Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new GMC MultiPro tailgate is so awesome. I wonder if some aftermarket will make it for other truck owners and possibly a canyon version. So you think the 2019 GMC Canyon Denali will have this option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Seeing how this was a GM "inhouse" design, I'm pretty sure it's patented and GM would go after anyone trying to replicate it. During a video conference that rewarded the GM employee who came up with it. The overall design took almost a decade, but IMO it was worth it. I can't imagine GM keeping this specific to GMC vehicles for long. Let's hope the re-design for the Colorado/Canyon include it as an option or even as an accessory.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I doubt any aftermarket versions will happen. Looks like all electronic opening . Also would need a much heavier duty spring counter balance.

As for the twins, No. They don't even get popular less expensive options.

I am seeing the repair bill after someone thought the tailgate cargo flap was a step.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I doubt any aftermarket versions will happen. Looks like all electronic opening . Also would need a much heavier duty spring counter balance.

As for the twins, No. They don't even get popular less expensive options.

I am seeing the repair bill after someone thought the tailgate cargo flap was a step.
But the tailgate flap is a step, that is part of what makes this so neat.

I am thinking that a good portion of it is just mechanical, but will have to see.

I wonder how much that tailgate costs as opposed to the base tailgate.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
But the tailgate flap is a step, that is part of what makes this so neat.

I am thinking that a good portion of it is just mechanical, but will have to see.

I wonder how much that tailgate costs as opposed to the base tailgate.
Sucker better come with a factory hinge lock, cause that looks expensive.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Sucker better come with a factory hinge lock, cause that looks expensive.
No kidding.

Remember when a tailgate was a flap of steel, 2 chains to support weight, and it latched with a pin on each side of the tailgate?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeing how this was a GM "inhouse" design, I'm pretty sure it's patented and GM would go after anyone trying to replicate it. During a video conference that rewarded the GM employee who came up with it. The overall design took almost a decade, but IMO it was worth it. I can't imagine GM keeping this specific to GMC vehicles for long. Let's hope the re-design for the Colorado/Canyon include it as an option or even as an accessory.

Yea but a lot of companies get away with this kind of stuff all the time!!! Knock offs and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
It's just about the only full-size truck feature that interests me right now...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
No copies as GM has the rights.

I suppose it could pop up in the refresh when ever that happens. But it may be the next gen before it arrives too.

To make it practical cost wise it really needs to be on more than the number of a Canyon Denalis they are selling now.

The full size Denali volume alone helps cover the cost of the many items the Canyon Denali lacks.

I own one and only have seen 5 on the road in two years in my area.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I see the GMC all the time ... but I see more Colorados. This whole badge-engineering thing is asinine.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I see the GMC all the time ... but I see more Colorados. This whole badge-engineering thing is asinine.
No I see GMC Canyons all the time just 5 Denali models.

Actually the GMC line is much more added profit. The ATP is higher on the GMC line and it is even higher on the Denali line. These models are like printing money for GM.

I have owned both but I have generally been more a GMC owner over the Chevy. The added trim and styling has always attracted me more.

Even my wife now wants a GMC over the Chevy SUV models. It is her choice not mine. I told her you are the one driving it.

I also grew up with one of the head engineers for GMC in the family so it may have also got my attention.

There is no right or wrong just what appeals to the person paying the money. But GM would be foolish not to have GMC from a profit stand point and added retail dealers with Buick or Cadillac.

Heck I have one GMC Dealer here that is stand alone. GM wanted them to take on Buick and they refused. The manager there is a friend and they average $60,000 per unit sold per his claim. They move a ton of Yukons and full size Denali trucks so it sounds possible.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Actually the GMC line is much more added profit. The ATP is higher on the GMC line and it is even higher on the Denali line. These models are like printing money for GM.
Oh I agree it's good for the manufacturers, but badge-engineering sucks for the customer base. Although it doesn't suck nearly as much as the inflexible options packages.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Oh I agree it's good for the manufacturers, but badge-engineering sucks for the customer base. Although it doesn't suck nearly as much as the inflexible options packages.
To me it did not suck when I hated the styling of one model vs another.

The way that GM has it today they may use the same platform but they are at least diversifying the styling.

As for option packages it is just simple economics. It is more profitable to add packages vs individual items.

I generally go for the loaded model anyways as it tends to have better resale and is easier to move.

My HHR was an SS and sold for about twice what a LT would have sold for. Same in my GTP and SSEI. Plus I like the added features.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
To me it did not suck when I hated the styling of one model vs another.

The way that GM has it today they may use the same platform but they are at least diversifying the styling.

As for option packages it is just simple economics. It is more profitable to add packages vs individual items.

I generally go for the loaded model anyways as it tends to have better resale and is easier to move.

My HHR was an SS and sold for about twice what a LT would have sold for. Same in my GTP and SSEI. Plus I like the added features.
As a former manufacturing engineer, I get the packages thing. But sometimes, the options packaged together do not make sense.

- Without a power sliding window, how many people really wanted that manual sliding rear window? I bet that was at least a $50 adder to the truck price.

- Back in 1992, wife wanted a Honda, she wanted leather seats, but to get leather you had to buy the top of the line trim level. With that, you got a sun roof, that reduced the headroom by 2" and made the vehicle uncomfortable if not impossible for me to drive.So, we had to get the middle level trim package without leather.

- On my 2015 Canyon, I wanted factory leather, in order to get that with a few other standard items the Canyon had and the Colorado didn't have, I was stuck with 18" wheels. I would have rather had 17" wheels.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As a former manufacturing engineer, I get the packages thing. But sometimes, the options packaged together do not make sense.

- Without a power sliding window, how many people really wanted that manual sliding rear window? I bet that was at least a $50 adder to the truck price.

- Back in 1992, wife wanted a Honda, she wanted leather seats, but to get leather you had to buy the top of the line trim level. With that, you got a sun roof, that reduced the headroom by 2" and made the vehicle uncomfortable if not impossible for me to drive.So, we had to get the middle level trim package without leather.

- On my 2015 Canyon, I wanted factory leather, in order to get that with a few other standard items the Canyon had and the Colorado didn't have, I was stuck with 18" wheels. I would have rather had 17" wheels.
Absolutely agree on the manual slider, but I would not have hesitated to spend $100 on a power sliding window.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Well with limitations you have to shoot for the middle.

As for the rear window yes you would think. But I would have been happier with a solid window but it is what it is I am not going to get hung up on a small details as the complete package is enough to make me very happy.

Like many things today you have to judge by the whole package not the details anymore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My last truck was a Canyon because I preffered the look of it over the gen1 Colorado. Options and trim level were not really a deciding factor between the two. This time around I preferred the look of the Colorado and I didn't even look at the trim levels or pricing of the Canyon. I am however very satisfied with the trim on the Z71.
Yes. I got the manual sliding window. When I am driving the truck solo it is a pretty moot point but when I have my kids in the back (the whole reason I bought a Crew) it's no problem. I also use it when I stop by at the hardware store and buy 10+ foot trim and lumber. I didn't have a rear window on the last truck and it frustrated me, glad for the upgrade manual or not.
As for the tailgate this thread is actually about, that would be a really nice option. Also would be nice to show my Uncle that it isn't only Fords that have cool tailgates!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The GMC gate crushes the Ford gate in so many ways.

I expect the Denali will hold tights here for a while but in time all GM trucks will either have it as an option or standard depending on the level of trim.

The composite bed will be standard and optional in time too if it works out well and cost continue to drop.

It is like anti lock brakes only the top level vehicles got them first then they went optional and finally standard.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Absolutely agree on the manual slider, but I would not have hesitated to spend $100 on a power sliding window.

I loved the power slider in my last truck and would have gladly paid more for it in this one, but what I would really love would be a standard window that was powered up and down like old station wagons used to have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts