Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new truck for a month and last week I turned on the AC. I was surprised how noisy the AC is when the truck is stopped and idling or moving slowly in traffic. It was so annoying I would turn it off and on in slow traffic. It's not a super loud noise, but just a constant whine. When I first turn it on it's not too bad, but after a minute it starts. I came from a Ford Ranger and the AC was quiet compared to this truck. Is this normal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can hear mine as well...I attributed it to the truck being so quiet.....I mean its not the fan noise and it sounds like the compressor just a little different pitch.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is the freon circulated by the compressor that is making the whine. I had mine at the dealer several times for the whining noise because it is quite loud at times inside the cabin. They did a lot of research with chassis ears and when they removed the freon, the noise went away. Recharging the system and the noise returned. They tried each truck on the lot and found they all do it to some extent. Mine is a 2015 and the dealer confirmed the 2016's do it as well. I do not know about the 2017's.

If you open the hood with the engine running and AC on, you will clearly hear the whine from the compressor area.

There remains an open case for mine, but the dealer is not optimistic it will be fixed. I will get the paper work from my truck and update with the case number.

I do not feel they will arrive at a fix and the only hope is they have resolved it with the new engine that probably has different AC routing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The service work order from 11Dec15 when the technician did the first detailed investigation has a Technical Assistance Case# 8-1704323225. This is the one where the Freon was removed and the system running without Freon was quiet. After recharging with Freon, the whistle returned.

I checked the paperwork from my 02Mar16 visit to the dealer and there is no case number on the work order. It does reference other work orders, but those appear to be unique to the dealer. Those work orders reference two other Canyons in stock which made the same noise. They did not have any other Canyons on the lot.

They did note on the work order that they actually changed the compressor and hose assembly with resonator on a stock truck. The noise was still there with the replacement parts installed. The removed parts were sent to GM.

They did the work under supervision of a field service engineer named Jeff Kahn. A specific statement in the write-up states "If a microphone is placed on the AC line just behind the resonator the sound is very loud when happening."

The last time I was in for service was 26Oct16 and they had nothing to report as an update except that the problem has low priority.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service work order from 11Dec15 when the technician did the first detailed investigation has a Technical Assistance Case# 8-1704323225. This is the one where the Freon was removed and the system running without Freon was quiet. After recharging with Freon, the whistle returned.

I checked the paperwork from my 02Mar16 visit to the dealer and there is no case number on the work order. It does reference other work orders, but those appear to be unique to the dealer. Those work orders reference two other Canyons in stock which made the same noise. They did not have any other Canyons on the lot.

They did note on the work order that they actually changed the compressor and hose assembly with resonator on a stock truck. The noise was still there with the replacement parts installed. The removed parts were sent to GM.

They did the work under supervision of a field service engineer named Jeff Kahn. A specific statement in the write-up states "If a microphone is placed on the AC line just behind the resonator the sound is very loud when happening."

The last time I was in for service was 26Oct16 and they had nothing to report as an update except that the problem has low priority.
Thanks for the update and information. I'll stop by my dealer and see what they say about it. It's really annoying and I find it difficult to believe the manufacturer hasn't addressed the issue in manufacturing.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
What if you placed some pieces of Dynomat on the metal AC lines?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I've had my new truck for a month and last week I turned on the AC. I was surprised how noisy the AC is when the truck is stopped and idling or moving slowly in traffic. It was so annoying I would turn it off and on in slow traffic. It's not a super loud noise, but just a constant whine. When I first turn it on it's not too bad, but after a minute it starts. I came from a Ford Ranger and the AC was quiet compared to this truck. Is this normal?
I have never heard mine whine. A small noise from a compressor is normal but a loudish or loud whine means there is something wrong with it. As long as it cools good and you are under warranty for a while I guess I wouldn't sweat it too much, but I would leave a paper trail at the dealer. Heck they might even replace it.

I do here the freon pumping through the evap when I first turn it on though, totally normal. That is nothing like a whine though, its more of a whooshing sound.

Reactions: dave66rivi

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my new 2017 GMC Canyon XLT a couple months ago and it's always been pretty loud. When I drive through a parking garage you can really hear it. Not necessarily a whine or swishing sound - more like a noisy bearing sound. I haven't had my first service yet, but I'll be bringing that to their attention when I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same AC noise on my 2017 SLT 3.6 v6 Canyon. I've taken it twice back to the dealer during servicing for them to dismiss it as normal even though it's louder than the engine with the AC on. They said that they won't be doing anything with this condition....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Went in for a state inspection today and griped about the noisy AC. They shrugged their shoulders and claimed "it's normal". I'm calling BS. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2018 does the same thing, the most noisiest A/C i have ever heard. Usually when a system is that loud it is low on freon but it seems mine is not as it blows very cold. Possibly characteristic of the new 1234 freon?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I auto start mine and I can hear the rap music playing before I get to the truck, don't hear no other noise...

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Mine makes a funky errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise when it’s on. Goes away when I turn the ac off so I assume it’s the AC.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Id like to know what sort of mojo magic they did when they told you they removed the freon and then the noise went away. No kidding it went away........ because without the freon in the system, the compressor has nothing to compress. And unless they went and jumped out the low pressure switch, , they might as well have either cut the belt or taken the compressor out of the system, turned it on, no noise, hey look, we identified the problem. PS.....not a good idea since that switch is there to prevent damage to the system.

Also, the 2017s if Im not mistaken were the 1st year with the new R1234 freon. Much higher pressures then with R134.

Silly dealers will tell people anything to avoid actually spending time trying to identify and fix something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is a 2016 and it makes the noise also. I didn't notice as bad with the factory compressor but that one failed because the clutch would not engage and I had no AC. Every since they replaced the compressor around 12700 miles it have noticed it's allow louder. and I hear the whine that you are talking about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2018, just bought it. It has a December sticker on it here in Virginia. As such, I assume it is a late 2017 build. The AC compressor is also abnormally noise on it as well. It works fine cooling so far. Just noisy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got my 2017 Canyon back from having the torque converter TSB done, and brought the noisy AC up again. They sent their tech to drive it, but came to the same previous conclusion of it sounding "normal". I called BS and stated that the loaner Malibu I just got out of had an AC system that was as quiet as a church mouse. He had the nerve to say that was like comparing apples to oranges. No, it was like comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples, they're both a GM compressor. He then said it sounded normal for a Canyon or Colorado - which leads me to the obvious conclusion that all Canyon/Colorado compressors are poorly designed. He said I'd have to take that up with GM engineers. I thought that was a bogus response. Why should I as the consumer have to initiate an engineering investigation? Not happy about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think it is the compressor. Read somewhere that the expansion valve is the culprit. Kind of makes sense. It is throttling the refrigerant getting into the cabin heat exchanger. When the compressor runs the pressure drop thought the valve will be higher, so it will sound louder. Plus it is mounted into the fire wall directly in front of the drivers dash. Guessing the Malibu must be configured differently.
Just got my 2017 Canyon back from having the torque converter TSB done, and brought the noisy AC up again. They sent their tech to drive it, but came to the same previous conclusion of it sounding "normal". I called BS and stated that the loaner Malibu I just got out of had an AC system that was as quiet as a church mouse. He had the nerve to say that was like comparing apples to oranges. No, it was like comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples, they're both a GM compressor. He then said it sounded normal for a Canyon or Colorado - which leads me to the obvious conclusion that all Canyon/Colorado compressors are poorly designed. He said I'd have to take that up with GM engineers. I thought that was a bogus response. Why should I as the consumer have to initiate an engineering investigation? Not happy about this.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Folks! All the effort they put into making the cabin quite, then GM drops the ball on AC engineering. So sad, should have never happened. If folks keep carping here maybe it will get some attention and something can be done. Otherwise, I think we are going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Also, the 2017s if Im not mistaken were the 1st year with the new R1234 freon. Much higher pressures then with R134.
I was under the impression that R1234yf had very similar vapor-pressure performance to R134a.

CO2 systems (R744) operate under much higher pressures.

There are new design considerations for systems using R1234yf though, the whole system needs to be more resistant to leaking and puncture due to flammability of the refrigerant.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts