Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Having shutters in front of an intercooler would make little sense regardless of the room available. And the electric "computer controlled" fan could also be run when needed for the intercooler (although they could do the same with an electric fan).

One thing I will agree with Sonic on is it's not very smooth underneath the Colorado.

Right, I mentioned not blocking the intercooler with shutters in another thread. :nerd: My point was that their assumption that the lack of shutters was due to cost was incorrect, cost had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Right, I mentioned not blocking the intercooler with shutters in another thread. :nerd: My point was that their assumption that the lack of shutters was due to cost was incorrect, cost had nothing to do with it.
The comment was more for the other person than you.

On the topic though, if you read the Duramax supplement (which I'm sure you have) it also says you should not put a radiator cover (or whatever those extreme cold weather grill covers are called) on the Colorado/Canyon. I wonder if that has something to do with the intercooler too--not sure if the other vehicles covered by the manual have an intercooler, or its location if they do.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The comment was more for the other person than you.

On the topic though, if you read the Duramax supplement (which I'm sure you have) it also says you should not put a radiator cover (or whatever those extreme cold weather grill covers are called) on the Colorado/Canyon. I wonder if that has something to do with the intercooler too--not sure if the other vehicles covered by the manual have an intercooler, or its location if they do.

Indeed, I've seen that and looked into that even before I bought my truck because of the winters here. Winter covers are allowed on all the other diesel GM trucks and vans so covering the intercooler isn't the concern with the other vehicles. The only thing I can think of is the twins have some temperature sensors that come into play and the winter cover can cause them to give "false" readings or trigger codes, similar to the concern of running a block heater without a thermostat when it's not cold enough as that supposedly also can trigger a CEL.

Having driven my truck in -10F weather and not experienced any issues with heat I don't see any reason to go against GM's words and run a winter front, the truck has been fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, this has been my experience with removing the air dam. Then I added armor (Superskidz's) and found I was seeing an increase in both engine coolant and transmission fluid temps.
Nothing alarming but under normal summertime driving conditions in the Easter Sierra, I'd see 15 - 20 degree temperature rises in the trans fluid and 5 - 10 for engine coolant.
Off road wasn't as bad for some reason, perhaps as the OAT's dropped below the 90's (corresponding to the altitude changes) and driving at 15 - 30 mph instead of 65 - 75 at highway speed.
After dropping the air dam alone and no armor, I think I noticed a solid 1 - 2 mpg average loss. When the armor went on I haven't noticed any change in mpg.
But adding the RTT dropped me another 1.5 mpg so it's all a trade off.
With the truck loaded for the overlanding or high country trips, I'm still averaging 24 mpg on most trips. Full disclosure though, I did an aftermarket engine / trans tune all about the same time so I cannot say how close to stock I am on those numbers.
I've seen some interesting and frankly unbelievable mpg numbers quoted by people on here with the LWM engine so let the buyer beware when making comparisons.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I know this is the internet but, I still like to use facts.

Fact: GMs own engineers (program manager) tell you if you are going off roading to take the air damn off. They dont say 'go off roading but only for 30 minutes due to cooling"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lO1LRB4dc 2:15 he tells you to remove it.

Fact: GMs Owners manual tells you to remove it for offroading

Fact: I not only took mine off, but replaced the entire bumper assembly which has zero aerodynamic anilities and added a lot more weight and my temps are on the low end of the temp range.

Fact: since I installed my bumpers, I have suffered 1/10 of a MPG change so.....you got me on that one.

Fact: With no air dam, I dont even need to jack my truck up or put it on ramps to change the oil. (Im only 195 pounds so, cant verify whether some of our more robust members can fit under there as easily)

But at the end of the day, I did what others have done.....I did it to make me happy. Maybe the snow plow suits you....it simply didnt suit me.

Besides, I was afraid zombies would get stuck under there if I ran them over.

And last fact: Yea, Im gonna show it off....what else is new. :grin2:
My lord, all that just to post another pic of your truck! ahahaha

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lots of misinformation in here. First the mechanic is correct, it can under certain conditions cause overheating issues. Just because the 10 people in here say they haven't had a problem doesn't mean it isn't a possibility or wasn't found in testing. If it wasn't an issue, why is it called out in the manual?

"To gain more ground clearance if
needed, it may be necessary to
remove the front fascia lower air
dam. However, driving without the
air dam reduces fuel economy.

Caution
Operating the vehicle for
extended periods without the front
fascia lower air dam installed can
cause improper airflow to the
engine. Reattach the front fascia
air dam after off-road driving."

As far as it doesn't impact MPG, that just is flat out incorrect. Again, just because a few people say they saw no impact doesn't make it true (it probably wasn't a big enough change to where they actually noticed, say going from 17.1 to 17.3). It is a solid 1+ mpg on the highway. Shoot, I did a before and after removal on my Silverado with a smaller valance and it lost 1.3 mpg over a 17 mile loop back to back with in an hour time frame at 70 mph with cruise set. If you do more city driving the overall average impact will be less, if you spend a ton of time on the highway it will be more. Either way they wouldn't put it on if it didn't help. Nor would they make a disclaimer if they didn't find some scenario where the truck got hot. Like someone said above probably towing a flat front trailer slowly up a grade in 110 degree heat with a full load on the hitch which probably no one here has done (towing a boat or open car trailer is completely different).

Your mechanic is correct, it is up to you to decide if you want to or not. Chances are you will be fine, but they have to warn you. The whole low pressure area was big on the f-body cars if I remember correctly (it may have been another 90's GM model) where with out the chin spoiler under the car it would tend to over heat for the exact reason the low pressure area wasn't there to allow air to move more freely. As soon as they put it back on poof, normal operating temps. Granted our trucks are a little different but that is part of the design...

Lot's of information on this out there, just have to search.

Tyler
You are correct, I have an 82 Camaro and if you take the chin spoiler off, it will always overheat, put it back on problem gone. I feel if it wasn't truly needed, GM would eliminate it for a cost savings and help their bottom line.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
You are correct, I have an 82 Camaro and if you take the chin spoiler off, it will always overheat, put it back on problem gone. I feel if it wasn't truly needed, GM would eliminate it for a cost savings and help their bottom line.
It isn't
needed. As already mentioned, they specifically tell you to take it off if you are going off roading. If having it off caused an sort of warranty issue, that statement alone would create a 'get out of jail free' scenario.

I suspect the ONLY reason its there is for the perceived higher estimated MPG, which every manufacturer is suppose to raise for EPA standards.

And if anyone thinks that manufacturers dont lie about their stated emission or MPG ratings, go ask someone over at Volkswagen how that worked out for them. >:)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
And if anyone thinks that manufacturers dont lie about their stated emission or MPG ratings, go ask someone over at Volkswagen how that worked out for them. >:)
Volkswagen didn't lie, there were just VERY creative.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I'll bet you a nickel if you put a new radiator in it it won't overheat.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My guess the lower row rating has to do with the suspension/tires used. Typically all terrain tires have lower load capacity

This has been covered before, the lower tow rating has to do with the suspension on the ZR2. A/T tires don’t have lower load capacity than other tires in the same load range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the main reason why everyone takes it off is soley of the low overhang? I was at a restaurnet for MD yesterday and noticed 3 Tacomas (2 off-road and one sports model ..all 3rd gen). They also have the air dam but it's not as thick/bukly as the twins and the Tacos don't have the factory rake so at first look, you won't even notice the air dam as much as the twins with the factory rake and the wider air dam.

People that end up putting level kits ..do they still remove it ? Curious.

After 2 months of ownership, I finally took my truck on a decent road trip (Sacramento to Napa valley, then San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, then back to Sac). If anything, I LOVED the gas milege ..averaged about 22mpg with stop/no traffic and highway. Was able to do the full route on a tank of gas and made it back. I do have the air dam on and now, I'm thinking perhaps to just level out my truck and leave it on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think the main reason why everyone takes it off is soley of the low overhang?
Probably! I live in a neighborhood with those stupid 70s-80s style "curbs" which are not really curbs and not really driveway entrances. They put those in so that they don't have to determine where driveways are in advance. If I don't back off that at an angle it will hit backing out. That's crazy for a 4WD/AWD vehicle that isn't a Legacy. :roll:

41 - 60 of 82 Posts