Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new (400) miles Colorado and can't stand the rake. I'm considering either the 1¼" Autospring top spacer or the 2" kit. I'm not interested in kits involving a pre-load spacer since I love the ride as is. I don't want to touch the rear, just want to level it out. My question is which kit do I go with since my front/rear difference is 1½"? If I go with the 1¼, then I'm ¼" too low and if I go with the 2" I'll be ½" too high in the front. Do these spacers actually raise the front exactly 2" or 1¼" as advertised? I'm not really interested in tire size right now, just want to level it out as close as possible without having to start screwing with the rear leafs. Any advice is appreciated guys!

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I have a brand new (400) miles Colorado and can't stand the rake. I'm considering either the 1¼" Autospring top spacer or the 2" kit. I'm not interested in kits involving a pre-load spacer since I love the ride as is. I don't want to touch the rear, just want to level it out. My question is which kit do I go with since my front/rear difference is 1½"? If I go with the 1¼, then I'm ¼" too low and if I go with the 2" I'll be ½" too high in the front. Do these spacers actually raise the front exactly 2" or 1¼" as advertised? I'm not really interested in tire size right now, just want to level it out as close as possible without having to start screwing with the rear leafs. Any advice is appreciated guys!
I think you meant the 1 1/4 spacer lifts it 2 inches? Just so you know, it will lift higher than the spacer height because the tires are out a lot further than the spring. Anywho, you better measure if you want it perfect because all these trucks seem to be a little different.

I did the 2 1/2 front AS kit. I did do the 1" block in the back though. I think it might have a slight rake still but oh so much better than stock (I don't even think it is noticeable). Make sure you do the differential drop with any spacer or spring method of lifting the front. It came with my Auto Spring kit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The Rough Country 2" leveling kit uses 2 spacers, one 1/2" spacer on top of the strut lowering the entire strut and one 1/2" spacer to "preload" the spring.
The ride is so close to stock I could barely tell the difference, only very slightly stiffer in front as it just pushes the shock out further so that the shock sits 1/2" further extended than stock height.
The strut sits right at 1/2 way out on the front suspension so 1/2" at the strut equals 1" at the wheel.

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you meant the 1 1/4 spacer lifts it 2 inches? Just so you know, it will lift higher than the spacer height because the tires are out a lot further than the spring. Anywho, you better measure if you want it perfect because all these trucks seem to be a little different.

I did the 2 1/2 front AS kit. I did do the 1" block in the back though. I think it might have a slight rake still but oh so much better than stock (I don't even think it is noticeable). Make sure you do the differential drop with any spacer or spring method of lifting the front. It came with my Auto Spring kit.
From everything I've read, only if you're using over a 2" spacer do you need to lower the front diff to compensate for the CV joint angle. AutoSpring only gives you the diff spacers with the 2½" kit, not the 2" or 1¼" kits. So, if I'm understanding you right, if whatever kit I decide on it will lift it slightly more than stated...so since I'm only 1½" lower in front I should use the 1¼" kit?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Rough Country 2" leveling kit uses 2 spacers, one 1/2" spacer on top of the strut lowering the entire strut and one 1/2" spacer to "preload" the spring.
The ride is so close to stock I could barely tell the difference, only very slightly stiffer in front as it just pushes the shock out further so that the shock sits 1/2" further extended than stock height.
The strut sits right at 1/2 way out on the front suspension so 1/2" at the strut equals 1" at the wheel.
Yes, I agree but since I'm doing the install myself I'd rather not have to rebuild the struts on my brand new truck and I'm not really fond of using spring compressors to accomplish this.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
From everything I've read, only if you're using over a 2" spacer do you need to lower the front diff to compensate for the CV joint angle. AutoSpring only gives you the diff spacers with the 2½" kit, not the 2" or 1¼" kits. So, if I'm understanding you right, if whatever kit I decide on it will lift it slightly more than stated...so since I'm only 1½" lower in front I should use the 1¼" kit?
No, it will lift it what the kit states (well close anyway). You need a 1 1/2 if it is that much lower in the front.....I'm just saying to get 2 inches for instance, you only need a 1 inch spacer. (approximately).

As far as the diff drop, I guess you don't "have" to use it. I'm just thinking using it in any case would be best because the design of the diff/axles puts them at a certain angle from a design standpoint. Lots of people don't run it at all on even a 2 1/2 I'm sure, but I would. It might save your diff and axles and boots from premature wear. Remember they are spinning all the time. Cheap insurance really. Apparently the guy that makes the Auto Spring kit sees it a necessity on his 2 1/2, most likely because something is binding at full extension, not good. But yes, you don't "have" to run it with just 1 1/2 lift.

I'm sure with the 1 1/2 kit it will look great, imo these trucks sure look goofy with the rake from the factory. I see the stock ones around all the time and it bugs me now. ahaha

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Sallyboy, looks like nobody has answered your question yet, I will follow along as I want to raise the front up to almost level with out effecting the ride quality too. Garrett "little stiffer" is effecting the ride quality, just saying

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sallyboy, looks like nobody has answered your question yet, I will follow along as I want to raise the front up to almost level with out effecting the ride quality too. Garrett "little stiffer" is effecting the ride quality, just saying
And...I am "just saying" that unless you knew the truck had been lifted using the RC 2 piece leveling kit instead of some other 1 piece top spacer only leveling kit you would not be able to tell the difference in ride quality....just saying....

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
The answer is just get a 1 to 1 1/2 spacer, install it, then get an alignment. I'm thinking anything from 1, 1 and a 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 will do the trick. Simple really. A spacer will not change the ride at all. Well maybe if you had some weird equipment that measured that kind of thing. You azz can't tell :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So for a 2" lift the spacer is only 1" thick?
No, it will lift it what the kit states (well close anyway). You need a 1 1/2 if it is that much lower in the front.....I'm just saying to get 2 inches for instance, you only need a 1 inch spacer. (approximately).

As far as the diff drop, I guess you don't "have" to use it. I'm just thinking using it in any case would be best because the design of the diff/axles puts them at a certain angle from a design standpoint. Lots of people don't run it at all on even a 2 1/2 I'm sure, but I would. It might save your diff and axles and boots from premature wear. Remember they are spinning all the time. Cheap insurance really. Apparently the guy that makes the Auto Spring kit sees it a necessity on his 2 1/2, most likely because something is binding at full extension, not good. But yes, you don't "have" to run it with just 1 1/2 lift.

I'm sure with the 1 1/2 kit it will look great, imo these trucks sure look goofy with the rake from the factory. I see the stock ones around all the time and it bugs me now. ahaha

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.