Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

this thread is about making sure i have all the right components so that everything is compatible. my goal is XM, Ipod video, bluetooth, and reverse camera. would this be EVERYTHING i need?

DNX7100

Garmin GXM 30 (XM antenna, NOT for nav, right? there is an antenna that comes with the dnx7100 i assume?)
http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-gxm-30-xm-smart-antenna/gxm30.htm

Ipod video cable (this will plug in to the newest generation ipod classics as well as the first gen. nanos?)
http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7046

Bluetooth kit (for cell phone)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UClvBVWfsOd/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=113BT100

As far as reverse cameras go, do i have to go the route of a kenwood camera? or do the cams use a standard connector? im wanting one of the ones that are a license plate border simply because its discreet and easy to install. Also, when picking a camera, what should i look for? it would be used at night too, so is there a such thing as night vision, or are the reverse lights good enough to light the immediate area?

i am not going to be using a changer, because i can burn DVDs with 4+GB of songs on them, and thats lots for me. plus the ipod cable, 80GB there.

any other neat accessories worth mentioning?

i doubt ill be able to use my factory antenna for anything right? i have factory onstar and XM.

Thanks a ton you guys!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm actually also kind of interested in a response about this, mainly for the XM part. I've got the factory onstar and XM as well, and was wondering about the factory antenna. 250$ USD is a bit insane for an antenna, I would think.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
The $250 GXM30 does more than just XM. It also give you XM NavTraffic with traffic reports and warnings and weather with forecasts and current conditions.

If you want just XM, you can get the XMD1000Terk XM Direct Universal XM Satellite Radio Tuner & XMDKEN100 Kenwood adapter. Someone here has a way to connect the Terk to the factory antenna.

Otherwise, that's everything you need. Any camera will work so long as it has the RCA video connector.

BTW, you can find the GXM30 and BT100 for alot less on ebay.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, the links were merely to show the product, i don't necessarily want to buy from them.

i will look into the terk, i have seen them but haven't looked into them. navtraffic isn't available in my area (only Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal) so i don't need it. also if i can use the factory antenna, that would be killer! i hope who ever has done that chimes in sometime. im sure it was straight forward tho.

Thanks DB! congrats on TOTY btw!

·
Banned
433 Posts
another feature is you can have motorized amp racks controlled by the 7100. its a great hu and you will love it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh really chnky? what is the feature called? id like to look more into it. not that i would use it for an amp rack, im sure it could be adapted for what ever i wanted to do.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looks like i may have finally grown the pair lol. im gonna be ordering the dnx7100, xm (provided i can find a place with the XMD1000T in stock!), blue tooth, ipod video cable, and reverse cam.

looking at the boyo vtl300, just gotta make sure our Canadian plates are the same size as yours
http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl300.html

looks very discreet and i have read nothing but great reviews about them.
whats more natural, a reversed image or non reversed?

one last thing. how does the HU know when the vehicles in reverse? ill have to wire something up eh?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Shorty2301 said:
Thanks DB! congrats on TOTY btw!
Thanks Bro!

Shorty2301 said:
Well, looks like i may have finally grown the pair lol. im gonna be ordering the dnx7100, xm (provided i can find a place with the XMD1000T in stock!), blue tooth, ipod video cable, and reverse cam.

looking at the boyo vtl300, just gotta make sure our Canadian plates are the same size as yours
http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl300.html

looks very discreet and i have read nothing but great reviews about them.
whats more natural, a reversed image or non reversed?

one last thing. how does the HU know when the vehicles in reverse? ill have to wire something up eh?
The Boyo is a nice unit. I believe Belizeanlow has it on his Belize plates :D

I set my camera image to mirror. It's much easier to comprehend the image that way for me. It's like using the rear view mirror.

There is a dark brown (if I'm remembering correctly) that is for the reverse wire. I used the Metra GMOS01 OnStar/HU interface and all the wires for hook-up were already there including the park and reverse wires.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICE! i have the GMOS01, do you recall what wires they were? or are they labeled in the instructions?

Time for me to get everything ordered!

Thanks so much you guys!

·
Banned
433 Posts
Shorty2301 said:
oh really chnky? what is the feature called? id like to look more into it. not that i would use it for an amp rack, im sure it could be adapted for what ever i wanted to do.
External Switch Terminals: Connect Up To 2 Optional Relays To Control External Devices Such As Rear Monitors, Neon Lighting Or Motorization

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Shorty2301 said:
NICE! i have the GMOS01, do you recall what wires they were? or are they labeled in the instructions?

Time for me to get everything ordered!

Thanks so much you guys!
They are labeled on the wires. Real simple hook-up with the GMOS01

chnky18 said:
Shorty2301 said:
External Switch Terminals: Connect Up To 2 Optional Relays To Control External Devices Such As Rear Monitors, Neon Lighting Or Motorization
I used one of mine to run a relay for the park ground. That way with the relay off, the HU operates like normal and shows a blue screen when I take the truck out of park. With the switch activated and the relay on, DVDs and ipod videos or A/V input will show on the screen while out of park. I did it like that because the code enforcement cops out here know to check for switches and they want to see the picture disappear when you take the vehicle out of park :evil:

·
Banned
433 Posts
wow db glad i dont have to worry about that stuff in texas.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Yeah, we have a special code enforcement task force just because of the street racers. If they hear a loud exhaust, they will pull you over and will go over your car with a fine tooth comb. If they find enough evidence to show that your car is set up for racing or you have a bunch of illegal parts for street use, they will impound the car. I watched 5 officers comb through an Acura RSX. One cop had the code book out, another had a note pad and the other 3 were under the hood and inside the car. Needless to say they impounded the car. They used to just concentrate on the ricers and racer but recently started in on the lowered and lifted trucks. I got popped for tinted windows and tail lights last summer :(

·
Banned
433 Posts
DBNissan said:
Yeah, we have a special code enforcement task force just because of the street racers. If they hear a loud exhaust, they will pull you over and will go over your car with a fine tooth comb. If they find enough evidence to show that your car is set up for racing or you have a bunch of illegal parts for street use, they will impound the car. I watched 5 officers comb through an Acura RSX. One cop had the code book out, another had a note pad and the other 3 were under the hood and inside the car. Needless to say they impounded the car. They used to just concentrate on the ricers and racer but recently started in on the lowered and lifted trucks. I got popped for tinted windows and tail lights last summer :(
HOLY ****...that crazy. so its illegal to have loud exhaust? thats such bull. were your windows too dark? what was the issue with the tail lights?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
The exhaust can only be so loud. once it louder than a certain db they will pull you over. In Cali it's illegal to have tint on the windows from the front seats forward. I had 35% on the front doors and my tail lights are smoked.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow DB, that sucks about the ricer cops!

you wouldnt happen to have a rough schematic of the park brake relay would you?

i just finished looking at the info on the GMOS01 and says theres a VSS wire, reverse and some other wire. what does VSS stand for?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor

Look at the diagram below for the SPDT relay

Use these connections:

86 = Ext SW from DNX7100
87 = Ground
87a = PRK wire from GMOS01
85 = Ground
30 = PRK wire from DNX7100

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very much appreciated DB! it wasn't just the truck (not saying it isnt killer) that got you the TOTY, it's also the valuable information you give to everyone.

and to activate that. its a setting on the HU, correct? is it fast to get to? say if a guy were to get pulled over, would he be able to quickly switch it so the park brake works as its supposed to?

EDIT: everythigns ordered! dnx7100, terk xm universal and kenwood adapter, ipod video cable, bluetooth and the boyo vtl300. ~1400 bucks total (before brokerage charges at the damn door with stupid UPS :evil: ).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Shorty2301 said:
very much appreciated DB! it wasn't just the truck (not saying it isnt killer) that got you the TOTY, it's also the valuable information you give to everyone.

and to activate that. its a setting on the HU, correct? is it fast to get to? say if a guy were to get pulled over, would he be able to quickly switch it so the park brake works as its supposed to?

EDIT: everythigns ordered! dnx7100, terk xm universal and kenwood adapter, ipod video cable, bluetooth and the boyo vtl300. ~1400 bucks total (before brokerage charges at the /forum/images/smiles/censored.gif door with stupid UPS :evil: ).
So you figured out the way to use the stock antenna with the 7100? If I buy the HU and the terk universal, will a car audio place hook it up as such?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i haven't found a way. DB said some guys knows how. i think i will fiddle and try to figure it out if he doesn't chime in. or maybe another thread if i cant figure it out. the less antennas i have, the cleaner my truck is. the cleaner my truck is, the happier i am!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts