of the way easily, and when you need full bed access, it can be locked upright very securely without resting on the cab. Mine is closed 90% of the time. That being said, I'm very happy with it. I looked at many covers and am glad I decided on Undercover.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Photograph Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
I think Mallet backs up the factory warranty if they install the kit which is quite reasonable for a manufacturer-install.
He told me that over the phone but when I asked for it in writing he refused.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
153 Posts
While some dealerships may try to void a warranty, and it may be a huge hassle to fight, they cannot void your warranty for using a tuner (or anything else) unless they can prove it caused whatever damage you are trying to get fixed.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I'm of the camp that says exhaust changes are mainly about sound, not performance. If you want more performance you'll want to go the supercharger route (which I believe are fairly mild boost). There are threads here on that, but I wouldn't do that too early in ownership.

For bedcovers, if your concern is snow, the Undercover SE can be stood upon, so it will hold up to snow. Also keeps the bed perfectly dry.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
While some dealerships may try to void a warranty, and it may be a huge hassle to fight, they cannot void your warranty for using a tuner (or anything else) unless they can prove it caused whatever damage you are trying to get fixed.
Good luck with that. Here's how it will play out: Engine develops a problem. Dealer see's truck hes been tuned. GM tells dealer they will NOT be reimbursed for repair. You get lawyer to fight 1) GM's engineering staff and 2) GM's bank of corporate lawyers. After a year, if you are lucky, the case finally reaches the judge. GM overwhelms the judge with test documentation that shows your tune caused the engine to operate outside GM's established guidelines while GM's lawyers points out the wording in the owner's manual that specifically states usage of a tuning device will void the warranty. Your lawyer hem haws around and the judge dismisses your law suit. You pay for the repair, you pay for the lawyer, you go on multiple websites claiming GM screwed you.

And yes - have seen that EXACT scenario played out verbatim.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Since you are buying the ZR2, you may want the GM level added, it will raise the front about 1.25 to get rid of some of the rake, then you can upsize to 285/70/17's later on with out any issues.
the level is about all I have done to mine

I have the truxedo Sentry roll up cover, it says it will hold up to 400 lbs, darm grandkid crawls through the sliding window and dances on it. it has aluminum slats that go across so it doesnot flap in the wind and is real sturdy.
GM sells one that is pretty good
Depending on the Chevy dealer, there is one near me that carry's numerous brands of covers, even the hard fiberglass ones..your's may too.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
^^^^
Ha, you go on thinking that...I was flagged for having a ScanGauge plugged into my ODBII port which simply displays vehicle metrics.

OP; For exhaust, check out aFE Power as well - I have the Rebel & love it, but you're not really gaining performance (beefy sound). Advanced FLOW Engineering | aFe POWER
  • For tonneau, I had hard tri-fols, but hated blocking rear window when folded. Swapped f/ retractable & couldn't be more pleased. Easier to get to full bed & nothing blocking rear window. Mine's a Retrax Pro
  • For performance, check our Soler Performance f/ TB & TC enhancements. I have both - nice little performance add-on. If you want more, and have the $$, look into supercharger options. :D

Welcome & enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Good luck with that. Here's how it will play out: Engine develops a problem. Dealer see's truck hes been tuned. GM tells dealer they will NOT be reimbursed for repair. You get lawyer to fight 1) GM's engineering staff and 2) GM's bank of corporate lawyers. After a year, if you are lucky, the case finally reaches the judge. GM overwhelms the judge with test documentation that shows your tune caused the engine to operate outside GM's established guidelines while GM's lawyers points out the wording in the owner's manual that specifically states usage of a tuning device will void the warranty. Your lawyer hem haws around and the judge dismisses your law suit. You pay for the repair, you pay for the lawyer, you go on multiple websites claiming GM screwed you.

And yes - have seen that EXACT scenario played out verbatim.
Came here to say the same thing.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 diesel Rainforest Green
288 Posts
Even though the service manager wrote on my service order/repair receipt that a bad inj caused the hole in my piston, GM still denied the warranty on my diesel motor replacement due to evidence of my truck being tuned that was found when they checked my ECM. I had put the stock tune back in before having the truck towed back to the dealer.

So, yeah...good luck with fighting it.

To the original poster...only other suggestion I would have for you is have a GM block heater installed. It works great, at least on my diesel.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
153 Posts
^^^^
Ha, you go on thinking that...I was flagged for having a ScanGauge plugged into my ODBII port which simply displays vehicle metrics.

OP; For exhaust, check out aFE Power as well - I have the Rebel & love it, but you're not really gaining performance (beefy sound). Advanced FLOW Engineering | aFe POWER
  • For tonneau, I had hard tri-fols, but hated blocking rear window when folded. Swapped f/ retractable & couldn't be more pleased. Easier to get to full bed & nothing blocking rear window. Mine's a Retrax Pro
  • For performance, check our Soler Performance f/ TB & TC enhancements. I have both - nice little performance add-on. If you want more, and have the $$, look into supercharger options. :D

Welcome & enjoy!
Re-read what I wrote. Although "they cannot void your warranty" should probably read "they cannot legally void your warranty" to make my point more clear. In short, some dealerships deny service under warranty but unless they prove the mods directly caused the problem they have no legal right to do so. I also pointed out it would be a huge hassle to fight. It all boils down to some dealerships are cool with mods and only deny warranty service if the mod obviously caused the issue, other dealerships are dicks who know basically nobody is going to fight them on it. This also means if a dealship denies service you can take it somewhere else, although I've heard some areas have nothing but "bad" dealerships.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Re-read what I wrote. Although "they cannot void your warranty" should probably read "they cannot legally void your warranty" to make my point more clear. In short, some dealerships deny service under warranty but unless they prove the mods directly caused the problem they have no legal right to do so. I also pointed out it would be a huge hassle to fight. It all boils down to some dealerships are cool with mods and only deny warranty service if the mod obviously caused the issue, other dealerships are dicks who know basically nobody is going to fight them on it. This also means if a dealship denies service you can take it somewhere else, although I've heard some areas have nothing but "bad" dealerships.
No, it does not boil down to that at all. For a dealership to get paid for warranty work, GM has to approve said work. If a vehicle comes in with engine damage, GM will require the dealer run diagnostics to see if the engine had been tuned. If the results come back yes, then GM will tell the dealer the repair will not be covered. If you think any dealer will go ahead and do the repair out of the goodness of their heart, you are in for a shock. Nor will a dealer lie to GM and say everything was stock and risk losing their livelihood.

If you take time to read the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act rather than rely on something you heard or read elsewhere, you will note it requires warrantors to be specific in the wording of their warranty of the conditions under which the warranty is effective. GM fulfills this obligation by clearly stating the use of tuners will void the warranty. That puts the onus on YOU the user to prove the tuner did not cause the issue, not the other way around. Had GM not specified the exclusion, then under M-M, the burden of prove would be on them. By signing the purchase agreement, YOU agree to abide by the conditions set forth in the GM warranty, a warranty that again, prohibits the use of tuner.

Carrying this one step further, the supercharger offered by Mallett, is not specifically mentioned in the GM warranty, but the supercharger requires re-tuning the system in order to function to expected standards. That re-tuning would again be justification on it's own for GM to disavow warranty coverage, but they would also be able to reinforce such action simply by providing the data of what their engineers designed the components of the engine to operate under and how the Mallett unit exceeds that data.

I have stated numerous times in these types of posts that tuners and performance additions are fun and can do much to improve the performance of our vehicles but at the point you make these changes, you are voiding the warranty on whatever parts those changes makes, generally limited to the engine and transmission. A supercharger or tune isn't going to void the warranty on your radiator or radio or air conditioning, for example. And chances are if you take your tuned truck in for an oil pan leak or water pump replacement, you will never hear a peep from them about your tune. But if a wrist pin fails on a piston, or the engine eats a valve, you will be totally on your own. Nor do I believe tunes or superchargers will cause the majority of engines to have problems, depending ofcourse on how they are used, but the possibility does exist. Remember that even without any modifications, if the dealer can prove you misused a vehicle by 'dogging' it, they can void the warranty.

So the real bottom line is if you want to play, you may have to pay and Magnuson Moss will not help you out.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm too old/tired to waste finger exercise on a response & @Tom S. pretty much covered what I'd write.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts