Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to install the H11 morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 on a 2021 Colorado Z71 you will have to use the housing cap extensions. It's probably about an eighth to a quarter of an inch interference. However the extensions were easy. A 2.5" hole saw was the perfect fit for A286 cap extensions. Also a bead of silicon around the edge doesn't hurt either. You will not need the anti-flicker module. My first impression just driving home is they have a very nice pattern and a sharp cut off line. The are white with just the very slightest tint of blue. So slight you may not notice it. Also they are brighter that stock but they were not as bright as I expected.
Automotive tire Household hardware Finger Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Liquid Hat Kitchen appliance Automotive wheel system

Hand Drinkware Automotive tire Helmet Hat

Automotive tire Fluid Finger Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment

Drinkware Wheel Helmet Serveware Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
489 Posts
I will say with all these high end lights that require modification to the caps, I am very happy with my sealight set. Still have an internal fan for cooling and fit fully under the cover. Make things a night and day difference compared to the OEM halogens in projectors. I just can't justify the modification of the housings or extended cost for what becomes a very minimal difference in output over these. I think they are/were the sealight s2 or something like that.

Either way I hope you get good life and use from the morimotos since they are good quality.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: splitting_lanes

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Morimoto had some issues with the Twins' charging system when they first came out, such that they pulled certain models out of compatibility completely, hopefully they have ironed that out.

I run the 2Stroke 2.0s on my Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, love them... even more than the SL1s I had in the Colorado. Warmer color temperature was a big plus for me.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
I will say with all these high end lights that require modification to the caps, I am very happy with my sealight set. Still have an internal fan for cooling and fit fully under the cover. Make things a night and day difference compared to the OEM halogens in projectors. I just can't justify the modification of the housings or extended cost for what becomes a very minimal difference in output over these. I think they are/were the sealight s2 or something like that.

Either way I hope you get good life and use from the morimotos since they are good quality.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I just got a set of high/low beams for 80.00 last week which fit under the cap. I also got a pair of fog lights that switch from 3k to 6k each time there’re powered up for $30-40. I had bought some silvania led backup bulbs a while back too so I put those in

I’m super happy with my setup and really wanted to get the diode dynamics SL1 but this way I got all my lights for the price of 1 set from DD. My plan is to do the DD set in a few months but I’ll still have the high beams from the first set, and I’ll keep the first cheap set in the center console for a spare if ever needed.
This is just what I did.
They are definitely brighter and have a straight cutoff. I actually didn’t need to adjust my headlights.
The reverse lights look better not yellow, but are not any better in the camera. So I’ll augment them with a light off the bed light switch so it cancels automatically.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Great mod technique for the dust caps. It's a shame it's not currently legal to run LEDs on any vehicle not originally designed for them. Hopefully with Morimoto working with SAE on a J standard with these exact lights, it will soon be approved again.

Land of the free, right ? haha
(Vote for freedoms, not free stuff)

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
I haven’t ever heard of a ticket being written for headlights. It would be a fix it ticket so- I will run mine anyway. There’s certain rules that were meant to be broken. 5 over the speed limit would be a more serious ticket.
The only concern is if they start going after manufacturers or sales of them. I may need to hoard a few set lol.

Reactions: ARCowboy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great mod technique for the dust caps. It's a shame it's not currently legal to run LEDs on any vehicle not originally designed for them. Hopefully with Morimoto working with SAE on a J standard with these exact lights, it will soon be approved again.

Land of the free, right ? haha
(Vote for freedoms, not free stuff)
Well there is a lot of bad products out there but these bulbs have a perfect oem pattern and are not blinding anyone so I find no issue with running them anyways.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I made it out to some dark country roads away from all the lights tonight. I find that these 2stroke 3.0 low beams bulbs are just not bright enough. Just a slight increase over stock but it does not justify the hefty price tag. I added the super bright gtr lighting high beams a few days ago and I'll probably purchase the gtr low beams also.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
So I made it out to some dark country roads away from all the lights tonight. I find that these 2stroke 3.0 low beams bulbs are just not bright enough. Just a slight increase over stock but it does not justify the hefty price tag. I added the super bright gtr lighting high beams a few days ago and I'll probably purchase the gtr low beams also.
remember they are low beams made to not blind on-coming traffic not so bright you do not need high beams

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am pretty surprised at that. I tested them to be almost twice as bright as OEM stock.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I was thinking these were the Morimoto HID's that they are known for not LED's .

I checked reviews, and notice all the truck/car led headlight reviews are gone now since they are illegal in most vehicles.

I like my Supernova V.4's that fit inside the cap the SV.4 are junk..copied but not duplicted

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes it's better than stock and it has a perfect pattern but I don't think it's bright enough to spend almost $300. I ordered the gtr and I'll be able to compare them to each other next week.
Good point. I am curious to know your results with the GTR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts