Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found mud flaps for their Colorado that they really love or really hate? I have been looking at the WeatherTech (front part number 110049 & rear part number 120049) mud flaps. I like them but I thought their “QuickTurn Fastener” looked out of place once installed. That may just have been the picture I was looking at. The WeatherTech ones do not require any holes to be drilled. I have also looked at the GM (front part number 22958431 & rear part number 23278169) splash guards. The GM ones have the Bow Tie logo on the rear splash guards. The GM ones do require you to drill one hole.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Data

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have the WeatherTech ones you mentioned above. I've been happy with other of their products. This one was no different. They are well built, sturdy, easy install and look great. After a 100 miles of driving those locking quick turn fasteners blend right in once road dirt takes the shine out of them. I highly recommend.

Gusto!

·
Banned
281 Posts
Well I am "frugal"... okay I hate spending $ on things I think should be on the inexpensive side but for some reason cost a lot. I was naive whenI bought the truck on what would be worth the extra money. When I first bout my 2001 Tacoma it came with REAL mud flap...ya know flaps that actually stop mud and ice from getting all over the rear bumper or in the front all caked up on the step rails. They were long. I live rural and most roads are dirt i.e. mud.

I wash my truck and go to town and it is covered in mud.... same if I go wild on a touches car wash ...when I get home it's muddy again.

I bought the "splash guards" with the truck ... as useless a a splashing pool when you need a swim. Fancy nice looking and useless. So I bought some 12" x 15" flaps and put them on under the 'splash guards' for added stiffness..... again not long enough to keep the mud out of the bumper and step rail. I have now bought another cheap set so I could cut and attach them so as to lower the flap 3" more.
This is not really what I want to be doing. I mean I would like a real mud flap ...one piece 18-19" long. If anyone know where I can get one to fit without fancy logos and chromium babes etc... just a mud flap.
So 12-14" wide by 18-20" long.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got the WeatherTechs, along with the fender flares. They LOOK great, but do very little to keep crap off the side of the truck. I'm sure they're fine for keeping rocks from flying up behind you into other vehicles, but if you're looking for actual protection for your vehicle, I'd look at a different brand.

I'm also not impressed with the WeatherTech company in general, due to an ordering snafu on their end and how it was handled, but I'm sure that's an isolated incident.

·
Banned
281 Posts
I just found these... have others noticed ... why don't they include the measurements? duh. and it should say set of four..... right?
Anyway.... they look substantial anyone have a set from Rockstar?

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just put the OEM guards on a 17 Canyon this week. They look good but who knows how functional they'll end up being. I'm pretty sure these will mount the exact same on a Colorado.

The front required 2 drilled holes, one on the inner fender at the top of the mud guard, and one on the underside of the guard to secure it to the rocker panel. You can turn the wheels to get access.

The rear required 2 drilled holes, similar idea. One at the inner fender at the top of mud guard, and one on the underside of the bed to secure it. I had to take the rear wheels off, there's no way to get a torx bit screwdriver and drills in there behind the tire.

Each guard also has a piece of double sided tape you "push" against the body to "secure"...seemed pretty worthless. The strength is in the screws.

I got them off ebay for $89 from a GMC dealer parts department.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got the WeatherTechs, along with the fender flares. They LOOK great, but do very little to keep crap off the side of the truck. I'm sure they're fine for keeping rocks from flying up behind you into other vehicles, but if you're looking for actual protection for your vehicle, I'd look at a different brand.

I'm also not impressed with the WeatherTech company in general, due to an ordering snafu on their end and how it was handled, but I'm sure that's an isolated incident.

I have the WeatherTech and agreed, I've never had a vehicle that got so dirty with so little effort. One puddle and whole side of the truck is a mess. Unfortunately you would need to go with some giant rally style flaps to do any good, and those look silly IMO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I am "frugal"... okay I hate spending $ on things I think should be on the inexpensive side but for some reason cost a lot. I was naive whenI bought the truck on what would be worth the extra money. When I first bout my 2001 Tacoma it came with REAL mud flap...ya know flaps that actually stop mud and ice from getting all over the rear bumper or in the front all caked up on the step rails. They were long. I live rural and most roads are dirt i.e. mud.

I wash my truck and go to town and it is covered in mud.... same if I go wild on a touches car wash ...when I get home it's muddy again.

I bought the "splash guards" with the truck ... as useless a a splashing pool when you need a swim. Fancy nice looking and useless. So I bought some 12" x 15" flaps and put them on under the 'splash guards' for added stiffness..... again not long enough to keep the mud out of the bumper and step rail. I have now bought another cheap set so I could cut and attach them so as to lower the flap 3" more.
This is not really what I want to be doing. I mean I would like a real mud flap ...one piece 18-19" long. If anyone know where I can get one to fit without fancy logos and chromium babes etc... just a mud flap.
So 12-14" wide by 18-20" long.
ive actually been researching mud flaps for the last 2 days... seems like the rally armour basic plus is a go when it comes to your sizing wants. I might get these some day

·
Registered
761 Posts
I also have the WeatherTechs and have no real complaints. They are as good as you can expect. No drill and they seem solid enough. In fact I caught one one a log I didn't see the other day and it didnt rip out or really have any visible damage.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have the weather techs on my ZR2, they look good, the fronts do not hang low enough to do muck. The front of my rear fender gets hammered with salt, snow, rocks and sand....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got the GM ones tossed in with the truck when I bought it. They have been fine and mount nice and solid.
I did the same thing in that I got the salesman to throw them on my Canyon when I bought it. I wanted more length as some others have said so I bought another set that have the GMC logo in a chrome lettering that I added to the factory ones which work perfect in keeping much more snow, slush, and mud off the steps and off the rear quarters and rear bumper. They are reinforced thermal plastic that were just a little wider and I hung them down lower to protect. They look fine for me. I was able to attach them to the factory flaps without drilling any holes in the fenders just into factory flap and they are secure.

·
Registered
862 Posts
After getting tired of the door handles being covered in mud and getting my hands dirty I installed the Weather techs. Solved that problem but the truck still gets way more dirty than my other vehicle. Body styling is probably the cause of this but OK as it is a Z71 and not a garage queen.... :)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I bought the Weathertec Splash Guards. . The ones for use WITH GM OEM Fender Flares. They fit and are working great.

I have not problem with the self locking fastener. If it bother the way it looks, there is always some semi gloss or flat black paint that will make it blend right in.

The Weathertecs fasten to the fenders and liners using factory screws that are already there. No drilling required.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After getting tired of the door handles being covered in mud and getting my hands dirty I installed the Weather techs. Solved that problem but the truck still gets way more dirty than my other vehicle. Body styling is probably the cause of this but OK as it is a Z71 and not a garage queen.... :)

? Same problem same fix

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far no problem with these, had to drill 1 hole for each, well worth the price for all four. Just noticed the price has increased since I purchased.
What brand are they? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Thanks

David

1 - 20 of 99 Posts