Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an AT4 a few days ago. Included the "Offroad Performance Package ".

I have read some of the related threads and will point out the factory Offroad Performance Package option includes the removal of the Air Dam. I had not seen that mentioned before. The online build shows the Package including the following:

• 17" gloss-Black aluminum wheels
  • Spray-on bedliner
  • All-weather floor liners
  • Black AT4 badges
  • Front leveling kit
  • Black chrome exhaust tip
  • Performance Front skid plate
  • Performance Mid Skid Plate
  • Off-road rocker protection
  • Removal of front air dam

The Leveling Kit and Air Dam removal are "dealer installed", but this has not yet been done (scheduled for Monday).

I'm older and other than some deep sand and occasional wash outs at my gun club, my off-roading is limited.

Should I just leave the Air Dam on and get a feel for things first (road noise, other?) - or just have the dealer remove and be done with it???

Enjoying the forum, btw.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took mine off for looks (2017 Canyon V6) I still manage at least 25MPG on average with my heavy footed driving. I have seen so many Canyons/Colorados traded at the dealership I work at where the previous owner left them on, ended up catching it on something and tearing it partially off or just damaging it. I'm a fan of taking them off, you get much better ground clearance up front without messing with the suspension.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
If you do a lot of in town driving, under 50mph it will not make any difference in gas mileage, If a lot of highway driving it will make a difference, you can always take it off

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the AT4 with the Off Road Performance Package ends up with three skid plates, maybe there is a reason for the Air Dam removal. ( As a part of the package.).

Just my SWAG, but looking at the two skid plates under the engine - one at the very front- it seems like the air flow into the engine compartment would be restricted. Thus negating some of the effect of the Air Dam.(?)

I'll try and talk to the mechanic doing the work when I take it in Monday.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

·
Registered
136 Posts
None of the cooling comes from a low pressure zone behind the air dam (trucks in the 90s and early 00s did because of poor cooling), it's purely for aerodynamics.

Look at the size of the grill!

Reactions: shootist~

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The air dam will do nothing for noise. It may or may not effect fuel mileage and/or cooling depending on who you talk to and your driving. It’s very easy to take off on the new ones so you may decide to play around with it and see what works for you.
I beg to differ about the noise reduction. (respectfully) Since I removed mine long ago, it doesn't make that horrible scraping noise on those concrete parking blocks anymore.:p

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
Have them leave it on so you can have the satisfaction of removal yourself. Make sure all the screws go back where they were as they also hold some of the plastic to plastic parts down there together.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Or sell it here.

Reactions: Firehk and ARCowboy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Echoing the "leave it on" sentiments unless it's getting in the way.

I took mine off only because of a 3rd party bumper I installed instead. Been toying around with ways to create a detachable air dam on the replacement bumper for roadtrips, because it does help to improve the aerodynamics at highway speed. But I'm also one of those weirdos that is just fine with people thinking my truck is ugly. i figure it means they're less drawn to it and more likely to leave me alone. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thewans,

By it does help to improve the aerodynamics at highway speed -
Do you mean improved fuel effeciency ( only), or how smooth the truck drives?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,407 Posts
deciding if Bigfoot is real or not is an easier question than this...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My 2019 Colorado crew cab has the RC strut/spring 2” leveling kit in it which obviously raises the front. I had that damn air dam taken off and had dealership throw the piece of s**t in the trash. At 75 mph speed limit in Oklahoma turnpike if not a side wind drives straight as a pin. I don’t notice any difference than when I used to drive that turnpike before leveling the truck and taking the air dam off. As far as gas mileage difference never checked could care less it’s truck.

Reactions: shootist~

·
Registered
92 Posts
The air dam isn't hard to remove now like it was before. I had mine off in less than ten minutes with a impact driver and a socket.

The truck looks better without it in my opinion and if you take it off you will have the hardware and the air dam to replace it if you decide you want it.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dropped the Canyon AT4 off this morning for the finish-up on the Offroad Performance Package it came with. Remaing work was the Front Leveling Kit and Air Dam Removal -per the detail mentioned in my first post.

Also requested someone give me a call to discuss the Air Dam removal. No one called and when I picked up the AT4, the Air Dam was still on the vehicle.

Dealer service could be a little better, IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts