Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
461 - 480 of 485 Posts
Deadly,

I'm so grateful you tried the AEV snorkel on your rig and it looks fantastic. Yours is the first I've seen, and I'm very grateful to another member who sent me this link on Expedition Portal so I could find it.

I know you've covered that the install went fine, but are there any tricky bits or things you'd do differently if you were to do it again? Someone just happens to be sitting at his computer with the credit card out and AEV's website pulled up for my own Canyon (me!).

Again, thanks for being the guinea pig.

Cheers
CoT

Under 2 hours to install with a buddy. Went smoothly. Aside from a small gap where the fender bends it's pretty much a perfect fit. I wont lie, I was nervous it was going to be a disaster ?

Time for backcountry shenanigans.

Only upgrade left is 35's and 4.56 gears.

150, 000 km on the truck now and still running like new.
Holy, it looks great! Thanks for taking the risk and doing this!

Discussion starter · #463 ·
Been a while since I have visited the forum.

Truck is still running well. Replaced the drivers side lower control arm for the second time. Anyone making a ball joint for our trucks yet? Ridiculous GM makes us buy a whole new arm for a wear part.

Pulled the trigger and bought a set of ridge grapplers in a 35x11.5x18. Fabricator buddy is going to cut my fenders in November.

Cutting my swing arm off of my rear bumper, I am over having to open it every time I want into the back of the truck.

Have done a few shorter offroad trips, nothing to brag about. I have been stuck a few times, once for 2 hours while being eatin alive by black flies, lol.

Will be regearing in the spring, it's not in the immediate budget.

All in all the truck is still running well and I have no real complaints, which is a good thing to be able to say after 4.5 years. I still aim to drive it until it dies someday. Hopefully that will be in another 10 years from now.

What tipped you off on the failed LCA?

Clunking from front end
Joy.... I have a clunking that seems to have gotten worse after replacing my UCAs. Guess I need to unbolt the lower ball joint and have a looksee.

Discussion starter · #468 ·
Joy.... I have a clunking that seems to have gotten worse after replacing my UCAs. Guess I need to unbolt the lower ball joint and have a looksee.

You hate to hear this, you cannot buy just a lower ball joing from gm or aftermarket (that I could find anyways). You'll have to buy an entire lower control arm from GM ($$$). I have bought two now for my front right side. I suspect GM doesnt put enough grease in them and unless you want to put a hole in the boot (which you dont) you wont be able to regrease them. I am over being pissed about that.....lol maybe not

You hate to hear this, you cannot buy just a lower ball joing from gm or aftermarket (that I could find anyways). You'll have to buy an entire lower control arm from GM ($$$). I have bought two now for my front right side. I suspect GM doesnt put enough grease in them and unless you want to put a hole in the boot (which you dont) you wont be able to regrease them. I am over being pissed about that.....lol maybe not
Damn it! lol Now we're both pissed.

Discussion starter · #471 · (Edited)
Lots of cutting, bending and banging going on. Had to body mount choo and remove the emergency brake (I have never used it) and do a bunch of other cuts. Should fit now. Painting up the exposed metals then figure a way to get the flares to not look too hacked up....likely fiberglass them.

Will be getting the other three tires mounted in the next few days. Do a final fitment test then an alignment.

So far so good.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Is your caster maxed out? It looks like you have some room left.

Can't wait to see it!

Reactions: deadly99
Discussion starter · #476 ·
Rough Country flares modified to fit the wheel wells. A bit of fiberglass work. Going to drill holes in the fenders and attach them with proper bolts instaed of the just for show bolts. Going to glue the rubber seal onto the flares as I am sick of it constantly coming off.

Discussion starter · #477 ·
Other maintenance items I have had to do in the past few months.

My AC compressor went, replaced with an aftermarket one (as it was cheaper, it was a rebuilt one). Again mud, sand, etc likely lead to this failure.

My battery (stock one) finally gave up the ghost. replaced it with an agm one with the larger diesel size. Never tried an agm battery before so decided to give it a try even though I likely shouldn't have. Hope it powers my refrigerator for longer when the truck is turned off. The size increase will help, no idea if the agm will help.

My rear leaf springs and add leaf are worn right out. One of my rear shocks blew a seal and the rod is chipped so putting new seals in would only be a temp fix. Had the Timbren bump stops sitting in my garage for a while so had a shop install them when they were doing some other work. What a mistake. Second set from timbren and way too big. I returned the first set as they obviously were not made to fit our trucks, I should have checked as the second set was the same. Sadly the shop threw out my stock bump stops. Truck is now sitting on the timbren stops, this is with an add a leaf and a 2 inch block. The ride is brutal now. Need new leafs, shocks and bumps for the rear. Haven't decided what to do about all of this yet so I am just suffering with the hard and jolting ride for now. Would like to get the shock mounts up on top of the axle if I am going to blow a bunch of money on the rear suspension again, Heck would love to get rid of the leafs all together but I haven't seen anyone doing this yet (let me know if you know of anyone who has please).

Not sure of exact mileage at the moment but somewhere around 170, 000 km. 9 more onths until no more truck payments, lol.

Oh ya paint if peeling off the drivers side door under the mirror, about a 4x4 inch piece flaked off. will shoot it with some spray paint when the weather warms up. All along I was hoping to do a wrap or a new paint job once the truck was paid off...not sure if that will happen or not.

Got some inchannel vents sitting in the garage and a new mesh grill. Will have to wait until spring to install. Also bought some sleeves for the tie rods to accommodate the larger tires but for the life of me I cannot find where I put them. Lost in the mess that is my garage somewhere.

The pressed in bearings and spacers at the bottom of my Icon coilovers have failed so I have some clunking from there. Will need to address this sooner than later. I also suspect my front ubolt will need replacing soon.

Only a month or so away from owning this truck for 5 years. Its been beaten up on a regular basis but well maintained. Still happy with it and hope to enjoy it for years to come.

Discussion starter · #478 ·
35's finished. Only place it rubs is on the sway bar at full lock. Pretty stoked on how it turned out. Screwing in the fabric wheel liners and put a self tapping screw up and I to the bottom of my new agm battery. That sucked. Bought a new one to be safe. Old one was leaking from the hole. Did some sealing and a patch on it. Should be good but....

Truck should come with this tire size from the factory. Looks more proportionate if that makes sense.

Surprisingly the stock gears arent too horrible which is great as I will have to use them until summer ($). Have a few offroad trips planned before I will regear. Roaming Rally in Ontario in May then Moab for a couple of weeks in June.

Yo Deadly!! YetiGS from ADV. I wondered if you were the same guy. I happen to own one of the most amazing Dakar books ever written (it's even signed by Ned).

Your truck is amazing! I just got my Colorado Z71 and you've given me some great ideas of how,I'm going to spend stupid amounts of money on this truck, I mean piss my wife off. LOL

461 - 480 of 485 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.