Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Colorado with a 2.9L
The fan runs super loud whenever I accelerate and increases as my RPMs increase. It does NOT overheat and seems to drive fine otherwise. So far I’ve replaced the fan clutch and the coolant temp sensor but no dice… it’s not throwing any error codes. I don’t mind having to replace things since I just got a great deal for it from my boss and know that it needs some love, but I’d really like to be able to pin point the problem without having to waste time and money replacing 15 things that don’t need replaced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
The fan runs super loud whenever I accelerate and increases as my RPMs increase. It does NOT overheat and seems to drive fine otherwise. So far I’ve replaced the fan clutch and the coolant temp sensor but no dice… it’s not throwing any error codes. I don’t mind having to replace things since I just got a great deal for it from my boss and know that it needs some love, but I’d really like to be able to pin point the problem without having to waste time and money replacing 15 things that don’t need replaced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to guess it's a bearing in the idler or the tensioner. Nowadays you can buy a kit that includes them and the belt.
Those bearing usually last about 75k miles or so.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,011 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the 355 platform as the 360s, but do you have a normal thermal fan clutch or the electronic plug in type.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

honestly that could make sense.. I mean I do need a new belt as it is. It has tiny fissures all over it. Might as well try changing the idler pulley. The good thing about changing the other parts is Atleast I know those parts are good now and I have the old ones for backups lol.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Cheap thing first, idler pulluy. If still loud, tensioner. A bad belt would squeal not roar. Possibly a bad water pump bearing, but try other things first. A new belt is in order anyway on a 2007 truck. While the belt is off, rotate each of the components to feel for roughness in the pullies.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is.

Is the problem that the fan runs all the time and never shuts off?

Or do you think it's too loud when it's operating?

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Not sure if this truck has a viscously fan clutch/fan, or electric cooling fans. If a fan clutch and plastic fan, I have seen the plastic fans crack around the mounting hub and cause noise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the 355 platform as the 360s, but do you have a normal thermal fan clutch or the electronic plug in type.
I was thinking the same thing, also being far more familiar with the 360 platform than the 355, but I think GM stopped using the electroviscous fan clutch in both platforms in 2006 (and I'm not certain it was ever used on the 2.9L).

With that said, it is not out of the ordinary for new fan clutch to be bad and not disengage, so that could certainly be the cause of the fan continuing to turn and roar even when it shouldn't be doing so. I've had this exact scenario occur myself, where the manufacturer didn't properly clean after machining the parts and before assembly, and bits of metal embedded themselves and prevented the fan from properly slipping against the clutch.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,011 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, also being far more familiar with the 360 platform than the 355, but I think GM stopped using the electroviscous fan clutch in both platforms in 2006 (and I'm not certain it was ever used on the 2.9L).

With that said, it is not out of the ordinary for new fan clutch to be bad and not disengage, so that could certainly be the cause of the fan continuing to turn and roar even when it shouldn't be doing so. I've had this exact scenario occur myself, where the manufacturer didn't properly clean after machining the parts and before assembly, and bits of metal embedded themselves and prevented the fan from properly slipping against the clutch.
I've had issues with non oem thermal clutches just not operating properly. Be it never having a lock up or never disengaging. I finally went with a delco on the trailblazer. It was about 3x the size of the direct replacement Hayden unit. Issues like that are reported across multiple GM vehicles using thermal clutch units. It will sound exactly like a semi fan. Not hurting anything just robbing power.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had issues with non oem thermal clutches just not operating properly. Be it never having a lock up or never disengaging. I finally went with a delco on the trailblazer. It was about 3x the size of the direct replacement Hayden unit. Issues like that are reported across multiple GM vehicles using thermal clutch units. It will sound exactly like a semi fan. Not hurting anything just robbing power.
You read my mind again, as I had actually typed out in my previous response that the issues I had were with aftermarket clutches and that I've never had issues with ACDelco clutches. However, I decided to delete that comment since I also named the manufacturer, and decided not to throw them under the bus since I don't know if they are involved in the OP's issue.

It's also worth noting that some auto parts house brands are selling remanufactured fan clutches, so rebuilding failed cores, and the quality and longevity of these are all over the place. Given the relative criticality of the fan clutch to the cooling system, it seems like a bad gamble to take on these remanufactured parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is.

Is the problem that the fan runs all the time and never shuts off?

Or do you think it's too loud when it's operating?
The problem is that it’s too loud when it’s operating. The noise increases as the RPMs increase. It’s not really noticeable when idle.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The problem is that it’s too loud when it’s operating. The noise increases as the RPMs increase. It’s not really noticeable when idle.
My next question would be if the noise is “normal” fan noise or if you think there’s something else going on. Is this your first vehicle with a mechanical fan? They are loud!! If you’ve never had one before I can understand why you’re wondering if it’s working right.

The one on my ‘09 would stay engaged for a few seconds after takeoff until the fan clutch warmed up. Massive noise…like you said, like a garbage truck (without all the banging of dumpsters…lol). But those trucks also have mechanical fans, most of them, anyway. The noise should fade out once the fan clutch is warmed up. Or if it engaged because the engine was hot, it should fade out once the engine temperature is lower.

Maybe post a video of what you’re hearing and let the peanut gallery decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts