Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Well, have not posted in awhile since I have not made any more changes...

Came today to search on tires issues... mine are loud as heck. Need to see what mileage folks are getting from the stock fitted tires... might be time to replace mine. But only 25K miles on them and they still look good... just loud as sh**** :oops:

Reactions: TunaFresh

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have you checked to see if they are wearing properly? If I remember correctly the Duratracs were quieter than the BFG KO2's I have on now. I'm wondering if they might be out of balance or alignment.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Have you checked to see if they are wearing properly? If I remember correctly the Duratracs were quieter than the BFG KO2's I have on now. I'm wondering if they might be out of balance or alignment.
That is the weird thing... they are wearing fine... and I even had the truck aligned last time I was at the dealer...

I will rotate them this weekend. But man, loud... not kidding. Cousin and a friend have KO2 on their rides and those are much quieter than these Duratracs.

If your experience was different, then I am at a loss... I will have the dealer check alignment again just to make sure it is still within spec. And might as well have them do the balancing and rotation for me (I was going to rotate them myself...)

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
The other thing that I have noticed is that they are not that great in the wet...

I do have to admit that I have not had a chance to take the truck off-road... Currently just using as daily driver and putting a lot of highway miles. I should probably consider another tire that is more aligned with the way I am using the truck...

But call me vain, I just love the aggressive look of these tires. So if I go with something more appropriate for highway driving (70-80 mph on average), I will be giving up looks. Plus I still have plans to go off-road and camping.

Sorry for all the rambling... just thinking out loud and writing what goes through my brain right now...

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Still thinking out loud... what I should do is get a set of ZR2 wheels and slap some Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (or even a highway all-season tire) and put away the Duratracs for when I actually have the time to go off-roading/camping in this truck...

Dumass, should have done that a long time ago... duh!

·
Registered
659 Posts
The other thing that I have noticed is that they are not that great in the wet...

I do have to admit that I have not had a chance to take the truck off-road... Currently just using as daily driver and putting a lot of highway miles. I should probably consider another tire that is more aligned with the way I am using the truck...

But call me vain, I just love the aggressive look of these tires. So if I go with something more appropriate for highway driving (70-80 mph on average), I will be giving up looks. Plus I still have plans to go off-road and camping.

Sorry for all the rambling... just thinking out loud and writing what goes through my brain right now...
Glad you are back & doing well!

I went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler’s and have had them for ~ 16k miles, they have exceeded my expectations in all aspects. I went up 1 size from OEM, but they have it in OEM size also. The only thing I might have done differently is go with the SL rather than the E rated - and that is a big maybe as I am more than pleased with the E’s. The E’s are heavier than OEM by ~ 10 lbs, but the Diesel doesn’t notice it. I’m still getting about 25 mpg in combined driving, and that is with a RTT (wind drag), steel drive shaft and 54 lb E tires.

They are quiet (important to me due to time on the highway, don’t need any droning to put me to sleep), great grip in wet, dry, on and off road, snow, rocky and sandy soil. Seat of the pants I am convinced they stop better than the Duratracs (which I changed out at ~ 5k miles). I’ve driven in some very intense rain and the grip is impressive.
They are very good at not retaining small rocks, and also good about not throwing them at drivers in the back!

When I was out with these guys they often had to make two or three attempts using larger tires, aired down. I barely aired down, like 5 psi from street pressure and the Bison on Nitto’s made it so easy I wanted to go back and try more challenging lines.

7160F49C-EAC3-4E9B-A0F2-E2B9B2753F2D.jpeg E8C2A56B-0344-44D3-9215-F472750808A7.jpeg

The tracks in the snow were only mine - entering and leaving. What this pic doesn’t show is that I live in a hilly city - the tires and truck made it so easy.

234670A1-DA9F-4DF3-8C6D-D2A511CD5F1A.jpeg 0CC1B1F7-7C3D-4069-8FB3-FD2E939ED948.jpeg

I don’t have any stock in Nitto and don’t work for them, no kick backs, no nadda! ;)

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
644 Posts
I have the Ridge Grapplers in E on my 4Runner. They put the hurt on my gas mileage but when they wore out I put a second set on because they're such awesome tires. If they made Ridge Grapplers in a C load, I would have bought them for my Colorado. Instead I went with KO2's in C.

Nitto, if you're listening, make the Ridge Grapplers in C load in the popular sizes and you'll have a winner!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Well... I let an impulse buy take a hold of me... Local ZR2 owner had 2021 take-offs... bought them at a fair price just now. For a little bit less than the price of a new set of Duratrac I got an extra set of wheels with centers, sensors, and lug nuts.... and being off a 2021, not a bad deal...

I will remove these and keep them for when I can go off-roading/camping. Then install the new ones and replace those tires with more highway friendly tires when the time comes...

Reactions: 93Duc and Y E T I

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Now to search on how to reset the wheel's sensors with the new ones...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Any luck locating a suitable mudflap?
Nope... and I never followed up with AEV to see if they were coming out with one...

EDIT: I just checked the AEV site and what they have only works with their fender flare... so no such luck...

Reactions: TimmyG

·
Registered
401 Posts
Now to search on how to reset the wheel's sensors with the new ones...
$12 TPMS reprogram tool off of Amazon.

Takes about 90 seconds to do. Turn on truck, switch to tire pressure screen, press and hold ok button until horn beeps once and shows "learning mode" message on the dash.

Start with drivers side front tire and hold the tpms tool up against the sidewall right by the valve stem and press and hold the button until the horn chirps. Next do passenger front, pass rear, and finally driver rear. Horn should beep like 3-5 times when you're done.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 93Duc and wachuko

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
$12 TPMS reprogram tool off of Amazon.

Takes about 90 seconds to do. Turn on truck, switch to tire pressure screen, press and hold ok button until horn beeps once and shows "learning mode" message on the dash.

Start with drivers side front tire and hold the tpms tool up against the sidewall right by the valve stem and press and hold the button until the horn chirps. Next do passenger front, pass rear, and finally driver rear. Horn should beep like 3-5 times when you're done.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Excellent!! Thank you!! Ordered. Should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Excellent!! Thank you!! Ordered. Should be here tomorrow.
The review section of that TPMS relearn tool actually has a video of a dude relearning the wheels/tires on his ZR2. He seems kinda annoyed at his dealer, but the information seems to be legit. Lol

Interestingly enough, the lights on the truck will actually tell you what tire to relearn next. I think I might order one of these too. My Discount Tire can’t seem to figure out our Colorado’s relearn procedure. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My experience with Duratracs is they were not good in the wet, even turning on the Auto 4H mode. With the KO2's I still turn on Auto 4H when it's wet out and the traction is great in the wet doing that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 · (Edited)
My experience with Duratracs is they were not good in the wet, even turning on the Auto 4H mode. With the KO2's I still turn on Auto 4H when it's wet out and the traction is great in the wet doing that.
I will try those next time… just to get it out of my system.

For now I am good. And the bonus is that I was able to get a set of extra wheels. I always liked the stock ZR2 wheels…. The Bison wheels are stronger for off-roading, but the stock ZR2 wheels look great.

Reactions: emulous74

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
The review section of that TPMS relearn tool actually has a video of a dude relearning the wheels/tires on his ZR2. He seems kinda annoyed at his dealer, but the information seems to be legit. Lol

Interestingly enough, the lights on the truck will actually tell you what tire to relearn next. I think I might order one of these too. My Discount Tire can’t seem to figure out our Colorado’s relearn procedure. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just watched the video. Does not get any easier than that! Cool!

Reactions: dsmithers

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Done! Only waiting for the tool to pair the sensors.

Used the AEV center caps and saved the Chevrolet center caps...

Reactions: Y E T I and 93Duc

·
Registered
659 Posts
Done! Only waiting for the tool to pair the sensors.

Used the AEV center caps and saved the Chevrolet center caps...

Looks great! Congrats on the great deal & amazing timing!

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
emulous74,

Looks like I need to take back what I wrote... Looking closely at the front tires, both were cupping/scalloping... not sure if the photos will show it, but here you go:

Reading on what can cause this:

• Suspension - If any part of the suspension is worn down or loose, the wheels can start to bounce, which causes tire cupping.
  • Tire Balance - When tires are not balanced properly, the wheel will begin to bounce, and the tire can start to lose its grip on the road. In this case, the scooping may not be as noticeable as the kind caused by a failing suspension, but patches will be evident.

Rear tires wear was perfect.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts