Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
My MA1 came in the mail yesterday. Pixel 6. At first it wouldn't pair via BT. I restarted my phone and redid the procedure and all went well. Ran a few errands getting in and out of my truck. No hiccups. Streaming Pandora and MP3s from my phone while showing the map.
Works just like it should.
Show off!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
Motorola Voice has escalated my issue up the chain. They have no reports of issues matching mine but since it's still new they may not be in the system yet. Again on to the waiting game. Just wanted to give an update in case someone else runs into similar issues.

·
Registered
2020 Satin Steel Metallic Colorado Z71 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Motorola Voice has escalated my issue up the chain. They have no reports of issues matching mine but since it's still new they may not be in the system yet. Again on to the waiting game. Just wanted to give an update in case someone else runs into similar issues.

The test would be if you were able to try another MA1 unit.
If I was Motorola, I'd want to use you as a test case, and send you a proven unit.
I mean you are using one of the most popular current phones.
Maybe you could try suggesting that to them?

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
That was one of my suggestions to them as well. More than likely that will be the case. But I'm sure it has to be their idea to happen lol

Reactions: spb1122

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCSB V6 4X4
321 Posts
As of last night I was on track to receive my MA1 today, but just got a "We're experiencing delays" notification. New delivery date Feb 16. Will update you guys if it ever gets here

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,064 Posts
Had a friend try a gasp wireless carplay unit. Came to find out it wasn't supported on the 21 up full size trucks lol. Have another friend with factory wireless stuff and it's equally as shitty though. Drops constant etc.

I thought about this unit but for the... 2 times a month I actually use android auto I don't mind it being plugged in. Mainly for podcasts on the utica trips. I'm curious how this will work for you all long term though. Motorola is a pretty reputable company and I'd think they'd have the thing well squared away to work. So far it seems just as good as the China carplay units though which is some good some bad. If long term this works I may make a splitter and get one to run inside the dash.

Reactions: BlueLaser17

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
Had a friend try a gasp wireless carplay unit. Came to find out it wasn't supported on the 21 up full size trucks lol. Have another friend with factory wireless stuff and it's equally as shitty though. Drops constant etc.

I thought about this unit but for the... 2 times a month I actually use android auto I don't mind it being plugged in. Mainly for podcasts on the utica trips. I'm curious how this will work for you all long term though. Motorola is a pretty reputable company and I'd think they'd have the thing well squared away to work. So far it seems just as good as the China carplay units though which is some good some bad. If long term this works I may make a splitter and get one to run inside the dash.
Well moto doesn't actually make these. They are by a company licensed to use the Motorola name on their product. SPG or something like that. Obviously moto needs to know they can stand behind it but it's not the quality they would usually produce themselves.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@BlueLaser17 I just got the Feb system update on my Pixel 6 Pro. Don't know if that might address any of your issues but it's worth a shot.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I've used mine for about two hours total. I'm afraid to jinx myself, but mine is working just like I was plugged in with a wire. I can't tell any difference. I've run Google maps for navigation, played music with Spotify, made phone calls and received phone calls. Even though I never text or read texts while driving, just to test it, I sent voice texts and received texts. I get in the truck, start it up, and within 15 seconds Android Auto is available on the infotainment screen. Phone stays in my pocket untouched. I only hope it keeps up like this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I received the MA1 today.
I can't get it to work.
I don't think it is the MA1, I think my phone may be too outdated.
I can pair with it via Bluetooth, but it will not establish the necessary wi-fi connection with my phone.
I see it on the list of available wi-fi networks, but if I try to connect that way, it wants a password (which doesn't come with the MA1).

Unfortunately, I missed the fact that Motorola states (a bit discreetly, but I'm bitter now, lol) that the phone has to be running Android 11. Apparently only Google or Samsung phones will work with Android 10, and only Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus, and Note 8 will work with Android 9.

I have an LG G7 ThinQ phone through Verizon that is a few years old. It is running Android 9. Verizon has not released the Android 10 update for the phone (even though the update was released by LG over a year ago...), never mind an Android 11 update. Yay Verizon!!

Sucks it won't work for me out of the box, but I'll try to ask Motorola Support, or maybe it's time for a new phone. The LG still works perfectly fine for my needs, but the battery life is starting to fade noticeably.

Bottom line? Check what version of Android you're running before purchasing the Motorola MA1.

Today, (after the fact of course) I've read a couple of places that the AAWireless unit works with Android 9.

So, take the $100 risk and order (and wait months for) an AAWireless, just get a new phone, or keep plugging in the wire? That is my quandary.
What to do? (not really asking just trying to be funny)
This has been my gripe with Android forever. I love that I can tinker to my hearts delight and that I can get a solid mid-range phone for a lot less than an iPhone BUT updates suck. Google releases an update, then phone mfg has to decide to do it for your phone and stomp on the pure Android and then your carrier has to do the same thing. Motorola promised better updates and then failed. I then went with Pixel since much better updates and the A series was reasonable.
However, the lack of an all inclusive service like iMessage is REALLY moving me to Apple. Just feel like I'm in the dark ages. I know if I use the stock messenger I can get the ability but it only works with other Android phones using the stock messenger and both them and Apple need to communicate to make any of this worthwhile IMO.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,064 Posts
Well moto doesn't actually make these. They are by a company licensed to use the Motorola name on their product. SPG or something like that. Obviously moto needs to know they can stand behind it but it's not the quality they would usually produce themselves.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. In that case I'll definitely wait if I do lol.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
So I gave up. My Moto MA1 has now been returned. After several attempts to get this resolved it appears customer service is of no concern when they are having issues keeping them in stock at the moment. I have no interest in holding onto something that does not work as intended. Three times I was referred to the next step of tech support. And all three times there has been zero communication from them. So now I will just wait on my AAW order to get here and try it to see if it's any better. I pulled out every trick in my bag to make this work. Even included a full reset of my phone and made sure every update was installed. Only worked as intended twice. Twice out of probably 60 times or more. I make three 20 minute, or less, drives 6 days a week. Hence the reason for wireless. But I will deal with the cord as for now it works flawlessly and always has.

On a side note Moto isn't the only one with customer service issues. I have had issues with a couple other things as some might know from other posts. It's been almost a month and I still haven't heard back from Magnaflow over my exhaust issue. But to my surprise S&B intakes took care of a flawed clear cover under warranty with no need to return my defective cover. And I had the replacement within a week of my first contact. I stand behind their service but I just have issues with these others.

I hope everyone else getting an MA1 has a better experience than I had. If it wasn't for the consistent lagging/skipping and unit restarts I might have been happy. But I am one that's annoyed by slight lagging and that even showed from trying to use the touchscreen. Even that took multiple presses to operate. My opinion if someone else has these issues would be to skip over tech support and just return or swap for a replacement if ordered through Amazon as that would be easy if replacements were readily available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So I gave up. My Moto MA1 has now been returned. After several attempts to get this resolved it appears customer service is of no concern when they are having issues keeping them in stock at the moment. I have no interest in holding onto something that does not work as intended. Three times I was referred to the next step of tech support. And all three times there has been zero communication from them. So now I will just wait on my AAW order to get here and try it to see if it's any better. I pulled out every trick in my bag to make this work. Even included a full reset of my phone and made sure every update was installed. Only worked as intended twice. Twice out of probably 60 times or more. I make three 20 minute, or less, drives 6 days a week. Hence the reason for wireless. But I will deal with the cord as for now it works flawlessly and always has.

On a side note Moto isn't the only one with customer service issues. I have had issues with a couple other things as some might know from other posts. It's been almost a month and I still haven't heard back from Magnaflow over my exhaust issue. But to my surprise S&B intakes took care of a flawed clear cover under warranty with no need to return my defective cover. And I had the replacement within a week of my first contact. I stand behind their service but I just have issues with these others.

I hope everyone else getting an MA1 has a better experience than I had. If it wasn't for the consistent lagging/skipping and unit restarts I might have been happy. But I am one that's annoyed by slight lagging and that even showed from trying to use the touchscreen. Even that took multiple presses to operate. My opinion if someone else has these issues would be to skip over tech support and just return or swap for a replacement if ordered through Amazon as that would be easy if replacements were readily available.

Perfectly reasonable. It is unfortunate it didn't work out for you. It would have been interesting to be able to confirm if the actual MA1 unit was defective, as the device does seem to work as intended for many, including me (knock on wood). Although, I also read of many having issues with it too.
Regarding Moto customer service, I must have been one of the very first to receive a MA1. I got it two days before it was supposed to be released. Anyway, when mine didn't hook up out of the box, I sent them an email. I got two responses inside of 12 hours. No solution, but fast initial response. Maybe because the flood gates hadn't opened yet? Perhaps Moto is now overwhelmed on all fronts?
Anyway, my point is this: As I mentioned my MA1 is working flawlessly now. It did not work out of the box following Moto's instructions. Guess where my solution came from. I intended to return the MA1. I actually placed an order for the AAWireless dongle. When I placed that order, I posted a comment on their Indiegogo campaign page saying MA1 didn't work for me with Android 9, so I was going to wait and try AAWireless. Emil, one of the two AAWireless project owners, replied to my comment saying that neither device, his or the MA1, would work on Android 9 without adjusting a developer setting in the Android Auto app. He acknowledged he was "shooting himself in the foot", but he gave me the solution to make his competitions product work for me. I cancelled my AAWireless order (with some guilt). From that experience, and from reading much more on AAWireless, both on their campaign page, and other, independent sources, it seems clear to me that AAWireless is very, very, very competent, and customer service oriented. The two project owners seem to be doing this from their heart. They are responsive and effective. If they could only get the availability and shipping under some type of control, the choice would be a no-brainer for me. @BlueLaser17 , I hope it works out for you.
As it is, I decided the established company (Moto), firm shipping timeline (at the time, lol), and the "it's Amazon-easy-to-return" factor, made the MA1 the choice I made. I got lucky in that regard. I got my pre-order in early and actually got a unit. I was able to get it to work for me. That being said, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have ordered, and waited for, the AAWireless unit, just because they show quite a bit if honor. I'm really thinking about ordering one anyway, on principle.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
Perfectly reasonable. It is unfortunate it didn't work out for you. It would have been interesting to be able to confirm if the actual MA1 unit was defective, as the device does seem to work as intended for many, including me (knock on wood). Although, I also read of many having issues with it too.
Regarding Moto customer service, I must have been one of the very first to receive a MA1. I got it two days before it was supposed to be released. Anyway, when mine didn't hook up out of the box, I sent them an email. I got two responses inside of 12 hours. No solution, but fast initial response. Maybe because the flood gates hadn't opened yet? Perhaps Moto is now overwhelmed on all fronts?
Anyway, my point is this: As I mentioned my MA1 is working flawlessly now. It did not work out of the box following Moto's instructions. Guess where my solution came from. I intended to return the MA1. I actually placed an order for the AAWireless dongle. When I placed that order, I posted a comment on their Indiegogo campaign page saying MA1 didn't work for me with Android 9, so I was going to wait and try AAWireless. Emil, one of the two AAWireless project owners, replied to my comment saying that neither device, his or the MA1, would work on Android 9 without adjusting a developer setting in the Android Auto app. He acknowledged he was "shooting himself in the foot", but he gave me the solution to make his competitions product work for me. I cancelled my AAWireless order (with some guilt). From that experience, and from reading much more on AAWireless, both on their campaign page, and other, independent sources, it seems clear to me that AAWireless is very, very, very competent, and customer service oriented. The two project owners seem to be doing this from their heart. They are responsive and effective. If they could only get the availability and shipping under some type of control, the choice would be a no-brainer for me. @BlueLaser17 , I hope it works out for you.
As it is, I decided the established company (Moto), firm shipping timeline (at the time, lol), and the "it's Amazon-easy-to-return" factor, made the MA1 the choice I made. I got lucky in that regard. I got my pre-order in early and actually got a unit. I was able to get it to work for me. That being said, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have ordered, and waited for, the AAWireless unit, just because they show quite a bit if honor. I'm really thinking about ordering one anyway, on principle.
All three times I contacted them I had a basic response in a time frame like you. But each time they said they are forwarding me to the next level of tech support and I will hear back in 2-4 business days. That never happened. Like there is a void where a second tier tech support team would be for these. Since moto doesn't actually make these I think that's where the issue is. Either way it was a bad experience. If the AAW doesn't act like I am expecting then I will have to chock it up to other issues with truck or phone which could be as simple as wireless interference from something or signal issues in my area. But at the least I am going to try it. Moto just didn't impress me as they have in the past.

There is one place I am going to look for a big difference and I think the AAW will have it. Operational speed. From what I have heard it will be completely indistinguishable from wired once set up. Meaning touch speed results in immediate response. To me that's what was wrong with the Moto unit. Slow clock speed. Likely defective but since customer service failed to try we will never know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey guys finally got my MA1 and installed it. Super simple pairing and setup. I tried it out on a 45 minute trip and had similar experiences as some of you did. Worked great for 10-15 minutes then lost connection with the green light blinking. Unplugged and replugged and it was back to the races for another 10 minutes. Impossible to use like that. Strangely, on the return trip which took 90 minutes (in heavy traffic) it never lost connection once. I'll play with it more this weekend to see if I can get it more stable. I'm running the latest Feb updates (pt2 today) on my Pixel 6 Pro. If I discover anything new I'll update you. It seems like a great solution if the connection were more stable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update on my experience.

Long trip to Oklahoma (~6hr drive) - only cut out once for a few seconds and was flawless the rest of the trip. On the way back - had no issues.

A couple short errands on Tuesday night - no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
Just got word my AAW perk is finally shipping. Just had the tracking made so no time frame for delivery but looking forward to trying it out since the Moto one didn't work out so well for me.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
Just got word my AAW perk is finally shipping. Just had the tracking made so no time frame for delivery but looking forward to trying it out since the Moto one didn't work out so well for me.

Any luck????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
My MA1 continues to work perfectly for me.
(Tom, I realize you were asking about the AAW perk, but the notification reminded me about this thread.)

61 - 80 of 92 Posts