Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd start a thread to show a ZR2 I've been building to help me get to places. I'm an astrophotography enthusiast and I need to get to VERY dark places to take my pictures. This truck combines my passion for my hobby and for getting lost in trails.

Modifications (2019 Colorado ZR2 Gasoline):
- BDS 4" suspension lift installed at Roco 4x4, in Miami, FL;
- Leitner Active Cargo System with GearPod XL for my astro equipment (including a 8" Newtonian Telescope);
- Maxtrax mounted on Gearpod;
- Maxxis 34" M/T tires on Black Rhino Chase 17x9.0 6/120 wheels (no spacers) OR factory Duratrac 31" on factory wheels running without spacers either (I use the factory set for city and highway and the 34"s for trails);
- Rotopax fuel and water tanks;
- Amazon LED light bar;
- Amazon LED lateral spot lights;
- Red LED lights in the bed to enhance night pictures;
- Two inverters, one supplying the cabin and another supplying the bed with an outlet in the rear bumper;
- 12V socket mounted on the Leitner rack;
- CB radio with antenna mounted on the Leitner rack;
- N-Fab rails and steps;`
- Hi-Lift Jack attached to the bed with cable ties;
- Trimming of the plastic fender rims behind the front wheels.

Hope you like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
You win best 1st post. :grin2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wonderful. I'm an astrophotography enthusiast as well. I immediately looked on your list for red LED lighting. I used to shoot with a fully manual pentax k1000 and a celestron C8. What photography equipment do you use?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonderful. I'm an astrophotography enthusiast as well. I immediately looked on your list for red LED lighting. I used to shoot with a fully manual pentax k1000 and a celestron C8. What photography equipment do you use?
Hi Burl! I usually use a Canon 6D with a wide-angle Rokinon lens (14mm, f/2.8 ). I modified that Canon by getting the IR/UV filter removed from the sensor, which renders the camera practically useless for day pictures. For deep sky photography, I use an Orion Astrograph 8".

·
Registered
94 Posts
As someone else who enjoys shooting nightscapes. I am jealous of no only your rig but of the places you have been to shoot. Great stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thought I'd start a thread to show a ZR2 I've been building to help me get to places. I'm an astrophotography enthusiast and I need to get to VERY dark places to take my pictures. This truck combines my passion for my hobby and for getting lost in trails.

Modifications (2019 Colorado ZR2 Gasoline):

- BDS 4" suspension lift installed at Roco 4x4, in Miami, FL;

- Leitner Active Cargo System with GearPod XL for my astro equipment (including a 8" Newtonian Telescope);

- Maxtrax mounted on Gearpod;

- Maxxis 34" M/T tires on Black Rhino Chase 17x9.0 6/120 wheels (no spacers) OR factory Duratrac 31" on factory wheels running without spacers either (I used the factory set for city and highway and the 34"s for trails);

- Rotopax fuel and water tanks;

- Amazon LED light bar;

- Amazon LED lateral spot lights;

- Red LED lights in the bed to enhance night pictures;

- Two inverters, one supplying the cabin and another supplying the bed with an outlet in the rear bumper;

- 12V socket mounted on the Leitner rack;

- CB radio with antenna mounted on the Leitner rack;

- N-Fab rails and steps;`

- Hi-Lift Jack attached to the bed with cable ties;

- Trimming of the plastic fender rims behind the front wheels.

Hope you like it!
Nice rig and pics! Loved to see some more of your night pics with the truck in it. Thanks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice rig and pics! Loved to see some more of your night pics with the truck in it. Thanks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I'll post more, but night pics are much harder to take. For instance, these days have been prohibitive because of the full moon. There are just too many variables to deal with. Living in Florida, far from really dark skies, is another. For now, I'm using the truck to scout new places, but it might take me a year or more to return to those places at the right time for a great picture.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll post more, but night pics are much harder to take. For instance, these days have been prohibitive because of the full moon. There are just too many variables to deal with. Living in Florida, far from really dark skies, is another. For now, I'm using the truck to scout new places, but it might take me a year or more to return to those places at the right time for a great picture.
Head down to Card Sound Bridge, I remember seeing insane skies there back in the 80's. One night on the way to Key West stopped for a smoke on my bike and was in the presence of some of the coolest most impressive views I have ever seen. Yes It was like 2am and nobody but me was on the road, shooting stars galore, life Rolodex memory moment for sure....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Head down to Card Sound Bridge, I remember seeing insane skies there back in the 80's. One night on the way to Key West stopped for a smoke on my bike and was in the presence of some of the coolest most impressive views I have ever seen. Yes It was like 2am and nobody but me was on the road, shooting stars galore, life Rolodex memory moment for sure....
Hey Henry, that's a great spot indeed! I took these pictures right there before the ZR2! Shining on the water is Venus.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
21 Participants
DuhKoDuh
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing