Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my May Car & Driver in the mail yesterday, lo and behold I find a midsize truck comparison. The Z71 came in first over Ridgeline, Ranger & Gladiator. Can't find an online link yet, will post when one is up. Toyota & Nissan excluded due to platform age, so it says.

Colorado Summary:
[+] Compared with the others, it drives like a 911
[-] Well, a 911 with a gritty engine and low-budget interior
[=] Most of the virtues of the other trucks all rolled into one

2,3,4 were Ridgeline, Gladiator, and Ranger in that order.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
but the tacoma outsells 1,2,3 & 4 recently

a few months ago c&d rated in that mid category: ridgeline-1 canyon-2 colorado-3 ranger-4 tacoma-5 with only ridgeline making '10 best' in mid-size. mix in the larger trucks: ram, raptor, then f150= #1,2,3 and ridgeline came in 4th in total p/up truck category...go figure

everybody has their likes/dislikes and theres an opinion for everything

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
but the tacoma outsells 1,2,3 & 4 recently
But sales don't mean quality. If they did then McDonalds would make the best hamburger in the country.

And sales don't mean informed consumers. If they did then flagship smartphones wouldn't be still selling in the numbers that they are.

Then there's the impact of brand loyalty, which is particularly strong in the pickup area, both full and midsize.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just got a 2019 GMC Canyon V6 4x4 Saturday. While the acceleration is decent in the Canyon, the transmission doesn't feel happy at low speeds or stop and go (especially while the engine is warming up a bit). I am hoping the transmission and programming loosen up soon. There are 45 miles on the odometer at this point. I had test driven a Z71 4x4 and it felt like a completely different truck powerwise. It really wanted to run and it would be more than happy to chirp the rear tires.

People above talking about the Tacoma, the Tacoma transmission was hoooooooooooorible. It always wanted top gear and the acceleration was really a slug. I find the Canyon far more comfortable and better to drive.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I just got a 2019 GMC Canyon V6 4x4 Saturday. While the acceleration is decent in the Canyon, the transmission doesn't feel happy at low speeds or stop and go (especially while the engine is warming up a bit). I am hoping the transmission and programming loosen up soon. There are 45 miles on the odometer at this point. I had test driven a Z71 4x4 and it felt like a completely different truck powerwise. It really wanted to run and it would be more than happy to chirp the rear tires.

People above talking about the Tacoma, the Tacoma transmission was hoooooooooooorible. It always wanted top gear and the acceleration was really a slug. I find the Canyon far more comfortable and better to drive.
Welcome aboard.

Almost all modern vehicles with auto transmission are designed to hold a lower gear while cold to enable a faster warmup. So, you will see a different performance cold versus hot engine.

Actually, as I think about it, that could be one of the reasons that so many manufacturers are not producing manual transmissions - they can't control the emissions issues. Not sure how that impacts the EPA ratings.

I chirped the OEM tires many times, however these Michelin replacements are not so easy to lay any rubber down, to much traction.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Hey Hawley!

I grew up in Waymart. Most of the people who read this won't have a clue where either place is!

Sorry for the thread-jack.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
While our trucks are not perfect they are better than the rest. But I think we all know that by now.

The shock to me is how Ford dropped the ball. Also the Jeep in. This test reveals more warts about the Jeep. The long wheel base off road is hurting it and the suspension setting off the stability control on a pave road is not good. It is good they have a solid following.

I am waiting for Toyota to bring a new model and I expect Ford will upgrade sooner than later. The unibody trucks are coming and they could lure away the CUV converts to our trucks but that I think will be limited.

Our new trucks can’t be too much farther out. GM will remail competitive.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts

Interesting, I picked my 2019 Canyon up 3 days after you got yours, I now have 825 klicks on the clock but mine has so far driven and felt like the Z71 you had mentioned! So far I have not seen the conditions you have described, can one vehicle be so different from the next? :surprise:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting, I picked my 2019 Canyon up 3 days after you got yours, I now have 825 klicks on the clock but mine has so far driven and felt like the Z71 you had mentioned! So far I have not seen the conditions you have described, can one vehicle be so different from the next? :surprise:
I had just over 100 mi on the clock when I took delivery of my 2019 Canyon (V6, 4x4) and thought the low end was very smooth and willing to give me the power... I have 4k on the clock now while it's broken in, the power and torque bands feel "normal" for a truck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts