Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just made a 525 mile trip around 500 on "B" roads and 25 city. It was around 4 hours each way driving averaging around 65 mph in Georgia (read: hot). I did not have any overheating and averaged 24.4 mpg with a high of 28 when cruising on some of the 60 mph stretches (according to the DIC).

I don't know if I would have had better mileage with an air dam because I removed it almost immediately but as far as overheating, no issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder what the guys was doing for lifted trucks? I've seen most without the air dam. I have the zone combo lift and ground clearence is a LOT better than stock now but since I already lost 2mpg with the lift, I haven't bothered to remove mine yet.

Thought it's really tempting seeing the twins without the mini skirt !

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are many potential causes to engine overheating. But as has been pointed out, the two most common causes of overheating will be low coolant level or insufficient airflow across the radiator.
Low coolant can be caused by: a leaking radiator, hoses, or heater core. You could have a failed head gasket, or it could be a cracked head or block. It could also be a failed water pump that is leaking. Or, if you just exchanged your coolant, it could just be an air bubble (this will only cause intermittent overheating). Finally, a failed pressure cap or reservoir can cause coolant loss, or improper reintroduction of coolant. A radiator pressure test is the easiest way to diagnose this and maybe a combustion gas test and visual inspection of your oxygen sensors for byproducts of burning coolant. Shareit vidmate

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve heard this. I believe it was motortrend who during their long term testing removed their airdam and asked GM about it. The official Engineer response to them was that the airdam is there for both cooling and mpg reasons. But I believe the engineers also told them the difference may not be noticed.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
A GM engineer made a video specially saying it not only can be removed, that it should be removed if you are going off roading because it will be torn off.

Id go looking for it but Ive already posted it half a dozen times here on the forums.

If has zero impact on cooling, and its impact on mileage is so negligible to barely be noticed.

But, toi each their own. If you like it, keep it on, if you dont, take it off. The only one thats gonna care about it is YOU !!!:cool:

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
The real test are those who tow, in hot climates, and if they say no overheating, I would call that good enough testing. Looks like several are saying no overheating.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a hard time believing that GM or any OEM would put something on that has no function. Every company is always trying to reduce costs. If it makes no difference in cooling or MPG it would not be there. We don't test the truck in all the ways GM does. It has to have some function.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have a hard time believing that GM or any OEM would put something on that has no function. Every company is always trying to reduce costs. If it makes no difference in cooling or MPG it would not be there. We don't test the truck in all the ways GM does. It has to have some function.
I suspect it does have a marginal impact on both cooling and MPG. Note on the diesels they put two blocks in at the lower openings just above the air dam. As you note, they wouldn't do that without a reason.

There's a thread here somewhere (may even be this one) where several owners take the dam off and then cut it down so it's an inch or two shorter. It would be a compromise, but mainly it would mean you wouldn't hit so many things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve heard this. I believe it was motortrend who during their long term testing removed their airdam and asked GM about it. The official Engineer response to them was that the airdam is there for both cooling and mpg reasons. But I believe the engineers also told them the difference may not be noticed.
I hope my reply was helpful! 9apps app cartoon hd

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is absolutely there for a reason, largely MPG. Those who have noticed a difference with/without the dam do a lot of highway miles at higher speeds. If all you're doing is booting around town, you will not see a difference in MPG. It probably only cost GM pennies per vehicle, and for them to be able to report to the EPA a lower MPG number makes it worth it.

For what it's worth, I took mine off when I installed GM OE skid plates and even in the instructions it says that if you are going to remove the air dam, it is advisable to do so before installing the skid plates. The owner's manual even mentions removing it for off road use. I drive a mix of highway and city and was tired of hitting it on rocks at camp sites, curbs in parking lots, and on snow banks in the winter. I considered trimming it but that would be a permanent modification. By removing it I still have the option to reinstall it if my needs for the truck change. The only difference to driving dynamics I noticed was that the front end feels a bit less planted. Not scary/dangerous or anything, but the steering definitely feels a bit looser. Others have reported this as well.

My advice if you're on the fence about removing it is to be realistic and honest with yourself about how you use your truck and decide if it is worth sacrificing a small amount of highway MPG for extra ground clearance. If you plan to tow regularly I would leave it on. If you plan to install a lift, I don't know why you wouldn't take it off, even if all you're doing is building a parking lot princess. Keeping a piece of aero plastic on a truck when you just killed your MPG with a lift and giant tires makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A GM engineer made a video specially saying it not only can be removed, that it should be removed if you are going off roading because it will be torn off.

Id go looking for it but Ive already posted it half a dozen times here on the forums.

If has zero impact on cooling, and its impact on mileage is so negligible to barely be noticed.

But, toi each their own. If you like it, keep it on, if you dont, take it off. The only one thats gonna care about it is YOU !!!:cool:
Zero impact? Glad to know you know more than those that designed and tested the truck. So I guess GM just wasted $136 in extra ink to type it in the owners manuals for all the trucks they have sold. Someone should let them know they have found a cost cutting measure!

Tyler

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Not sure where you got a figure of $136 for GM to print it in the owners manual?

Also, I guess I have to stand corrected. l I couldn't find anything about installing an airdam on the ZR2. Oh wait.........

·
Registered
169 Posts
The air dam should be mounted if towing, removed if off-roading, if normal everyday driving is your thing you could keep it on for a small increase in MPG or keep it off for looks.......its your vehicle choose your poison, but be warned the advice I have read on many forums is as valuable as a FACEBOOK GROUP automobile repair analysis....I've actually seen replies that say use any coolant there all the same or, 5w-30 and 0w-20 as long as theres oil in there you will be ok......use common sense and not everyone knows what there talking about....your investment your call....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here, I’ll put this to rest. I have 100K on my 16 Colorado and have had the air dam off since Day 1. I get 22 highway with a 1” inch lift and KO2s.
The air dam is hideous and useless. Remove it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lots of misinformation in here. First the mechanic is correct, it can under certain conditions cause overheating issues. Just because the 10 people in here say they haven't had a problem doesn't mean it isn't a possibility or wasn't found in testing. If it wasn't an issue, why is it called out in the manual?

"To gain more ground clearance if
needed, it may be necessary to
remove the front fascia lower air
dam. However, driving without the
air dam reduces fuel economy.

Caution
Operating the vehicle for
extended periods without the front
fascia lower air dam installed can
cause improper airflow to the
engine. Reattach the front fascia
air dam after off-road driving."

As far as it doesn't impact MPG, that just is flat out incorrect. Again, just because a few people say they saw no impact doesn't make it true (it probably wasn't a big enough change to where they actually noticed, say going from 17.1 to 17.3). It is a solid 1+ mpg on the highway. Shoot, I did a before and after removal on my Silverado with a smaller valance and it lost 1.3 mpg over a 17 mile loop back to back with in an hour time frame at 70 mph with cruise set. If you do more city driving the overall average impact will be less, if you spend a ton of time on the highway it will be more. Either way they wouldn't put it on if it didn't help. Nor would they make a disclaimer if they didn't find some scenario where the truck got hot. Like someone said above probably towing a flat front trailer slowly up a grade in 110 degree heat with a full load on the hitch which probably no one here has done (towing a boat or open car trailer is completely different).

Your mechanic is correct, it is up to you to decide if you want to or not. Chances are you will be fine, but they have to warn you. The whole low pressure area was big on the f-body cars if I remember correctly (it may have been another 90's GM model) where with out the chin spoiler under the car it would tend to over heat for the exact reason the low pressure area wasn't there to allow air to move more freely. As soon as they put it back on poof, normal operating temps. Granted our trucks are a little different but that is part of the design...

Lot's of information on this out there, just have to search.

Tyler
With the Fbody's(i've owned three 4th Gens) the lower dam actually directs air up into the radiator/condenser. Some people remove them because they can scrape but you're correct as it makes a big difference in how much air gets up into the area it needs. My current '02 Z28 makes just north of 500hp N/A and i have a 4L80 in it with a 3400 stall and a huge trans cooler in the front and i've never had my car overheat, even in traffic. I've still got my air dam and it won't leave because of that.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,269 Posts
"Well, I'm here, however the mechanic just warned me that the air dam isn't only for MPGs. He says it creates a low pressure area under the truck which helps cool it,..................."

It is true about the low pressure being created, But besides the help with MPGs, the air-dam will create a lower pressure in comparison to the higher pressure going over the truck. This is only going to be an issue at higher speeds. Some people have complained of poor handling at speeds above 70 mph. This would be due to the lift effect. Anyone remember the 90's era Mustang LX Police Cars. They had a bad habit of going airborne at high speed. But the Mustang GT 5.0 didn't have the same issue. The difference of the rear wing and ground effects was the issue. Not like the Colorado/Canyon is meant for super high speeds.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I probably posted this before but here goes. I know the air dam on a 90s police Caprice makes a big difference at high speeds for cooling. And I know they got torn off cop cars like there is no tomorrow too.

There is no doubt in my mind it helps send more air though our radiators, but I don't think we need more air either. It gets well over 100 deg every summer here and I have NEVER seen my temp gauge go up one little bit. I don't tow 5000lbs either so there's that. Also, there is no doubt in my mind it helps with MPG. Not much but still. Anyway almost 100 post all about this silly, hated thing is comical and entertaining, I had to join in! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Hello everyone,

I've spent a good amount of money on aftermarket stuff at my dealership so they told me they'd take off the air dam for free next time I was in getting stuff done.

Well, I'm here, however the mechanic just warned me that the air dam isn't only for MPGs. He says it creates a low pressure area under the truck which helps cool it, especially when http://tradevenue.se/
He said he's never seen any issues with it but to watch my temperature gauges.

Anyone heard of this?? I'm still getting it taken off but I wondered if anyone here who had gotten the dam removed had any experiences w/ this.

Thank you!
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
165 Posts
FWIW...and, yes, I know its a completely different animal, but I will upload pictures of a 2007 Titan 4WD I purchased brand new. It came from the factory WITHOUT an air dam. After seeing the 2WD Titans with an air dam, I thought the front end might look better WITH an air dam on it (strictly for aesthetic purposes only). So, I purchased a new air dam from Nissan and mounted it on the truck. No real differences in ride, handling, fuel efficiency, or engine temperature. Why would a manufacturer leave an item OFF of one model yet place it on another similar model if it was so vital?! By the way, this same discussion was being held on a Nissan Titan forum 13 years ago. ;)

81 - 100 of 102 Posts