Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while at work a coworker was reading the sunday paper and came upon an article about how Clark Howard had ranked the 10 most and least reliable vehicles. I'm sad to say that the Colorado ranked #1 most UN-reliable...WTF? Next in line was the Camaro! She knew I had just bought a used 16' V6 4X4, so she pointed it out. This sucks as I've lusted after this truck for years now, and it seems I'm only hearing of these issues after the fact. The transmission surging and the timing chain and or tensioner failures...I've only had the truck a few months and love it to death! Just wondered what you folks have to say...now, I don't know much about Clark Howard other than he does consumer stuff or whatnot. I guess it was based mostly or in part on Consumer Reports articles...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don’t worry, be happy (levity) - seriously, just enjoy the truck. If something comes up, have it fixed. Being concerned about ‘what if‘ is not living in the moment. If it will help, set aside a maintenance fund/savings account and then just enjoy the truck. I love mine and I’m sure you’ll continue to enjoy yours too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got a 17, 65k on it maybe more and couldn’t ask for a more reliable truck.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've never heard of Howard Clark, but if it is just based on CR I wouldn't worry about it. CR does syndicate it's articles, so you will often see a lot of coverage of the same thing.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Ah yes, the infamous trash article from Consumer Reports. Ignore it, it's garbage. There are no widespread reliability issues with these trucks, so enjoy your truck and don't give that article a second thought.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Clark...
I've listened to him for a few years. He does a radio show teaching folks how to squeeze pennies.
Clark is so cheap, if it were legal to melt down pennies and sell the copper, he would be scrounging for copper pennies at the bank.
He's the cheapest person I've ever listened to, aside from Dave Ramsey. The difference between the two is Dave will have you be cheap for a certain time, till you get stable. Clark on the other hand, he's on another level. But what he does do is a very entertaining radio show and you do learn some interesting factoids that are usually useful.
As for the Twins report, it doesn't mater. Clark wouldn't ever recommend you buy any vehicle over $13K new. He is that cheap.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
I guess I missed the widespread tensioner and timing chain failures on 2nd generations. Granted, I have a 2015, with 93K, and other than an issue with the electric power steering right after delivery, it just keeps trucking along.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I researched for quite a while before buying and saw absolutely nothing on reliability issues. Only trouble I've had in my 17 is a DPF replaced under warranty, it was a self caused issue, I run to many short trips with it to get the filter to temp, so now I have to throw in a weekly roadtrip. (Theres been worse problems to have)

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Clark Who?

Don't over think this. Many people spend more time worrying about issues that may never happen than the time they do spend if they do happen.

Every truck out there has some sort of set of issues that could or might happen. None are perfect. Just keep this web site and drive the truck. Odds are you will be fine and if not we are here to help.

The bottom line is the majority of owners here have had good service and those not having any issues seldom post threads saying they are not having issues. Odds are much greater for getting into an accident but yet you still leave the house everyday. This is the same thing.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't over think this. Many people spend more time worrying about issues that may never happen than the time they do spend if they do happen.
I agree. Back in the 80s I bought a used Fiat X/1-9, knowing of it's reliability issues. Other than a vapor lock during a mutli-state non-stop drive, the only issues with the car were the ones it came with from the prior owner. Oh, and a leaky oil pressure sender.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
The best thing to do in a situation like this is go read competitor forums. Hang out on Tacoma, Ranger and Frontier forums and read about all their issues and you won't worry about your GM anymore. All vehicles have issues.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I agree. Back in the 80s I bought a used Fiat X/1-9, knowing of it's reliability issues. Other than a vapor lock during a mutli-state non-stop drive, the only issues with the car were the ones it came with from the prior owner. Oh, and a leaky oil pressure sender.
You just need to read the forums and keep things in perspective.

There are things that are known and then there are things that could or might. Just use good judgment based on what it is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Redliner04...don't worry about it. If it wasn't for the 8 speed automatic issue that was found in the 2017 and up models, I'd say these trucks are fairly to mostly reliable. I have a 2015 V6, and it's been a good truck for me...although I did have to replace a leaky evaporator recently. Big job, but this is not common. I couldn't find much on it before we decided to tackle it and replace. As for the chain and tensioner issues...I can't say I've seen that crop up as an issue hardly at all on these trucks, and I've followed them closely since launch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
8 speed automatic issue that was found in the 2017 and up models
According to multiple people I've spoken to, the late 2019 run and moving forward shouldn't have any major issues in the transmissions because they've likely gotten rid of the components that were causing the problems.

transmission surging and the timing chain and or tensioner failures
Like I said above, transmission surge and vibration should be gone after the most recent recall / service changes. As for timing chain tensioner failures? I've never found anything 100% consistent on that problem, and typically in most engines that use long timing chains you won't see that issue crop up unless it's a serious defect in almost any iteration of the vehicle with that engine or the engine's been ridden hard and put away wet.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The best thing to do in a situation like this is go read competitor forums. Hang out on Tacoma, Ranger and Frontier forums and read about all their issues and you won't worry about your GM anymore. All vehicles have issues.
Given people often just post when they have an issue, I find there are relatively few posts of problems. Transmission shudder and rattles seem to be the most frequent complaints.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Given people often just post when they have an issue, I find there are relatively few posts of problems. Transmission shudder and rattles seem to be the most frequent complaints.
Really, outside of the shudder issue, the complaints around here are few and far between. I think the second largest issue I have seen involves battery failures.

Can't wait to get an electric vehicle, oops, hope the battery warranty is up to snuff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Obviously, we're biased. We love our trucks. I really don't care what any "deleted by moderator" thinks about my truck, my politics or what I do. I bought this truck of mine because it's AMERICAN made, by AMERICANS! My truck looks great and runs great because I take care of it and fix it when it'e sick. there is not a truck on earth that doesn't have any bumps, warts, or problems.....just ask Elon Musk :) ....enjoy the ride....take pride in driving an AMERICAN ICON of the FREE open roads....wave at the the other GMC/Chevy trucks as they go.....fix your truck when it breaks and take pride in being able to do so. Ok....I'll get off my soapbox now and take my meds......

1 - 20 of 148 Posts