Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be flushing my friends coolant system on his 05 Colorado.. I've done this on my car and many others, but I primarily work on Hondas.

Is there a write up on this?

Do I just drain the coolant out via the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, then remove the upper coolant hose and put the water hose through it and run the engine for a bit to flush it out?

How much coolant does the coolant system take? Is there a bleeder valve to bleed the coolant system, or do you just run it with the rad cap off for a bit to get the air out?

I know what I'm doing, but have never worked on anything but Hondas.. I wanna save my friend the $90 everyone charges to do this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Having replaced my own radiator, I can tell you that there is no drain valve on the bottom unfortunately. Since I replaced mine, I didn't do the flush. Not sure how to run through the system but wanted you to be aware that isn't a valve. Must have been a cost cutting measure on GM's part since that Dexcool is such great, long lasting stuff. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if there is not a drain valve on the radiator, how do you drain out the coolant? Just disconnect the bottom hose maybe?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
TR said:
So if there is not a drain valve on the radiator, how do you drain out the coolant? Just disconnect the bottom hose maybe?
Either that or drill a hole in the radiator and let it drain out. :wink:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, you can disconnect the bottom hose but I am not sure you will get all of the fluid in the rad.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Then insert hose into top of radiator and turn on. This will flush the radiator, but not the system.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I filled up 2 five gallon water jugs with water from one of those coin water machines. Drained the old stuff by pulling the bottom hose and opening the cap. Then toped off the cooling system with filtered water. Then ran the engine, pulled the bottom hose off and let it drain into a bucket. I kept doing this until the water came out clear.

Once flushed I filled it up with 50% dexcool and 50% filtered water. I also took the reservoir out and cleaned it because there was a lot of gunk in mine. I also added Royal Purple's Purple ICE.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You should be able to disconnect the top hose at the radiator and start the truck, put a running water in the radiator and then when the truck gets up to operating temperature the thermostat will open and water will come out. Keep doing it until the water is clear.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Every 5 years or 150K miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
If you are the original owner, when you get to the 5 year mark, yes, I recommend flushing and new coolant. Even though the coolant looks good, what you can't see is the corrosion inhibitors and other additives get weak with age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts