Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

Registered
2020 Satin Steel Metallic Colorado Z71 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I preordered the Motorola MA1 a week ago. Right now, I have an estimated delivery date of 2/2 - 2/3/22.
I'm hoping this dongle lets me just hop in the truck, leave my phone in my pocket, and have Android Auto run the way it is intended.

I wanted to start this thread in the hopes that other Colorado Gen 2 owners who are going to try the Motorola MA1, would share their experience.

馃

Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
I still have an AA wireless unit on order. Should have been delivered but they have been a bit behind lately. I also thought about ordering the Moto unit for side by side comparison eventually. I may still do it.

Edit: decided to just order it since it will ship in a few days from Amazon and have it by Feb.
Since it's Motorola branded I would assume it will work faster and smoother than other options out there. Not always the case though. So now the waiting game.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mfeebs and spb1122

Registered
2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCSB V6 4X4
This looks like a very interesting solution. Very curious how it will work out!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

Premium Member
I too am interested. Tried to run AA from my galaxy tablet I run torque from but it wouldn't download. Something about device incompatibility.

I'm fine with corded AA... for now. It charges my phone while performing all the functions I need it to. My phone is basically an antique at this point (S9+) and I know my battery would be toast after a 30min drive with wireless AA.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have an AA wireless unit on order. Should have been delivered but they have been a bit behind lately. I also thought about ordering the Moto unit for side by side comparison eventually. I may still do it.

Edit: decided to just order it since it will ship in a few days from Amazon and have it by Feb.
Since it's Motorola branded I would assume it will work faster and smoother than other options out there. Not always the case though. So now the waiting game.

I would be VERY, VERY interested in hearing your comparison if you end up with both the AAWireless and the Motorola MA1. Even though it will be after I already have the MA1.

I was going to order the AAWireless one too, but as of today, they are saying they won't be able to fulfill all the ones for January shipping, and they are reconfiguring their distribution system by shipping non-US orders first. Chinese New Year also starts end of this month. Their next available perk shows estimated shipping March 2022, but they haven't hit one shipping goal yet, and it doesn't look like that's going to improve anytime soon, so who knows if/when an AAWireless unit would show up if ordered today?

It's a shame really, I'd prefer to support AAWireless. From what I've read, that team worked hard on this, and is very visible as far as customer support. I wouldn't mind waiting, say, a month for an AAWireless, if I could be reasonably confident they would take a month.
3-6 months? Maybe? Too uncertain, and too long. A bird in the hand, and all that...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am interested. Tried to run AA from my galaxy tablet I run torque from but it wouldn't download. Something about device incompatibility.

I'm fine with corded AA... for now. It charges my phone while performing all the functions I need it to. My phone is basically an antique at this point (S9+) and I know my battery would be toast after a 30min drive with wireless AA.
I hear you.
Having to plug the phone in every time I get in the truck is a PITA to me, and sooner than later, I'm going to break that USB-C on the phone, I just know it. Plus, I've forgotten my phone in the truck when I got out a few times too, lol (don't laugh at me you young whipper snapper sonny boys). My trips are many, but short to medium in length, so it's a lot of plugging in and out, and battery charging is not really an issue (and, I could always plug in for charging if needed).
I tried using a magnetic cable to ease all that, but after a few months both USB ports stopped working for data. I had to replace the port. I can't be sure that the magnetic cables (or the way I connected/disconnected) didn't have something to do with that, and fried the port (more circuits in that port than I expected, TBH).

Premium Member

The AA app won't run on a tablet, wired or wireless. Cell phones only. At least that was my experience with it. I did find some apps that promised work arounds and compatibility but none of the delivered for me.

Premium Member
I hear you.
Having to plug the phone in every time I get in the truck is a PITA to me, and sooner than later, I'm going to break that USB-C on the phone, I just know it. Plus, I've forgotten my phone in the truck when I got out a few times too, lol (don't laugh at me you young whipper snapper sonny boys). My trips are many, but short to medium in length, so it's a lot of plugging in and out, and battery charging is not really an issue (and, I could always plug in for charging if needed).
I tried using a magnetic cable to ease all that, but after a few months both USB ports stopped working for data. I had to replace the port. I can't be sure that the magnetic cables (or the way I connected/disconnected) didn't have something to do with that, and fried the port (more circuits in that port than I expected, TBH).
Definitely fair. Makes a lot of sense for your use case. I have 2x 30min drives a day (to/from work) and would probably kill my poor phone using wireless AA.

FWIW USB-C is rated to a minimum of 10,000 cycles (plugging + unplugging). That's plugging and unplugging once a day for 27 years, or 4 times a day for 6.8 years. (Under ideal circumstances with no pocket dust/lint/gunpowder/rust flakes getting in there.) My 2016 samsung with USB-C is still going strong. The port on the phone has actually worn many a cable out (on my 3rd cable) and still plugs up snug. The USB-C/thunderbolt ports on my 2016 dell xps laptop did not fair as well and all of them blew out in 3-4 years. So... good luck ? haha.

Registered
2018 Z71 Ext. Cab 3.6L Satin Steel

I have an AA Wireless unit and am very pleased with it. Only a couple hiccups here and there.

Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
Just got a shipping update for the Moto unit. Not looking good for them to be out on time if this is a true judge of availability.

So much for Jan 28 release with 2 day shipping guaranteed. It may still change but thought I would update those interested in the Moto unit.

Edit: also looks like they have it listed as unavailable on Amazon now. So no more preorders are being accepted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Preorder availability has been up and down for over a week (mostly down really).
The day after I placed my preorder, I got that same exact shipping update you did (to March 14-15).
Five days later I got another update putting my estimated delivery date back to 2/2 - 2/3, and that is still my ETA on amazon.
We'll see.

Microphone Font Parallel Audio equipment Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...... Not looking good for them to be out on time if this is a true judge of availability.....
.....So much for Jan 28 release with 2 day shipping guaranteed......
Well, this is interesting....I got an update from Amazon early this morning that my package was arriving early, with an expected delivery date of........today, 1/26/22.....!!!

Fingers crossed.

Registered
I'm fine with corded AA... for now. It charges my phone while performing all the functions I need it to.
The problem is with corded AA it charges very slowly. Quickcharge and other fast charging systems don't work. That's the main reason I would buy this sort of thing.

Registered
The AA app won't run on a tablet, wired or wireless. Cell phones only. At least that was my experience with it. I did find some apps that promised work arounds and compatibility but none of the delivered for me.
Did you install AA on the tablet? I would guess it's not preinstalled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I received the MA1 today.
I can't get it to work.
I don't think it is the MA1, I think my phone may be too outdated.
I can pair with it via Bluetooth, but it will not establish the necessary wi-fi connection with my phone.
I see it on the list of available wi-fi networks, but if I try to connect that way, it wants a password (which doesn't come with the MA1).

Unfortunately, I missed the fact that Motorola states (a bit discreetly, but I'm bitter now, lol) that the phone has to be running Android 11. Apparently only Google or Samsung phones will work with Android 10, and only Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus, and Note 8 will work with Android 9.

I have an LG G7 ThinQ phone through Verizon that is a few years old. It is running Android 9. Verizon has not released the Android 10 update for the phone (even though the update was released by LG over a year ago...), never mind an Android 11 update. Yay Verizon!!

Sucks it won't work for me out of the box, but I'll try to ask Motorola Support, or maybe it's time for a new phone. The LG still works perfectly fine for my needs, but the battery life is starting to fade noticeably.

Bottom line? Check what version of Android you're running before purchasing the Motorola MA1.

Today, (after the fact of course) I've read a couple of places that the AAWireless unit works with Android 9.

So, take the $100 risk and order (and wait months for) an AAWireless, just get a new phone, or keep plugging in the wire? That is my quandary.
What to do? (not really asking just trying to be funny)

Premium Member
Did you install AA on the tablet? I would guess it's not preinstalled.
Initially, it wouldn't even install, stating words to the effect the device wasn't compatible. I was able to get to install using a work around I found on line, but it never did work.

Registered
2017 GMC Canyon Denali CCSB V6 4X4
I received the MA1 today.
I can't get it to work.
I don't think it is the MA1, I think my phone may be too outdated.
I can pair with it via Bluetooth, but it will not establish the necessary wi-fi connection with my phone.
I see it on the list of available wi-fi networks, but if I try to connect that way, it wants a password (which doesn't come with the MA1).

Unfortunately, I missed the fact that Motorola states (a bit discreetly, but I'm bitter now, lol) that the phone has to be running Android 11. Apparently only Google or Samsung phones will work with Android 10, and only Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus, and Note 8 will work with Android 9.

I have an LG G7 ThinQ phone through Verizon that is a few years old. It is running Android 9. Verizon has not released the Android 10 update for the phone (even though the update was released by LG over a year ago...), never mind an Android 11 update. Yay Verizon!!

Sucks it won't work for me out of the box, but I'll try to ask Motorola Support, or maybe it's time for a new phone. The LG still works perfectly fine for my needs, but the battery life is starting to fade noticeably.

Bottom line? Check what version of Android you're running before purchasing the Motorola MA1.

Today, (after the fact of course) I've read a couple of places that the AAWireless unit works with Android 9.

So, take the $100 risk and order (and wait months for) an AAWireless, just get a new phone, or keep plugging in the wire? That is my quandary.
What to do? (not really asking just trying to be funny)
Oh man! How disappointing. If worse comes to worse and you end up needing the AA wireless unit I'm sure one of us who hasn't hit the pre-order yet for the MA1 would be happy to buy it from you. Either that or maybe it's time for a new phone. Just got one myself last month after 4 years.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

Registered
Hoping Android 12 will be problem free (eta is March for mine)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts