Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have only had the zr2 for a year. Loved the truck had big plans on building out the engine and whatnot. After tuning deleting it un deleting it retuning it and the whole nine I just feel uneasy that she will hold up. So I traied it in a willys gladiator diesel. I'll update and post up some picks soon. For what it's worth I put 30000k on the truck and got 100 bucks less then I bought it for. So a freeish ride for a year lol

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Messes with the diesel, doesn't trust what he's done to the diesel... Buys a different diesel... Rinse and repeat?

Good luck! My wife's EcoDiesel has been good, has 88k on it now and other than the recalls and a bad sensor it's been solid. The 8 speed trans is great.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
3,896 Posts
You're gonna spend so much on accessories for that toy

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha yes. Wife asked if was going to mess this one up too. I said no its got a 100k mile warranty. No tuning in my future.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
522 Posts
That doesn't mean you won't be spending $$$$ on suspension/tires/etc

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Hahaha yes. Wife asked if was going to mess this one up too. I said no its got a 100k mile warranty. No tuning in my future.
She’s right, best left alone, if they wanted/needed it tuned, the factory would have done it! I get the same response from my wife.

Reactions: Jbomb001 and Firehk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on the Eco Diesel Gladiator. I have driven a Few Gladiators, Rubicon's, sports, Manual Trans, and the Diesel. You will like it

Reactions: Jbomb001

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe they will resolve the death wobble. I was surprised the Gladiator has the same issue. You think it would have been addressed.

Heck our old CJ used to have a horrible wobble at 60 mph.
Death wobble is an almost inevitable outcome from two solid axles, suspension parts wearing, and road harmonics. I don't think it's solvable by Stellantis, but it is solvable once it happens. It is not fun to solve, and is very time consuming, but is possible. I still miss my 05 LJ...

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
2,110 Posts
Death wobble is an almost inevitable outcome from two solid axles, suspension parts wearing, and road harmonics. I don't think it's solvable by Stellantis, but it is solvable once it happens. It is not fun to solve, and is very time consuming, but is possible. I still miss my 05 LJ...

View attachment 411081
I know of a few death wobbler Jeeps that Fiat-Chrysler was never able to solve. Surprisingly one of them actually got lemoned.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
3,896 Posts
swing arm bushes?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

View attachment 411081
Solid axles up front are really becoming more a liability in a Jeep now they have been taken to court.

It could and should have been fixed decades ago but it’s a Jeep thing. Jeep often is held back from being better due to it’s heritage equity. There is a good side to this equity but also a price to pay in other areas for it.

The Mini and other retro like vehicles pay this price.

This is why I think GM could build a better Jeep if they wanted to as they could start with a clean sheet of paper.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know of a few death wobbler Jeeps that Fiat-Chrysler was never able to solve. Surprisingly one of them actually got lemoned.
That is surprising. Was probably a very, we'll say blue, state.

Solid axles up front are really becoming more a liability in a Jeep now they have been taken to court.

It could and should have been fixed decades ago but it’s a Jeep thing. Jeep often is held back from being better due to it’s heritage equity. There is a good side to this equity but also a price to pay in other areas for it.

The Mini and other retro like vehicles pay this price.

This is why I think GM could build a better Jeep if they wanted to as they could start with a clean sheet of paper.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Unless the Honda Ridgeline is a better midsize truck than ours (which according to consumer reports it is). I think part of what makes a truck a truck is the solid rear axle, and part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep is two solid axles. If I wanted a nice riding SUV I'd probably buy a Grand Cherokee. People who buy Jeeps (wranglers) as luxury SUVs are not doing themselves any favors.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

It's also an HD Ram thing and a Ford Super Duty thing.

I like how GM brought back the full floaters. Imagine those in a body on frame SUV with front and rear lockers, diesel and manual transmission...drooooL

That is surprising. Was probably a very, we'll say blue, state.
Louisiana. And it was a JK. The Just Kidding Jeep. He did a very good job of establishing the problem early on when it wobbled and he almost crashed it the first week after he bought it. Between the dash cam video and documents of the car being in the shop for well over a month...they threw everything at it: wheels, arms, track bars, bushings, knuckles, stabilizers, tie rods, and every time it came back.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Unless the Honda Ridgeline is a better midsize truck than ours (which according to consumer reports it is). I think part of what makes a truck a truck is the solid rear axle, and part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep is two solid axles. If I wanted a nice riding SUV I'd probably buy a Grand Cherokee. People who buy Jeeps (wranglers) as luxury SUVs are not doing themselves any favors.
consumer reports, lol...but agreed on the axles. The axles and frame are what define a real truck or a jeep.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The occurrence of the death wobble is exaggerated, IMO. I've owned 9 vehicles with solid front axles. Mostly Jeeps, but also Scouts and a Ram. Cumulatively I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them on all kinds of roads and at all different speeds. Know how many had problems with the death wobble? Zero.

Not saying it's not a problem that some experience, but it's not as common as this thread makes it sound.

Reactions: Jbomb001

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The occurrence of the death wobble is exaggerated, IMO. I've owned 9 vehicles with solid front axles. Mostly Jeeps, but also Scouts and a Ram. Cumulatively I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them on all kinds of roads and at all different speeds. Know how many had problems with the death wobble? Zero.

Not saying it's not a problem that some experience, but it's not as common as this thread makes it sound.

If it is exaggerated then how are there endless youtube videos of death wobbles? Since there have been billions of vehicles produced throughout history, and despite the high mileage you may have driven in a handful of them, cumulatively you've still only sampled something like 0.0000001% of all solid front axle vehicles ever made.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
107 Posts
If it is exaggerated then how are there endless youtube videos of death wobbles? Since there have been billions of vehicles produced throughout history, and despite the high mileage you may have driven in a handful of them, cumulatively you've still only sampled something like 0.0000001% of all solid axle vehicles ever made.
Death wobble is the result of lack of maintenance or improperly setup rigs. Only death wobble I even had on many solid axle rigs over the last 20 years was in a 94 Jeep XJ and that was just because the track bar got bent and ripped the threads out of the heim joint on the end. Drove home over 500miles with ratchet straps holding the axle in place. Mind you that was a mostly terrifying drive in early spring with so many potholes out there.

When built right and aligned properly with proper pressures and quality tires and joints then death wobble is of no concern. Skip on any one of those aspects and then yes, one day you will experience it. There wasn't one factory live axle to leave the lot with death wobble. It's the changes or lack of maintenance that will cause it.

Just my 2¢ here.

Sit, Ubu, sit.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
There wasn't one factory live axle to leave the lot with death wobble.
Absolutely false. I know of at least two brand new Jeeps that had it from the factory. There have been class action lawsuits and more. It is not always caused by owner negligence.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts