Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all, first time on here I got a 2019 Chevrolet Colorado redline, which I love so far, I was wondering about getting a more comfortable ride with it, was just thinking could I put the Multimatic struts on my truck, would it make the truck ride more smoothly, or would it not work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome aboard! Let me start by saying that "smooth" is a very personal description. Some folks, like myself, feel that smooth should be like a boat, where you don't feel anything transfer into the truck. Others think smooth is a firm, collected ride with good road feedback (racecar). The Multimatics are the latter.

With that said, the front set of Multimatics are specifically made for the larger front control arms of the ZR2 option. Without going into too much detail, the struts will NOT fit a standard Colorado without swapping a bunch of ZR2 parts onto your truck.

The rear is direct a bolt on.

There are plenty of aftermarket setups that could provide your desired "smoothness". Accutune has shock tuning services that could personalize one of their 2.5" body shock packages to your liking. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard! Let me start by saying that "smooth" is a very personal description. Some folks, like myself, feel that smooth should be like a boat, where you don't feel anything transfer into the truck. Others think smooth is a firm, collected ride with good road feedback (racecar). The Multimatics are the latter.

With that said, the front set of Multimatics are specifically made for the larger front control arms of the ZR2 option. Without going into too much detail, the struts will NOT fit a standard Colorado without swapping a bunch of ZR2 parts onto your truck.

The rear is direct a bolt on.

There are plenty of aftermarket setups that could provide your desired "smoothness". Accutune has shock tuning services that could personalize one of their 2.5" body shock packages to your liking. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
ok thanks for the fast response, I should further explain my smooth thinking is if you every rode in a ford raptor with there fox shocks going over speed bumps lol (I work at a ford dealership but I drive a chevy lol XD), but anyways I was thinking of something along that line. Something that will not be affected by small potholes. I found out that my truck can fit 275/65 R18 on there and it helps but I thinking little more. do you have any recommendations that would be appreciated

·
Registered
351 Posts
Gonna kinda echo 568ta in response to your clarification. A boaty suspension will transmit energy from the impact over a longer distance, and will oscillate a time or two before settling down. The Multimatics will transmit the impact more rapidly, but you'll feel it the one time only. Both tires are going to go into the pothole and impact the far side the same amount. The body will move accordingly at the initiation of both impacts the same amount as well.

If you want the boaty ride, you'll want tires with the maximum sidewall you can fit, and you'll want soft shocks. Probably oil filled rather than gas. You may also look into some softer springs and sway bar.

I used to DD a BMW 330i with all the sporty boxes checked, including the suspension (Ms were not available with four doors in that model year). When I first drove a Colorado with the Multimatics, it reminded me very strongly of the BMW. The impacts are subdued, but the focus is on maximizing chassis control, keeping the body stable, and keeping the tires in contact with the ground.

If you haven't driven a Colorado with the Multimatic suspension, it's worth the trip. One of the things I am most impressed by with my truck is the suspension. It's WAY better than such a large, heavy vehicle has any right to be. My wife has a JK Rubicon, and we live in the mountains above Denver. On the road to my parents' house, I set the cruise control at the speed limit, and just steer. Her Jeep is much more... Exciting... at much lower speeds. The vehicles are similar heights and sizes (if anything, her roofline is a little lower), mine's heavier, but in my truck that road is just a road. In her Jeep, it's more of an adventure... But not what I'd call "in a good way".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so would a piggyback system be kinda similar to the multimatic Chevy offers, for i have increased the tire size, on my truck it came with 260/60 R18, which will decrease the amount of rebound harsh you get on normal stock shock chevy offers. When doing some research on this I come to a kinda concerning point I need a much soft rebound, I know that Colorado will never fully lessen the harshness of the road compared to a 1500 series, but i do want a softer ride, what the one thing i love that Chevy did compared to ranger(which i drive a lot) and Tacoma is the swayness of the vehicle which i loved about my truck its just the struts just need to be change for a more smooth ride, my truck only has about 187000 miles on it, i know it will change over time but idk when tho.

·
Registered
530 Posts
For what it's worth, I want the same raptor feeling and I have King's on order. While I do like the Multimatics and am impressed with their capability out of the box, I don't like their firmness on the small-medium hits. Even with 35's, I need to push the truck hard to smooth things out. Sometimes I just want to cruise and have the boat feeling. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I can’t confirm for sure but I thought I remember reading on here that someone put zr2 rear shocks on a stock Colorado and blew them because they didn’t put a block lift at the same time. Since the zr2 is higher in the rear they bottomed out and blew.

anyone else remember?

if I’m wrong let me know, kinda going by memory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what it's worth, I want the same raptor feeling and I have King's on order. While I do like the Multimatics and am impressed with their capability out of the box, I don't like their firmness on the small-medium hits. Even with 35's, I need to push the truck hard to smooth things out. Sometimes I just want to cruise and have the boat feeling. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yea i feel you on that, i am choosing in spending the money for the fox system Accutune is offering or the king which is blue, may bite the bullet and get the fox for the looks, but tell me how the kings feel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can’t confirm for sure but I thought I remember reading on here that someone put zr2 rear shocks on a stock Colorado and blew them because they didn’t put a block lift at the same time. Since the zr2 is higher in the rear they bottomed out and blew.

anyone else remember?

if I’m wrong let me know, kinda going by memory.
I would image if some one just trough them on with doing some research on it, that you need bigger stoppers it would blow them out,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So doing some more research I am gonna do a fox 2.5 remote reserve shocks up front and then some fox 2.0 shocks in the back, I was worrying about the fit meant of them but doing some research and some guide dense from y’all, I found out that the my truck would be perfect fit for it, and plus it will be underneath the exact same thing as a z71 2wd package lol, but a more comfortable ride i need for the texas roads I go with my truck other than full over landing, may turn this truck into a prerunner but that will be later on down the road

1 - 10 of 10 Posts