Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
590 Posts
Mechanic regurgitating GM propaganda. The damn truck should have never had an air damn to start with - the original diagrams and drawings for the truck did not have one. It was placed there later in the game at the behest of GM bean counters bowing to the EPA gods in the corner to try and squeeze as much MPG as possible - truck functionality be damned.

Take it off and never look back - take it off yourself - took me 45 min and one tool.

There are also a lot of owner's manual worshipers in here - if its in the manual it MUST be gospel. I gave up on that notion years and years ago.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon AT 4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,431 Posts
Mechanic regurgitating GM propaganda. The damn truck should have never had an air damn to start with - the original diagrams and drawings for the truck did not have one. It was placed there later in the game at the behest of GM bean counters bowing to the EPA gods in the corner to try and squeeze as much MPG as possible - truck functionality be damned.

Take it off and never look back - take it off yourself - took me 45 min and one tool.

There are also a lot of owner's manual worshipers in here - if its in the manual it MUST be gospel. I gave up on that notion years and years ago.
I'd love to see these "original" diagrams and drawings. Now it is obvious from all my DIY modifications that I hardly worship the owner's manual, but I'm also smart enough to know that GM wouldn't put a Caution about removing the air dam in there for absolutely no reason at all...

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Well, mines 5 years old now, had the fascia taken off in my driveway the day I got it and Im doing just fine......same goes for the more than half of us that have removed it. And in those 5 years, I have not heard of a single solitary heating issue with a single one yet.

At the end of the day, if you like it, keep it on. If you dont, take it off. Its your truck so you can do with it what you want.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
153 Posts
As I stated earlier, removed mine the day I bought it.

But I don’t understand the hate for GM making it part of the design. A 1 mpg gain is a 4% improvement in fuel economy which is important in keeping the EPA pacified. And a lot of people aren’t upset by the looks and don’t off-road, so why not have it?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well, mines 5 years old now, had the fascia taken off in my driveway the day I got it and Im doing just fine......same goes for the more than half of us that have removed it. And in those 5 years, I have not heard of a single solitary heating issue with a single one yet.

At the end of the day, if you like it, keep it on. If you dont, take it off. Its your truck so you can do with it what you want.
There are quite a few threads on transmission temps while towing and adding coolers. I would be willing to bet the majority of those guys have a ZR2 or air dam removed.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
As I stated earlier, removed mine the day I bought it.

But I don’t understand the hate for GM making it part of the design. A 1 mpg gain is a 4% improvement in fuel economy which is important in keeping the EPA pacified. And a lot of people aren’t upset by the looks and don’t off-road, so why not have it?
Apparently takes a combined effort to yield 1 MPG, although this is referring to full size light trucks. In my experience going to heavier offroad tires with more aggressive tread pattern was what had a very obvious hit on MPG for all the trucks I have owned.

Pickup Truck Fuel Economy - How to get the most possible mileage out of a pickup - Motor Trend

Nathan Wilmot, a performance engineer on GM's Energy Expert Team, estimates that the tonneau cover gives a 0.1- to 0.2-mpg improvement, the air dam maybe 0.05 mpg, and the slightly lowered suspension another 0.05 mpg. "A rough rule of thumb is about 0.1 mpg EPA combined improvement for each 10 'counts' [0.01 Cd] reduction on a full-size truck," he says. "There's no real gain on the city test, but you'll see more than double that in highway mpg."

Another rule of thumb, Wilmot adds, is about a 0.7-mpg (EPA combined) benefit per 500 pounds in weight savings. But since the total weight savings of the (costlier) aluminum parts on the XFE trucks is much less than that, he estimates their combined benefit at maybe 0.2 mpg. A further 0.2- to 0.3-mpg improvement, he says, comes from the low-rolling-resistance tires and another small increment from the taller axle ratio, which saves fuel mostly at highway speeds. Add those tenths up, and the total rounds off to the advertised 1.0-mpg improvement.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mechanic regurgitating GM propaganda.

the original diagrams and drawings for the truck did not have one.
Propaganda, gee you must be a democrat, they love that term...

Please share these which you don't have. I know what you are referring to, the early photos of the truck when it was released and the Z71 up in the mountains with it off. I promise after the early sketches on the style once they started designing and testing this especially in the wind tunnel it has always been on there, no slapped on at the end.

Apparently takes a combined effort to yield 1 MPG, although this is referring to full size light trucks. In my experience going to heavier offroad tires with more aggressive tread pattern was what had a very obvious hit on MPG for all the trucks I have owned.

Pickup Truck Fuel Economy - How to get the most possible mileage out of a pickup - Motor Trend

Nathan Wilmot, a performance engineer on GM's Energy Expert Team, estimates that the tonneau cover gives a 0.1- to 0.2-mpg improvement, the air dam maybe 0.05 mpg, and the slightly lowered suspension another 0.05 mpg. "A rough rule of thumb is about 0.1 mpg EPA combined improvement for each 10 'counts' [0.01 Cd] reduction on a full-size truck," he says. "There's no real gain on the city test, but you'll see more than double that in highway mpg."

Another rule of thumb, Wilmot adds, is about a 0.7-mpg (EPA combined) benefit per 500 pounds in weight savings. But since the total weight savings of the (costlier) aluminum parts on the XFE trucks is much less than that, he estimates their combined benefit at maybe 0.2 mpg. A further 0.2- to 0.3-mpg improvement, he says, comes from the low-rolling-resistance tires and another small increment from the taller axle ratio, which saves fuel mostly at highway speeds. Add those tenths up, and the total rounds off to the advertised 1.0-mpg improvement.

Anita Burke, the chief engineer on the Colorado and Canyon even states it is estimated to drop highway mpg by 1 in her interview. Motortrend did a test and found it impacted highway mpg from 31.9 mpg to 30.6 mpg on the highway cycle with the Diesel. She said they paid attention to how the air floats around the fenders, the lamps, the hood, the roof, and that air dam is a key attribute to it, so there will be a notable difference in fuel economy once you remove it.

Finally on the improper air flow warning she says the cooling properties change with the air dam removal, especially those with active grille shutters. It doesn't say in the manual about over heating just cooling properties which they saw changed, again like I noted they probably saw a regular change of some degrees in the cooling during testing with it on versus off. They wouldn't put out a vehicle where a part that can be removed would cause over heating, but they saw cooling temps change so they added that to cover their own as*. If you have it removed, have some damaged cooling fins and maybe come clogged from mud from being off road then are trying to push the towing limits in the summer up a steep climb with out the air dam it may cause cooling issues as it already (as stated from the lead engineer) changes the cooling properties. She said she can't envision an engine being damaged with it removed; I highly doubt anyone will see an issue, but it is present as it is called out and well documented as for what the cause and effect is having it on and off. No propaganda, just testing and engineering science and a reason why it was actually put in there.

Tyler

·
Registered
119 Posts
Propaganda, gee you must be a democrat, they love that term...

Please share these which you don't have. I know what you are referring to, the early photos of the truck when it was released and the Z71 up in the mountains with it off. I promise after the early sketches on the style once they started designing and testing this especially in the wind tunnel it has always been on there, no slapped on at the end.

Anita Burke, the chief engineer on the Colorado and Canyon even states it is estimated to drop highway mpg by 1 in her interview. Motortrend did a test and found it impacted highway mpg from 31.9 mpg to 30.6 mpg on the highway cycle with the Diesel. She said they paid attention to how the air floats around the fenders, the lamps, the hood, the roof, and that air dam is a key attribute to it, so there will be a notable difference in fuel economy once you remove it.

Finally on the improper air flow warning she says the cooling properties change with the air dam removal, especially those with active grille shutters. It doesn't say in the manual about over heating just cooling properties which they saw changed, again like I noted they probably saw a regular change of some degrees in the cooling during testing with it on versus off. They wouldn't put out a vehicle where a part that can be removed would cause over heating, but they saw cooling temps change so they added that to cover their own as*. If you have it removed, have some damaged cooling fins and maybe come clogged from mud from being off road then are trying to push the towing limits in the summer up a steep climb with out the air dam it may cause cooling issues as it already (as stated from the lead engineer) changes the cooling properties. She said she can't envision an engine being damaged with it removed; I highly doubt anyone will see an issue, but it is present as it is called out and well documented as for what the cause and effect is having it on and off. No propaganda, just testing and engineering science and a reason why it was actually put in there.

Tyler
I know a guy that has been driving his F-150 for three years with his tail gate removed swears he gets 4mpg increase, even though this has been debunked.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

Tyler
Very interesting that according to the Colorado/Canyon engineer the front air dam is worth 1 MPG but according to the performance engineer on GM's Energy Expert Team, the air dam maybe 0.05 mpg on a Silverado. Odd that the two trucks would apparently respond so differently........I am still wondering what the forward facing scoop on the panel behind my front air dam on my Canyon does, like which way does the air flow if the air dam creates a low pressure area?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Very interesting that according to the Colorado/Canyon engineer the front air dam is worth 1 MPG but according to the performance engineer on GM's Energy Expert Team, the air dam maybe 0.05 mpg on a Silverado. Odd that the two trucks would apparently respond so differently........I am still wondering what the forward facing scoop on the panel behind my front air dam on my Canyon does, like which way does the air flow if the air dam creates a low pressure area?
That's easy. The Silverado is bigger, has different engines, different gearing, higher ride height, etc. so the air dam on a FS truck will have less impact. As for the "scoop", that's a great question. Air always flows from high to low pressure so maybe when the air dam is on it goes out, and when it's off it either goes in or it just whirls around in circles if the air pressure in the engine compartment is higher? I think speed is also a big factor here.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Can you imagine how boring your life must be if your job at GM or anywhere else is to figure out tenths of a MPG vs airflow. I think Id rather watch paint dry on the wall.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Can you imagine how boring your life must be if your job at GM or anywhere else is to figure out tenths of a MPG vs airflow. I think Id rather watch paint dry on the wall.
Idk, I would think that bringing concept art to a reality with engineering design and then testing it in wind tunnels should be slightly more interesting than watching paint dry lol

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,264 Posts
The increase in fuel economy is because of the few tenths from many things. I they find 4 different things that each at 5/10 mpg. Now you have increases overall mpg by 2 mpg. that is the big difference.

But, if you need to remove the air dam for clearance or can't stand it... remove it.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
304 Posts
Why is this thread 138 posts long??

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
208 Posts