Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, how can you compare a sports car to a truck, right?

Well there are some things that we can compare, from my recent rental in Maui :

Door Pockets: Mustang had one long slot for door storage. It was too narrow to even lay a water bottle in, while capacity in fluid ounces was probably better, I didn't see much improvement in usefulness. Advantage, Canyon.

Stop/Start: Was really hoping this would have that feature, but did not. Wanted to see it in operation.

Rattles: Granted, this was a convertible, but had more rattles with 1100 miles on it than my Canyon with 63k Miles. Advantage, Canyon.

Keyless entry/Push Start: Push start was fine, since I was putting my key in a plastic bag to keep dry, was nice to have this feature, but it seemed to act up a bit on me. Not as user friendly as my wife's Nissan Rogue. I am note sure I ever locked the door on the car. I finally resorted to actually walking away from the car and pushing the button when I was a few feet away. It might have been that a prox sensor was noting that I was close enough to unlock, but seemed like sometimes it was unlocked when I approached, sometimes it remained locked. Advantage: Mustang, only cuz Canyon does not offer this option, if this was the best we could expect, I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Rear View Camera: Camera quality/display a little better than my truck, but......the glare on the screen was worse than my Canyon. Add in the fact of it's a convertible with the top down a lot, and therefore the glare is a bigger issue, so Advantage: Tie.

Powertrain performance: I never popped the hood, but I assume this had the 2.3 L Ecobust. No power what so ever. Tremendous lag when accelerating up the road to the volcano or on the Road to Hanna. (Yes, my wife and I drove the infamous Road to Hanna, also called the Road to Divorce, in the rain no less and survived.) Not sure if the hesitation and issues I had were turbo lag related, or transmission related. I felt they were more transmission related. (((Is this the engine slated for the Ranger, if so, the Twins should not have any worries.))) Advantage: My Canyon would have been a more suitable vehicle to take on these two drives. Cannot believe I am saying that.

Glovebox: Lockable on the Mustang. Advantage, Mustang.

DIC: Seemed like a pretty decent DIC, I know I saw one screen that showed multiple lines of information including a boost level. I can't really evaluate and compare the two systems, so no vote of an advantage here, but the DIC on this car seemed better than the one on my wife's Nissan.

Moon Roof/Sun Roof/Convertible: Okay, let's just say Advantage, Mustang.

General take on vehicles on the island and rentals:

- Most of the rentals on the island were 4 door Wranglers or Mustang Convertibles. After that, seemed like there were some Nissan cars for rent, pretty much the non-fun vehicles were non-descript cars that all look alike. Might have been some mini-vans and Tahoes in the mix.

- Tacoma trucks, various generations, were probably the most popular local vehicles.

- Surprised how few Ford trucks I saw, in full size, GM seemed to be most popular.

- Great number of 2nd gen Twins on the road. Saw more in the week we were there than I would have seen driving in the DFW area for the same week.

- If you got a truck, you probably got a bed rack on it. If you have a car, suv, van, you probably got a roof rack on it. Moped, you figured some way to haul your surf board, sail board, or paddle board.

- Saw an interesting item, maybe others have discussed on some of the bike hauling threads. I have seen the full tailgate blankets used to haul bikes with the wheels hanging over the tailgate. In Maui, saw a lot of trucks with a short "blanket, covered about 1/3 of the tailgate width, and probably 8" or so on the inside and outside of the tailgate, with straps to secure around the tailgate. Was used to protect the surf/sail/paddle board, as opposed to the full tailgate blankets designed to protect the tailgate. Shows where the natives' priorities were. Some might want to consider these in regards to protecting their precious plastic tailgate covers from damage.

- Some Tacoma drivers are extremely rude, almost ran some people off side of the cliff on Road to Hana. Most drivers are pretty friendly.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what you are saying is you missed DFW and your Canyon... haha
Canyon yes, DFW, No.

Ignoring the fact that the cheapest housing my wife located that was better than a shack was ~$1 million, and a job, my wife couldn't agree to move because of the 3 month pet quarantine. She could leave me, but the dogs are a game breaker. Otherwise, it was great.

(I really think that 70 & 80 degree days every day, beautiful oceans, beaches and cliff side views, etc. would get old after a while. )

On the other hand, traffic in Maui has increase tremendously since we were there 6 years ago and it was a nightmare a couple of afternoons. It isn't all a paradise island...

·
Registered
743 Posts
My younger boy is a senior at UH Manoa. He's mulling over staying there but not sure if Oahu is where he wants to be. He's gotten to visit the other islands so he has a good idea of how they are different. His four years of "that 70 & 80 degree days every day, beautiful oceans, beaches and cliff side views, etc. ..."hasn't deterred him from wanting to stay. His only obstacle will be getting a job that allows him to continue enduring all that hardship. Selfishly, I hope he comes back to the mainland because it isn't an easy trip to visit, even from California.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My younger boy is a senior at UH Manoa. He's mulling over staying there but not sure if Oahu is where he wants to be. He's gotten to visit the other islands so he has a good idea of how they are different. His four years of "that 70 & 80 degree days every day, beautiful oceans, beaches and cliff side views, etc. ..."hasn't deterred him from wanting to stay. His only obstacle will be getting a job that allows him to continue enduring all that hardship. Selfishly, I hope he comes back to the mainland because it isn't an easy trip to visit, even from California.
It was a 7 hour flight home with no leg room, poor service from flight attendants, and rough air so the seat belt sign was on the entire trip. You have to be at lest 2-3 hours closer from San Diego. But I agree. Not like me hopping in the old Canyon and driving over to Shreveport for the day. Air travel has become such a nuisance, the last time I flew was 6 years ago to Maui.

Every island is different, with different things to see. Probably the most interesting aspect is the differences even on one island. On Maui, you can be on a beach, walk a cliff, and stand on top of a mountain (volcano) and sail on a catamaran all in one day. The clerk where we checked in said they got snow on the volcano top a few days before we arrived.

I meant to make another point about the Twins and the islands. We like to say the Twins are "right sized" trucks. I think they would say the Twins are ISLAND SIZED. Perfect for the islands, especially when gasoline is just under $4 per gallon. Didn't pay attention to diesel.

For what it is worth for your son, I didn't see an island of beautiful maidens, mostly old money tourist.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice write up and comparison and I'll add a few of my notes on the Mustang vs the Colorado.

Longevity: The Mustang is approaching 200,000 miles, the top has been replaced once and runs like a charm. The Colorado has just turned 4,000 miles - at this point the winner is the Mustang.
Warranty: The Mustang had to go in once for warranty , the Colorado has been in once for also - Tie.
1/4 Mile: While the Colorado has some good speed, there would be nothing but tail lights in the distance from the Mustang - No doubt Mustang.
1/2 Mile: Just have a cold beer - the Colorado is still trying to get to the 1/4 mile mark.
Chick Magnet: While they draw different chicks - I have to say this is a Tie.
Fuel Mileage: The Mustang gets 18 on a good day, the Colorado 22 winter, 24 summer - Advantage Colorado.
Wet Weather: The Mustang sucks on wet roads, the Colorado, with the exception of Goodyears, does very good - Advantage Colorado
Snow: No discussion needed, the Mustang stays parked - I might be crazy, but not stupid.
Toys: The Mustang is all about ****'n & git'n (Headers, Exhaust, expensive engine build, etc) - The Colorado has a lot more toys available (running boards, tonneau covers, lights, etc) - Advantage Colorado.
Fun: They are in different worlds and each one is a lot of fun - Absolutely a Tie.

·
Registered
916 Posts
- Most of the rentals on the island were 4 door Wranglers or Mustang Convertibles. After that, seemed like there were some Nissan cars for rent, pretty much the non-fun vehicles were non-descript cars that all look alike. Might have been some mini-vans and Tahoes in the mix.
We were there for the first time last Oct. Had pretty good weather, too. We skipped over the Mustangs, Jeeps, and boring rental cars.

IMO, the truly best way to do the Road to Hana. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts