Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven both models and I have followed the forums for some time now.
I don't tow and I plan on lifting it with a BDS lift.
I know you guys love your diesels and that fuel economy is awesome in them.
I just cannot decide which route to go, gas or diesel.
The money spent on the Duramax, I can spend on the lift and I will have a very nice, tricked out Z-71 gasser.
My fuel economy will go down more with the V-6 than the Duramax but the cost is higher.
The "cool factor" is there with the diesel and these new midsize trucks with diesels are gaining popularity from other manufacturers.
Help me decide, facts and figures are appreciated.
My truck will be a commuter but I average maybe 20K a year if that.
I dont off-road much but I love the looks and the capability of off-road performance in my vehicles.
Thanks,

·
Registered
253 Posts
In my personal opinion if you do not plan on deleting the Def system which is going to cost you around $1,500 I would go with the gas that's just my $0.02

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drove both, and found I greatly preferred the low end feel of the diesel. I didn't care for the V6, and IMO it would get even worse if you put a lift and some bigger tires on it. Plus I fully planned on modifying it, which really made it a no contest. If you're happy with a stock truck and trade it in every three years than the V6 is your ticket. If you are a modification junky and plan on having it for 10+ years, the diesel can't be beat.

·
Registered
487 Posts
At 20k miles a year, and a lift with big tires, I'd go diesel.

You might consider a more basic LT trim with cloth, maybe add the G80 locker and save 3-5k on the options to make up for the diesel.

Your going to end up throwing out the shocks, and wheels that you would be paying a premium for with the Z71 package. So the two bits you would retain off the package is the rear locker and a $50 transfer case skid plate.

As a background In my hunt, I found a nice all blacked out LT diesel CC with cloth for 32k, and my tricked out LT was $36. The cheapest Z71 diesel was $39.

I think that's a fairer budget comparison. Forgoing some luxuries for a better motor saving you fuel, and with the torque to move a lifted beast, vs a well optioned gasser, which will cost more day to day, but be a more luxurious place to be.

·
Registered
253 Posts
At 20k miles a year, and a lift with big tires, I'd go diesel.

You might consider a more basic LT trim with cloth, maybe add the G80 locker and save 3-5k on the options to make up for the diesel.

Your going to end up throwing out the shocks, and wheels that you would be paying a premium for with the Z71 package. So the two bits you would retain off the package is the rear locker and a $50 transfer case skid plate.

As a background In my hunt, I found a nice all blacked out LT diesel CC with cloth for 32k, and my tricked out LT was $36. The cheapest Z71 diesel was $39.

I think that's a fairer budget comparison. Forgoing some luxuries for a better motor saving you fuel, and with the torque to move a lifted beast, vs a well optioned gasser, which will cost more day to day, but be a more luxurious place to be.
I agree 100% here in North Carolina when I got my truck i was looking for the same truck you mentioned it's a unicorn lol. the only diesel available here where LT4 trim or Z71 I'm not saying they don't exist but it depends on where you live. Unless you want to order it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Posting this in the diesel section will of course give you some skewed opinions. :wink2:

I got a 15' gas and I am extremely happy with it (barring my transmission acting stupid ever once and awhile). Granted it doesn't have the torque or fuel mileage as the diesel

Few years after the fact and over 45,000 miles I am happy that I didn't wait for the diesel.

1. I was worried about the diesel emission equipment which is prone to issues, I.E. DEF system. While this can be deleted, I'd rather keep my warranty in place for as long as possible.
2. Horsepower rating. While the diesel has great torque, it has a lower horsepower rating. I don't tow much (but I did want the capability to do so) so I was more worried about get up and go in traffic. Plus the horsepower to tow up loads on a hill without holding up too much traffic is a plus.
3. General Knowledge and tool availability. I've been around gas engines most of my life and have access to tools/software to work on them. I haven't really worked on diesels too much and really not comfortable doing my own work on them.
4. Experience of others. In college I worked at a lumber yard and the owner and older workers had diesels, early to mid 2000s models Fords and Dodges. They flat out told me not to get a diesel. They were starting to get up there in miles and their trucks were starting to become money pits (i.e. turbos/injectors/etc.). Couple this with number 3 and my choice was clear.

Choice is different for everyone, just my views. Take it for what its worth.

Take your time and look at all the factors when making your decision. :grin2:

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
^^^ This ^^^

Prior to 2018, there were only three reasons to get an LT over a Z71, other than rims/tires:

1. Safety Package
2. Heated mirrors
3. Factory leather seats.

My understanding is that in 2018, the heated mirrors are on the Z71, and factory leather seats will soon be an option. I would have opted for the Z71 or All Terrain version of Canyon if these had been options in 2015 rather than looking at the LT/SLT trims.

Z71 packages the options I would get on the LT at a better price.

Based on all I have read, I would personally choose the V6 over the Diesel, but I can't find fault with a decision to purchase a diesel.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just did a quick search, looks like there are a ton of 2017 Diesel Z71 on the lots here in WA for as little as $34k. The 2017 don't get leather like the 2018 but there are some smart buys. You can get a custom full leather interior from katzkin for about $1500 installed or so if that's your sticking point.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Tough call, diesel fuel cost more and from previous truck articles I read, because of the premium you pay upfront for buying a diesel the fuel cost savings don't start to show up until well after the 125,000 mark verses non-diesel. But on the other hand I don't think those articles considered that resale value is probably a bit better with diesel.

Maintenance can be a bit higher as diesel mechanics are not available at every service station, so if you have a favorite shop you like to use might want to ask if they are able to work on diesels.

Personally, unless I was towing quite frequently (like multiple times a week) and heavy loads, I would prefer (and own) gasoline version.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It's a truck not a car so the diesel should naturally be the better choice I think. That said, if you don't already know, understand and want diesel, you might be better of with the gas engines you know. Are you willing to deal with regens? Perhaps it's time to enjoy learning something new. Me, I've become a hardcore diesel fan. I even tried to find a diesel lawn mower.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmm. Diesel owners recommending diesels, gas owners recommending gassers. Who'd have thought. I enjoy the V-6 in my '15, and I believe the new V-6 has a flatter torque curve that should help in regards to the peakiness of the V in the earlier twins. Yes, the torque of the diesel is a real plus for heavier duty towing but the V-6 does just fine with the 2-3k loads I tow every other week or so. The OP says he will not tow much and will be commuting with the truck. I know this is just personal preference but I would take the HP over torque for commuting. The 0-60 times favor the V-6. The whole diesel/gas debate has been beat to death on this and other forums and it still comes down to person preference in most cases. BTW, I am not a diesel hater; my tractor is a diesel. ��

Reactions: Arctic Cat ZRT

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Hmm. Diesel owners recommending diesels, gas owners recommending gassers. Who'd have thought. I enjoy the V-6 in my '15, and I believe the new V-6 has a flatter torque curve that should help in regards to the peakiness of the V in the earlier twins. Yes, the torque of the diesel is a real plus for heavier duty towing but the V-6 does just fine with the 2-3k loads I tow every other week or so. The OP says he will not tow much and will be commuting with the truck. I know this is just personal preference but I would take the HP over torque for commuting. The 0-60 times favor the V-6. The whole diesel/gas debate has been beat to death on this and other forums and it still comes down to person preference in most cases. BTW, I am not a diesel hater; my tractor is a diesel. ��
Losing the V6 acceleration with the diesel would probably drive me nuts.

Could I live with the diesel? Yes. Would I get good performance out of it? Yes. Would I prefer to spend that $4k on something else? Yes - actually would go 4WD if I bought a new truck since we got rid of our Wrangler.

I don't think either engine would disappoint.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you don't intend to use your truck as a truck, get the v6. If you intend to tow and haul, get the diesel.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Of course you need to keep in mind that the diesel gets 30% better mileage and it also costs $25.00 less to fill the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
I tried to justify the diesel and based on my average commute, fuel vs gas cost, maintenance along with the vehicle cost differential, I couldn't do it. Maybe my circumstances are different enough that the numbers don't work. I commute 8 miles, 4 days a week in mixed traffic and when I travel for business the truck usage goes down even more. A high mileage month for the truck would be 400 miles and that would be with a lot of extra running. Even with the resale value of a diesel and keeping my vehicles an average of 10 years, I do not believe the diesel would pay for itself based on the resale value of a low mileage vehicle.

Nor do I tow and about the heaviest thing I carry is a couple of set of golf clubs. Of course, when I get the next motorhome it will absolutely be a diesel pusher and yes I would have a diesel mower if I could have found one that met the needs of a 1 acre flat yard.

Look that the options, how long you plan on keeping the truck and most importantly get what you want after you test drive both models, as you will see a big difference getting up to speed, climbing hills and city driving - in my opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was exactly where you are two weeks ago. I think every difference between the two has been mentioned. Mileage, fuel cost, repair cost, torque, HP, regen. One thing not mentioned is limp mode in the Diesel.
When I started two months ago looking at Colorados I was 100 % diesel. The more I looked into it, I started to lean to the gasser. I use my truck mostly for short city driving and light hauling. I tow my boat about 5500-6000lbs 2-4 times a month a short distance to the ramp. Given that ... for me I went gasser. Seems a simpler platform. I think both are great trucks. If I traveled long distances often or planned on extensive long distance towing, I would have gone diesel for sure. Good luck with your decision. I think you'll be happy either way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One thing not mentioned is limp mode in the Diesel.

Limp mode should never be experienced. The DEF tank lasts 7500 miles and it warns you at 2500 mi, and then counts down after about 500 miles. The fluid is available at almost any gas station and costs $30 to fill it completely from empty. It's a non issue.

But short city driving as mentioned as well is not where the diesel shines. Diesels definitely need to get hot and allowed to stretch for miles. Stop and go city traffic all day long every day will cause you a lot of headaches with coking of the intake, turbo, etc.

Truthfully the diesel/gas debate is almost a wash for saving money. It won't nickel and dime you daily at the pump, but maintenance intervals is marginally more expensive as it's a more complicated powerplant.

You're buying a set of benefits with the diesel. Longer range between fill ups, torque for work and cruising and for OP, overcoming drag from big tires and a lift, without having to put your foot in it.

The gasser is cheap to own and maintain, and gives lots of horsepower which is awesome if your chasing stoplights or running the open desert, and generally using it as a light work commuter.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't understand what you are looking for. Are you set on 4WD? If 2WD, why would you lift for the look and give up handling? You did state that you don't off-road much. If that is the case but you still want 4WD - leave it alone.

Diesel or V6? If you have to ask - get the V6 with 8 speed.

Would you tune a diesel if you had one? The 6 will still be faster.
Will you be upset when your cold side intercooler tube splits? It will.
Will you be upset when your alternator AOD pulley siezes? It will.

The direct injected 6 will gunk up it's intake but so will the direct injected I4 diesel. The worthless V6 cylinder deactivation may cause some issues down the road with the V6.

Bottom line is there are some issues either way. If you don't tow a lot or offroad you will probably enjoy on-ramp blasts more with the V6. We both know you'll do that more often, right?

If you aren't planning on driving this vehicle 500k the economy won't pencil out.

Should world politics play out poorly you'll have more serious issues than fuel availability.

Go for the 6!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.