Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the trial data connection expires, can the navigation feature use our cell phone data link to get traffic data somehow? Our Toyota does this via the enTune app, so I can use my phone data connection to drive the built-in car navigation, can my Chevy do the same?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think the traffic data is from SiriusXM radio I could be wrong though

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
176 Posts
Using carplay my Iphone must be plugged in for the nav to pull up on the radio. So carplay see's the map on the phone. Don't know about android auto.

The gmc app will no longer work to send directions to the truck :(

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We need to find out which nav he is talking about.

If you are talking about the standalone navigation from GM (the 499 option), then you need XM travel link to get traffic data for the maps.

Reactions: greco2003

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the navigation system built in to the truck, I'm not sure the option number but when you hit the navigation icon on the touch screen. Wow I had no idea that was tied to XM, what a horrible idea! Thank goodness for Android Auto! Chevy should take a hint from Toyota on this one, when you get in the car the enTune app automatically links the car to your phone, it's really nice. Android Auto is great, but hopefully one day it will work without having to plug the phone in. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Android Auto is great, but hopefully one day it will work without having to plug the phone in. :)
That would be nice, but Bluetooth has nowhere near enough bandwidth to manage full-screen updates and audio. Both Android Auto and CarPlay require USB 2.0 as a minimum. USB 2.0 has 800 times more bandwidth than Bluetooth (800kbps vs 480Mbps). Consider how long it takes to do a Bluetooth transfer of a single photo from your phone to a computer...

They'd have to change the standards to run over WiFi. I'm guessing few OEM head-units support WiFi access by apps running within the head-unit, I imagine most in-car WiFi support is available to external clients only (your phone, a laptop, etc). The 2017+ Twins can do this (the WiFi menu lets you connect the head-unit to the truck's own WiFi although it appears only the lame "Store" app uses it), but it seems 2015 and 2016 can't, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that required a hardware change in most cases. I mean for most OEMs, not just our trucks.

In short, don't hold your breath. Google and Apple are struggling just to support the current product. (I was on the Android Auto beta program for a period of time, it was a mess.)

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just was looking at SiriusXM page today to manage my account traffic is 3.99 a month. Not really worth it to me I don't travel in heavy traffic areas often enough unless I got to Dallas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And usually traffic updates, from XM to GM's GPS, are over an hour behind Android Auto.

We were South of Denver, headed north on I-29 ,at a dead stop for nearly 2 hours cuz of an accident.

Within 15 minutes of sitting there, we were warned of the accident by Android Auto and to use an alternate route.

An hour and 15 minutes later, the alert finally came over the GM GPS unit.

BOTH were too late warning us of the accident, but I'd take a 15 minute old warning over one that is over 75 minutes old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.