Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If what I've read on this forum from people in the Denver area is to be believed, fly and buy is probably my best bet... Sort of a bummer, but I was doing Roadkill-style road trips long before Roadkill was a thing.
Checking the Chevrolet website, it looks like the closest ZR2 Bison CCSB Diesels tp Denver are in the Salt Lake area. Says 5 exist between 250 and 500 miles of you. 3 in Utah, one in Wyoming, and one in Nebraska.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For the vast majority of the country, I agree with you 100%. It's an YouTube wang-ruler sort of thing. I'm genuinely surprised the market and the manufacturers are moving in the direction they are, but for people up here where I live and in similar locales, it's a wonderful thing.

My property up here in the mountains is the mostly vertical side of a canyon. 4X4 is required at least a few times a year just to leave my driveway. Lockers have been required on one occasion that I know of (my wife's Jeep has the lockers, I just don't leave the house when my truck isn't up to it), and we haven't been here long enough for any 'real' weather. Adding to that, I have a baby on the way who will be born around the winter solstice (right as winter is ramping up). For safety's sake, lockers (and studded snows) are a GREAT thing to have around here if I need to get down to the flats PDQ and the roads aren't clear. So that's the ZR2 at a minimum there.

The armor from the Bison package is a high quality, lightweight, crash tested, and cooling system friendly set of things I'd have added myself anyway for camping around here when it's not snowy, and at a substantial discount and substantially better than what I'd have been able to find on the aftermarket. A Bison might be pretty dramatic overkill in Austin, but this ain't Austin, and double the price of a Z71 is less than it'd take to get a Z71 to the same level of spec. I am very happy Chevy decided to grace us with the ZR2 and the Bison package at a price I consider pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My Bison lives in Austin, and it's been great as a daily driver and a weekend friend in the dirt, but it's much more happier when I head to AZ and MT

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How are you liking it? I drove a Diesel, and I drove a Bison. I liked the way the diesel drove for sure. Torque where and how it's needed in a truck that's going to do work and be good up here in the mountains, and without the altitude penalty for natural aspiration to boot. I drove a gas Bison, and that suspension is what it's cracked up to be! I was a little confused at some of the descriptions I was reading from the automotive literati. Some were saying it was smooth like a luxury car, but it definitely was not unless your comparison is a very sport-oriented luxury car.

It sort of reminded me of my ca. 2002 BMW 330i. About the same level of luxury touches, and in the driving I was doing, it felt about the same in terms of suspension, road awareness, ride, and a few other details. Taught and ready to go, I just didn't have an opportunity to give it. I don't know how peppy the diesel can ultimately be, but it almost seems like there might be a bit of a pull to drive it faster than it's capable. Maybe to the point of frustration, maybe in a slow-car-fast kind of way, or maybe not at all... Any insight?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2020 ZR2 Bison Diesel on 8/26. If they didn't start building them until 8/19 then that's pretty quick. A dealer in NC had three of them and my local FL dealer was able to snag one, after spending about a week trying to find me a 2019. Loving it. Having fun watching the mpg, averaging about 21 mpg in my "city-suburban-country" driving. Is it worth the money? Well, to me it was. I was looking at the Jeep Gladiator but the diesel convinced me along with some quality issues I had been seeing/reading about online. I ended up not paying much more for my 20 then I was looking at paying for the end of year 19 (with all the sales/rebates/incentives going on.) I even accidentally made money off my dealer on a part of the truck. It was invoiced to come with the in-bed tire carrier which I strongly didn't want. So I badgered the dealer nicely for another $500 on my trade. When I went to pick up the truck and sign the papers, there was the HUGE box next to the sales guy. He says, "yep, that's your carrier, new in the box". I said call your manager over and ask them to give $200 for that $495 part worth $695 installed. So the manager came over and she said: "how much do you want for that?" I said $200, it worth blah, blah put it on a guys truck that wants it and charge him the $695, etc. She said yes. Well, it turned out the carrier was $615 so I made $85. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
BobN
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing