Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Colorado LT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello gang,
I was driving home on the freeway and the car tripped and ABS Fault code along the dash. The car shut down, ABS light went on, check engine light went on, red car lock light went on, and brake light, but then started up again. All this happened while driving so i was still at freeway speed. Drove a few seconds then did the same thing, but did not come back on. I pulled to the side of the road, but the truck would not start up again. it would click, but no starter action at all. the car got power, but simply would not start.

i got towed home where i put the OBD2 on it, which lead to multiple codes.

C0055 -wheel speed sensor malfunction (on both wheels)

C0201 - abs enable relay contact circuit malfunction

C0899 - device #1 voltage low

U1064 - lost Communication with body multiple control unit.

i have a 2008 colorado LT 2wd, unmodified.

So far i put in a brand new battery, checked the EBCM ground to the body, cleaned that put on a little dialectic grease, and reconnected. Inspected the wiring harness in the immediate area and found that it was clean and dry. I disconnected the wiring on the EBCM side and checked for corrosion, but that was also clean. I put a little dialectic grease on the pins and reconnected. I live in a mild climate with no snow, so corrosion is not very big of an issue here. It is close to the ocean, but I have never had rust problems

As of now the car still won’t start. Based on the multiple codes, I am trying to take another logical approach. It seems like it would be the module for the brakes, as both sensors at the wheels are registering bad. I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone had a similar problem. Any insight is welcomed.

thanks in advance
The DM

·
Registered
2008 Colorado LT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

I found some more codes that were related to the airbag. (B0065, B0066, B0092) My guess is that a wire related to that is messed up, causing the pass lock. I have been chasing electrical charge for the last days with what time i have. I’ll continue to update as i find out more.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
On the 1st Gen trucks, grounds were a major issue. There are multiple grounds as I understand, one of the 1st Gen owners may be able to help.

·
Registered
2008 Colorado LT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the 1st Gen trucks, grounds were a major issue. There are multiple grounds as I understand, one of the 1st Gen owners may be able to help.
update #2: i decided to have the truck taken to the shop. i had explained the situation to them, along with a print out of all the codes and problems. they called me back a couple hours later to tell me i needed to put in a new started and that it was a 5 hour job (manifold removal). needless to say, i am having it towed BACK home today. i will just bite the bullet and go through all the ground points. time to search the archives for diagrams!

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
update #2: i decided to have the truck taken to the shop. i had explained the situation to them, along with a print out of all the codes and problems. they called me back a couple hours later to tell me i needed to put in a new started and that it was a 5 hour job (manifold removal). needless to say, i am having it towed BACK home today. i will just bite the bullet and go through all the ground points. time to search the archives for diagrams!
Check out these threads for some background perhaps?

·
Registered
2008 Colorado LT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out these threads for some background perhaps?

Thanks! Will do!

·
Registered
2008 Colorado LT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: After getting the truck towed home from the shop, i decided to investigate the starter situation. I had someone turn the ignition while i hit the starter from the side and the car started right up. the ABS FAULT was no longer lighting up the dash. turned the car off, then back on, and the car would not start. i decided to play it safe and just replace the starter. I took the starter out through the side method (taking off driver's side tire). i brought it to the auto shop and it bench tested as fine, but i figured since i was already this deep into the game, i might as well replace the entire starter and have peace of mind. i had taken off a few wires (including some grounds) in order to access the starter. i cleaned those up and used dialectic grease when putting them back on. i also took the 3 grounds off that run to the bottom drivers side of the engine from the wiring harness, cleaned them, and replaced them with dialectic grease. i did the same for the engine to body ground on that side. Car started right up, no problem. i test drove the truck about 7 miles and so far nothing has gone on. i will plug the OBDII sensor back up tomorrow and see what codes , if any, come out, but it seems that by doing the starter, and by cleaning up ground connections in the process, i am in the clear.

thanks everyone for the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts