Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here have a meth/water injection setup on their diesel? I'm wondering if it would be worth a try on the little Duramax? Was poking around the Snow Performance website reading on this kit here, probably too much for the little 2.8 but surely it could be toned down a bit. http://www.snowperformance.net/Duramax-POWER-MAX-Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit-p/430.htm

I like a couple of these benefits;
Benefits:

• Made In USA
  • Will Not Leave Signature On Vehicle (Warranty Intact Power Added!)
  • Reduced EGTs 100-300 Degrees
  • Increased HP 65+
  • Increased Boost
  • Cleans Engine Combustion Of Carbon Build Up
  • Reduced Emissions (Less Regen)
  • New Prime Feature Ensures Water-Methanol In Lines With Push of A Button
  • 2 Fault Modes (Clogged Line/Broken Line)
I just curious about how you think this might work on our little Duramax or if it would even be worth the effort. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'm all ears.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pretty sure if you try and put Methanol in a Diesel engine bad things are going to happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pretty sure if you try and put Methanol in a Diesel engine bad things are going to happen.
The kit he linked to is specifically for Diesel engines.

I expect it would void the vast majority of your power train warranty, would 65 more HP be worth that????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that it's been pretty common for years, hell I think that it's used in a lot of 18 wheelers for better mileage etc. though I could be wrong.

I expect it would void the vast majority of your power train warranty, would 65 more HP be worth that????
Just noticed that they also offer a kit for the Jeep and VW diesel, hadn't noticed that before. Not really looking for HP but more of what I put in bold/red in the OP. Just curious if anyone here had tried it on the 2.8L diesel engine, seems it'd be more popular but guess not.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Considering the meth epidemic in our country, I really wish your title spelled out Methanol. You probably got a bunch of druggies thinking they can juice up their vehicle and themselves with the same concoction.:frown2:

Without taking into account the impact on the warranty I would think a 65 HP increase on the stock 181 HP would be well worth it. A 33% increase is a nice improvement. If you cut down on the regen cycles, that has to really boost the MPGs.

The question is can GM tell what you did and void your warranty?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Considering the meth epidemic in our country, I really wish your title spelled out Methanol. You probably got a bunch of druggies thinking they can juice up their vehicle and themselves with the same concoction.:frown2:
So if you inject your "meth" into the DEF tank and it causes the DEF to crystallize, what do you have? :)

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Registered
344 Posts
There was a thread on it on here. No financial benefit, marginal performance benefit since those numbers are based on a full size truck that makes 900lbs of torque. I don't see it as worth it but for the person who thinks they need every possible performance part on their truck, or want the possible regen benefit, and aren't doing it for a misguided financial payback...have at it.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/226-diesel/314282-velly-velly-intelesting-2.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speaking def, i would delete the truck, then use the def tank as the reservoir for the water meth. keeps you from taking the low level alarm from your wiper fluid tank like the old days :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
AFE cold side has a meth bung pre welded into it. I plan to run meth as I have seen benefits from it on other vehicles. As well as help keep intake valves and manifold clean. I was thinking of using the def tank as well and then you would have a slick way of filling up your meth tank right at the fuel door :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts

Well slap my mamma, never heard of it being used on a diesel (but I'm new to diesels). I have a Alky Control Meth kit on my Vette, and its the ****. The methanol is burned as fuel however, so I assumed because the ignition/burn rate of alcohol and diesel fuel is so different it would create combustion problems. Still can't wrap my head around how that would work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
^^^
Yep, agreed. I can't comprehend the whole diesel/alcohol/water combustion combination... I've ran Water/meth kits on several of my FI'd cars previously with impressive results. I'd probably run a setup on the Canyon if I knew there were confirmed improvements in power, MPG, and a reduction of engine buildup.

Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Canyon that was my exact idea. Utilize the DEF tank and run a single meth nozzle in the cold side charge tube. Could have it dialed in spray at a certain boost pressure (10psi or so). I had an Alky meth kit on my AA Supercharged 2016 Corvette. Helped with both heat control and with fighting off knock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I asked Snow Performance about a kit specifically for the BabyMax, and they said that we should be using the Universal kit instead of the ones for the 6.6Ls. Also, most people just use windshield wiper fluid that has 20% methanol, and inject straight from the fluid tank to the air intake. When I asked duramaxtuners about how their tunes would work with a water/meth kit, they recommended against , or any other injection system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.