Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the very beginnings of my build log.

I'm coming from an '01 Tacoma with a full long travel setup and an '06 4runner to this.

A 2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 short bed.

Just picked her up over memorial weekend and I couldn't be any more excited. My overall long, long term goal is to have a capable trail rig that I daily drive.

As of 04/22/20:

Current modifications:

Suspension:

Fox 2.5 factory series coilovers with DSC adjusters (not installed yet, will replace RC level kit)
Rough Country 2" leveling kit
Icon Vehicle Dynamics 1" rear lift blocks
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

Wheel/Tire Setup:
Icon Vehicle Dynamics Rebound 17x8.5 0mm offset in bronze
Milestar Patagonia MT 265/70R17 (trimming was required)

Metal Work:
DV8 front stealth bumper
DV8 front skid plate
ZR2 engine skid plate
ZR2 transfer case skid plate
AEV exhaust crossover skid
Go Rhino dominator DSS sliders
589 Fabrication ultimate shock skids

Performance:
K&N drop in air filter

Recovery:
Smittybilt X20 Comp 10K Winch
Smittybilt snatch block
Deadman Off-road land anchor
TGL tree saver strap
Xbull 20' tow strap
multiple shackles
Noco GB40 jump pack

On board air:
Smittybilt 2781 air compressor
Boulder Tools Pro deflator kit

Lighting:
Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights (Amber)
Rigid Industries D Series Pro ditch lights (White flood)
CBI Off Road ditch light brackets
OPT 7 LED fluxbeam headlights (low beam)

Storage:
Craftsman Aluminum low-profile bed box
One Tigris MOLLE seat back organizer

Communication:
Garmin InReach SE+
Midland GMRS handheld x2
iPhone XS Max

On Board Diagnostics:
OBDLink MX+ Scanner

Misc:
Removed front air dam
Weathertech floor mats

Future modifications/needs:
Camburg uni-ball upper control arms

Current measurements:

Front: (taken from ground through center of wheel to fender)
36 7/8 inches

Rear:
37 7/8 inches

Tow Hitch:
17 1/2 inches

Rear bumper steps:
20 inches

Added weather tech floor mats and the OPT7 LED Fluxbeam headlights.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got around to doing my first real mod, and a mandatory one in my opinion.

Removed the air dam, did it with bumper on in about a half hour. It's amazing what such a little mod can do to the appearance of these trucks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Nice, you're off to a great start. That air dam looks like a snow-blade under there...much better without. Plan on removing mine when I do the lift.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Sounds like a good plan!

Don't get caught up in the RTT hype. For your current needs a ground tent will work great. I highly recomend the REI Camp Dreamer mattress. It's part air part memory foam and a lot more comfortable than the Exped DUO everyone raves about. I layed on both at the store. Wait till the Camper Dreamer goes on sale. We just picked one up for $179 a few weeks ago.

https://www.rei.com/product/149002/rei-co-op-camp-dreamer-double-self-inflating-deluxe-bed?CAWELAID=120217890006150161&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320809120&CATCI=pla-550687425285&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_1050518039|1490020001|none|_kenshoo_clickid_|pla-550687425285&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_1050518039|1490020001|none|_kenshoo_clickid_&kclid=_kenshoo_clickid_&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ZfoBRB4EiwASUMdYWL_cCSx3PeZ9BVs02UGF7E5JxPIXO-rIx8xf4O06gaDec8p9ui3SBoCqIwQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds like a good plan!

Don't get caught up in the RTT hype. For your current needs a ground tent will work great. I highly recomend the REI Camp Dreamer mattress. It's part air part memory foam and a lot more comfortable than the Exped DUO everyone raves about. I layed on both at the store. Wait till the Camper Dreamer goes on sale. We just picked one up for $179 a few weeks ago.

https://www.rei.com/product/149002/rei-co-op-camp-dreamer-double-self-inflating-deluxe-bed?CAWELAID=120217890006150161&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320809120&CATCI=pla-550687425285&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_1050518039|1490020001|none|_kenshoo_clickid_|pla-550687425285&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_1050518039|1490020001|none|_kenshoo_clickid_&kclid=_kenshoo_clickid_&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ZfoBRB4EiwASUMdYWL_cCSx3PeZ9BVs02UGF7E5JxPIXO-rIx8xf4O06gaDec8p9ui3SBoCqIwQAvD_BwE
Yeah no RTT for me, mainly because I don't want a rack on the truck. I've ground tented for years and it's been perfectly fine for me. thanks for the heads up on the mattress, looks like a solid option!

Plus, all my RTT money is wrapped up in my firearms haha.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small update,

Rough Country 2" leveling kit is purchased along with the Icon 1" rear blocks.

Looking to replace the rear shocks as well. Bilstein 5100's have my interest.

Won't be installing the lift until I pull the trigger on wheels and tires which may be closer to the end of the year.

Will be looking to eventually replace the leveling kit with coilovers buts that's not on the horizon just yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Little by little. :)

Reactions: BobJob42

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lift kit parts are now in hand, just waiting on rear shocks, wheels and tires.

As for tires, I think im pretty set on going with the Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's in 265/70R17.

Wheels is a whole other story haha, really like the DV8 wheels but if my budget allows, I also really love the Icon Rebound. Choices....:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
You can install that stuff now and do the shocks when they get here. :)

Just remember! Install one lift block at a time. Do not unbolt both leaf springs at the same time. lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can install that stuff now and do the shocks when they get here. :)

Just remember! Install one lift block at a time. Do not unbolt both leaf springs at the same time. lol
my excitement will likely get the best of me and that may be what happens:LOL:, Ive done blocks before but thanks for the heads up, its much appreciated!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was a bit bored tonight so I threw on my Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. OEMs were toast, 53K on them and the 5100 makes a world of difference.

Going to ride the OEM front struts until I absolutely have to replace them and swap them for a set of Fox coilovers.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Yeah the rears don't last very long at all. I'm curious to see how long my Icon 2.0s last. OEMs were shot at 50k on my 16 Canyon.

Reactions: BobJob42

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the rears don't last very long at all. I'm curious to see how long my Icon 2.0s last. OEMs were shot at 50k on my 16 Canyon.
I could collapse them down by hand with almost no pressure. Glad I swapped them out. front still feels great so hopefully i can get a bit more life before I go coilovers. have other things to upgrade first haha

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Looks like a beautiful area!

And if you were driving on dirt or rocks then you were off-road. Just because it wasn't gnarly doesn't make it any less cool. ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a beautiful area!

And if you were driving on dirt or rocks then you were off-road. Just because it wasn't gnarly doesn't make it any less cool. ?
Yeah it really is a great spot, only about an hour and a half from Fresno. It was def off road haha, it was easy but it required 4x4 for sure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Things are happening! Wheels and tires have been purchased. I will be installing my leveling kit and rear blocks this week. Tires to be installed next Saturday. Lots of photos to come and maybe will answer a lot of questions about a specific tire for our trucks! stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 201 Posts