Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about troubles with my 2018 GMC Canyon SLT CCSB over the last few months. Finally, on 5/21 I took delivery of my lemon law replacement vehicle, a 2020 GMC Canyon SLT CCSB. Throughout my entire process I never really found a lot of write ups advising other's how the process goes and what to expect. I figured I would share my experience and what I learned.

In April 2019 I purchased a brand new 2018 Canyon. Shortly after purchasing it I began hearing a whistling noise from the engine compartment randomly. After two trips to the dealership, the replicated the issue and replaced the water pump, solving that issue. I then developed the transmission shudder which was fixed with no further issues based on the service bulletin.

In November 2019 when the weather turned colder in the North East, I began having serious issues. Randomly with no rhyme or reason other than cold weather, when I would start the truck after it had sat for an extended period of time, I experienced a pop from the engine bay followed by a blinking CEL, solid service stabilitrak light and solid ABS light. The engine would run rough until it warmed up then all issues would go away. The dealership replaced a fuel line and coil pack and sent me on my way. Three weeks later the issue appeared again on a cold night after a cold start. Again, the issues went away after the engine warmed up. I took the vehicle to the dealership again and they ended up having it for 30+ days to tear the engine down to replace lifters and rockers. I got the vehicle back again and three weeks later I experienced everything again. I again dropped the vehicle off at the dealership and this is where my lemon law process starts. The dealership ultimately had the vehicle out of service for 70+ days between all repair attempts.

The first thing I did was contact GM Corporate to open a case when I had the second instance of the engine lights and rough idle. Due to the vehicle being in the shop for over 30 days (in Maryland that qualifies as a Lemon) I also contacted BBB to open a case. BBB was extremely helpful and easy to communicate with. The same day I contacted BBB, I also sent a letter to GM advising them of my issues and that I expect a replacement vehicle based on this vehicle qualifying as a lemon in my state. BBB then got the case escalated to another department within GM who then contacted me asking what my plans were with the truck. I advised them I loved the truck other than the reoccurring issue so I would be fine with a successful repair or a replacement.

A few weeks went by and GM contacted me advising they were sending a tech out to the dealership to attempt a final repair on the vehicle. That was unsuccessful and GM then contacted me with an offer in February 2020 for a vehicle replacement. Vehicle replacement is basically where you take your MSRP (NOT what you paid) and you pick out another GM brand vehicle with a similar MSRP. If the MSRP's match, its an even swap. If its lower or higher you either get money knocked off your loan or you pay the extra. They also gave me credit for my Line-X and window tint.

GM will then advise you to pick a dealership you would like to work with and find a vehicle on their lot. Here is where my experience got VERY frustrating. I picked a dealership that had a vast selection of Canyon All-Terrain's and picked one out. The sales person advised they were aware of the buyback process and would place a hold on the truck. I advised them that I would be giving my GM case agent the VIN number so they could start the paperwork for the swap. A couple of weeks later GM repurchase department contacted me and advised they were preparing the paperwork for the trade, but the dealership had sold the truck rather than holding it. I then picked out another one and started the process over again with GM repurchase division.

Then coronavirus hit and everything came to a standstill. After about 3 weeks, sometime in March GM repurchase department contacted me and advised we could go forward with the second attempt to trade vehicles. Again, the dealership had sold the truck in order to make money during the coronavirus since their sales were down.

I kept my cool, but told GM I would like to work with a different dealership. Due to that, GM repurchase department had to send my case back down to a different department which is the Alternative Dispute Resolution department. This department's communication was AWFUL. I ultimately began contacting them multiple times per day because they never reached out to me or returned my calls. I finally found a 2020 Canyon SLT CCSB and was able to get my case sent back up to the repurchase department for the third time. I found the truck in mid April and it took until May 21 for the entire process to end. On May 21 I was contacted by the dealership that all of the settlement documents were in and I could come complete the trade. This process was simple and basically identical to all of the paperwork that you complete when you purchase a new vehicle. I would note that they do inspect the vehicle you're trading for any modifications or major damage.

I know this was a longer write-up, but it just goes to show that the process is very long, but it will end. Some pointers I would give to somebody else going through the process would be:

Contact GM as soon as you begin noticing issues to get it documented
Research your state's lemon laws and if you think you have a lemon, contact BBB immediately
Send a certified letter to GM
Document all of your service visits
Keep ALL service records, BBB will need these
Advise GM and BBB of every issue you've had with the vehicle regardless if it has been previously fixed or not
Document all of your conversations/attempts at conversations with GM
Be persistant - if they dont call you back, keep calling. The squeaky wheel gets the grease
Be firm, but also patient. The process WILL take a long time
Keep receipts for all aftermarket accessories because if you try to get credit for them GM required receipts
Demand a loaner vehicle or rental vehicle. Your vehicle is under warranty and they should provide you with a vehicle to drive.
Follow up with the dealership to confirm that they are still holding your vehicle and make sure you provide the GM rep handling your case with the contact person at the dealership.

Hopefully this helps others. Below is the new truck. I truly believe these are good vehicles, but I just happened to get a bad seed.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Thank you for sharing, surely this be of help to someone!
Nice looking truck, I wish you much better luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well sounds like you waited almost a year to enjoy your new truck. Most people don't have the patience, or the understanding of the details needed and the process. Your post certainly might help someone. Thanks for the info and it is a good looking truck. (y)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for sharing the process, I’m going through the process myself with a 2018 ZR2. In my case a laundry list of problems. 5+ visits and 45+ days in shop and no solutions. My last drive in that truck was when I dropped off March 6 2020 for more warranty work. Service Director reached me March 25th to offer the buy back. Apparently the GM rep gave them the go ahead so he called to tell me about it. I have not gone to the BBB since they offered me this option themselves. GM rep emailed me asking for registration, copy of license, pay off loan etc. They also had me pick a replacement from the lot but it probably sold by now as it’s been a while. Would you recommend I go to the BBB as well or just work with them as it is? I have not been needy asking for updates or bugging the dealer. I figured covid-19 has slowed down processes so I have been patient cuz they also got me in a loaner, dealer updates me periodically, and I haven’t been driving much either due to working from home. I just hope it doesn’t take 6 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing the process, I’m going through the process myself with a 2018 ZR2. In my case a laundry list of problems. 5+ visits and 45+ days in shop and no solutions. My last drive in that truck was when I dropped off March 6 2020 for more warranty work. Service Director reached me March 25th to offer the buy back. Apparently the GM rep gave them the go ahead so he called to tell me about it. I have not gone to the BBB since they offered me this option themselves. GM rep emailed me asking for registration, copy of license, pay off loan etc. They also had me pick a replacement from the lot but it probably sold by now as it’s been a while. Would you recommend I go to the BBB as well or just work with them as it is? I have not been needy asking for updates or bugging the dealer. I figured covid-19 has slowed down processes so I have been patient cuz they also got me in a loaner, dealer updates me periodically, and I haven’t been driving much either due to working from home. I just hope it doesn’t take 6 months.
ZorroZr2 I got them involved because I had read in another forum that BBB was one of the first steps that person took, so I did the same.

That being said, since GM has already agreed to a replacement I don’t think BBB would be much more help to you unless GM balks on their offer later down the line. All BBB does is acts as an arbitrator to facilitate a settlement.

If it were me, since your dealership has really been helping you out I wouldn’t bug them like you said, but I would reach out to GM and they can look up your case and give you the contact information for the rep handling your case. I would call them at least once a week. In my experience the communication up until it went to the repurchase department was pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
cjerm22,
Really good post with details that support the entire process, so thank you!
Sounds like the coronavirus just threw another wrench into the bucket, which added
time to the whole resolution process. The Alternative Dispute Resolution Department was probably reassigned to making masks, ventilators, or just working from home remotely.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Can you share your problems with the ZR2?

·
Registered
189 Posts
A good dealership can arrange the replacement fast but most dealership frankly don’t do it either due to inexperience or policy

But in any other case BBB is extremely effective.

Both cases are actually not lemon law per se. More just deals GM does to avoid a real lemon law court case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you share your problems with the ZR2?
  • Trans shudder, multiple visits 3 flushes. 1st flush lasted 500 miles, 2nd flush lasted 3k miles and it came back. Drove 2k miles since last flush so can’t tell if it fixed it or would have came back.
  • Rear shocks leaking, one at 2000 one at 12k.
  • Alignment off from factory
  • Rear seat latch would not lock in place.
  • B-pillar rattle both sides, TSP made it worse and they could never fix.
  • Front seat was loose
  • Rear slide window rattled against bracket/ railing when open.
  • Water rushing behind dash. Replaced 1 coolant reservoir and came back.
  • Squeaky leaf springs at 1000 miles, shims replaced but also never fixed. Even after they cleaned and lubed them. I’m 5”10 185, me getting in or off the truck squeaked the leaf springs.
  • Service Stabilitrack came on a couple times and other codes, first time it went off before I got to dealer, 2nd time they didn’t find anything and cleared codes.
  • Rear passenger door on driver was not assembled right from factory, part of the interior door handle came off at one point. Arm rest screws not tight.
Lots of little things for the 9 months 15k miles I had it. When I would go in it was for multiple things per visit. Mostly highway miles, both times it was off road was after replacing shocks so looks like those were better QC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts